Windows 10: Happily I'll never have to do this again

Discus and support Happily I'll never have to do this again in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I retire next year and I've supported PC's ever since DOS, then Windows. I have to date updated about a dozen client machines to Windows 10 and lately... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by krebbin, Nov 17, 2015.

1. krebbin Win User

Happily I'll never have to do this again

I retire next year and I've supported PC's ever since DOS, then Windows.
    I have to date updated about a dozen client machines to Windows 10 and lately my own. Lucky for me it was the only one that hasn't run into problems*chuckle.
    I find it hard to understand that after 20 odd years the mistakes and bugs coming from Microsoft appear to get worse.
    I've found myriad problems in installing, using and customizing Windows 10 but the last upgrade was the worst. It was a standard win 7 pro machine out of an office.
    The menu and search never worked, and none of the remedies helped. I added a user password, and then the thing refused to boot - flashing the "new" start screen at me repeatedly, and going nowhere.
    Start up repair didn't, system restore wouldn't and eventually I was forced to revert to 7. That option wasn't available, so I clicked on the Windows 10 icon and it actually went back to 7. Praise the lard!

It seems to take at least 2 days to ensure a stable system, and I'm running out of time*Eek.

After assisting many customers with the Vista and Win 8 debacles I can't take it anymore*Mad.

Col.

:)

krebbin, Nov 17, 2015
  2. Kosh---01 Win User

I'll never buy Nokia again

Hi Alexmosc,

First off welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way.

Because phones like the E5-00 (and similar phones) have limited memory available it is not possible to include all available language packs with the phone. Based on the phone's product code which is specific to a region or operator variant of a phone model
    a number of languages suitable to that productcode are included with the phone. If more space is available on a phone more languages can be included. It is possible to change these language packs but as this is a 'deep' System function it needs to be done
    at a a Nokia Care Point and may require a flash (complete rewrite) of the phone's memory.

Depending on regional rules of commerce (like within the EU) suppliers can buy phones from other regions (and productcodes) without loss of warranty for the location the phone will be sold. If such a phone does not have the local language often suppliers
    will have to exchange the language pack to enable the phone to be used with the local language. A side effect of this is that when an update becomes available the updater will install the languagepack which is officially linked to the phone's productcode.
    After this you will no longer have the local language available on the phone.

To resolve this you can either contact your supplier to ask them to arrange to have the correct languagepack installed or contact a
    Nokia Care Point who will be able to install it for you. If you have any questions on this or if it seems the Nokia Care Point is not able to do this for you I would suggest you contact your local
    Nokia Care Line for further assistance. If need be they could forward this to Nokia Care management.

Hope this helps you, let us know how you get on.

Kosh

Kosh---01, Nov 17, 2015
  3. I'll never buy Nokia again

Sorry to see this but bye bye if you feel so strong :smileysurprised:

techbuzzireland, Nov 17, 2015
  4. Happily I'll never have to do this again

Someone with your experience would understand that upgrade issues are usually caused by system instability or third-party drivers and apps. People need to realize that you can't refer to every issue as a bug in the OS. If it was a bug in the OS, it would be easily repeatable, by almost everyone. A bug means there is an error in the code, so everyone running Windows 10 would experience the error in that code.

In a business environment, there should be documented procedures for backing up user data, then cleanly installing a new OS from an image. Upgrades over older OSes are not something you'll see often in the business world.

DeaconFrost, Nov 17, 2015
  5. edobson Win User
    I'm in the process of upgrading user PC's to Windows 10 at my company and I've yet to run into any sort of issue you've described.
    As DeaconFrost said, upgrade issues are usually caused by third-party drivers, registry changes or system instability. You also have to consider whether the hardware itself is supported in Windows 10, which is very easy to check on manufacturer's websites.

As for your restore issues, best practice is to take a bit for bit image using something like Clonezilla or Acronis True Image before upgrading, then you have a simple and complete fall back option should you run into any issues.

edobson, Nov 17, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I've upgraded 8 computers at my house to everything from 32bit Home on tablets to 64bit Pro on desktops.

# of issues: 0.

NavyLCDR, Nov 17, 2015
  7. dafanman Win User
    Same here, I have just finished upgrade #44 and the only issue I have had was one of them locking up @ 30% configuring updates while updating windows 7 from a clean install, started that one over and spoon fed the updates a handful at a time and all was well.

*Cool

dafanman, Nov 17, 2015
  8. Happily I'll never have to do this again

After an upgrade, SFC scan, full disccleanup scan and other cleanup methods are mandatory.
    An upgrade went perfectly on mine maintained PC, but on the second one, it kept failing.
    Check bats I put together, they might give you some ideas: pastebin.com/u/

The first Windows was made by 2 people, now it is made like by 100 thousands, so it will only get worse.
    I can not login to MS store, because according to Windows I supposedly have no internet connection. *really

TairikuOkami, Nov 17, 2015
  9. CountMike New Member
    You know, many cooks...
    There's always a chance of something going wrong, Murphy never sleeps, eh ?

CountMike, Nov 17, 2015
  10. No one is saying ever Windows 10 install goes perfectly. All myself and others have been saying is that there is a difference between an issue and a bug. Not all issues, in fact almost none, are due to a bug. A bug is a problem with the code, that everyone would be affected by and can only be remedied by an update to fix the code. An issue is usually due to an incompatibility, bad driver, or third-party app that can be worked through in most cases.

11. DeaconFrost, yes mostly driver issues, but with all due respect :

- Microsoft is responsible for not ensure enough backward compatible
    - Microsoft don't let user chose what driver to install by the politics of automatic update
    - Microsoft deploy drivers that is indeed incompatible with hardware (for example Intel graphics drivers on some Asus computers)
    - Microsoft force update without checking potential compatibility with the hardware

Those are problematic since Windows 10.

I regret to move to Windows 10. If to do again, I would stay on Windows 8.1 (now it's too late)

Bruno Luong, Nov 17, 2015
  12. essenbe Win User
    Microsoft provides drivers released to them by the manufacturers of the components. If Intel supplies a defective driver, I think you are being too harsh on Microsoft. The manufacturers deserve much of the blame.

essenbe, Nov 17, 2015
  13. Happily I'll never have to do this again

No, it's not true.

I have an ASUS with apparent Intel 4th generation Graphics; but customized by Asus.

When I go to Asus site, it will recommends using a specific version of driver (not the latest), and it works for build 10240, and says the HW is incompatible with TH2

When I use Intel update driver tool, it refuses to update my driver because it detects Asus specific

However if I let Windows update the drivers, it uses a wrong driver and make my computer crashes.
    Similarly when I update to TH2, MS takes a liberty to use a wrong driver and it crashes the in the middle of the upgrading.

The fault is then entirely MS.

When I was using Vista, W7 or W8, I never have to worry about such issues with drivers.

I consider seriously buying my next computer with non windows OS after 25 years of MS loyal customer.

Bruno Luong, Nov 17, 2015
  14. ^Sorry, but according to your post, the fault would be with ASUS....

The grass is always greener...

DustSailor, Nov 17, 2015
  15. Some of your bullet points don't mesh with my personal experiences. It is literally impossible for Microsoft to ensure compatibility with every hardware combination in existence. On the flip side, Apple shouldn't have any software issues, yet they have quite a bit as well. If Apple can't get it right all the time with their own hardware in a closed architecture, how can anyone reasonably expect Microsoft to do so with billions of hardware iterations?

No one is stopping you from having the proper drivers saved to a flash drive, ready to go after the install, rather than relying an updaters or Windows Update.

Thema:

Happily I'll never have to do this again

1. Happily I'll never have to do this again - Similar Threads - Happily I'll never

2. mmres.dll the mystery I'll probably never find the answers to

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mmres.dll the mystery I'll probably never find the answers to: So Im digging through system resource files to see what I can find for putting together my own Msstyle, shellstyle, imageres and other UI/theme files. But when I get to mmres.dll I find that it has some .wav sounds in it so I start playing them and the last three files 3150,...
  3. mmres.dll the mystery I'll probably never find the answers to

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mmres.dll the mystery I'll probably never find the answers to: So Im digging through system resource files to see what I can find for putting together my own Msstyle, shellstyle, imageres and other UI/theme files. But when I get to mmres.dll I find that it has some .wav sounds in it so I start playing them and the last three files 3150,...
  4. Black screen and never open again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen and never open again: Hi. Ive been having problem with my laptop after shutting down and power on. Screen goes black. I try taking batter out but couldnt take the RAM out. trying a lot of shortcuts, But it never goes on like its dead....
  5. Black screen and never open again

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen and never open again: Hi. Ive been having problem with my laptop after shutting down and power on. Screen goes black. I try taking batter out but couldnt take the RAM out. trying a lot of shortcuts, But it never goes on like its dead....
  6. I have this error that we couldnt do the update properly but we can try again but it never...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have this error that we couldnt do the update properly but we can try again but it never...: [ATTACH]sorry its turkish https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-this-error-that-we-couldnt-do-the-update/744719b3-2dda-4618-ba70-0e2d86942f2f
  7. I'll never but another Windows operating system. No support whatsoever.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I'll never but another Windows operating system. No support whatsoever.: Lost audio by no fault of my own and no help from MS. Update erased drivers as usual, I'll contact exec offices about my concern. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ill-never-but-another-windows-operating-system-no/c635e96b-e3b7-4519-a324-e7841721a5cf
  8. Will NEVER buy Microsoft again

in Windows 10 Customization
    Will NEVER buy Microsoft again: Given this '1500462686' after 5 weeks of Windows 10 upgrade. Says they cannot contact me is a cop-out. Have to tweak Winaero a lot to use this MS-BS 10 garbage--from fonts to scrollbars and more. Cost me another $60 in Hughes.net tokens to deal with your many rotten...
  9. "NEVER AGAIN!" update option...

"NEVER AGAIN!" update option...: My Lenovo Ideapad 330 hates Windows updates. I have followed tutorials to turn off automatic updates, etc., but the OS continues to revert my attempts to turn off automatic updates. This is what I want: NEVER UPDATE AGAIN without my express permission. I don't want a pop up...
  10. Install options with legacy BIOS. If I dont ask, I'll never know...

Install options with legacy BIOS. If I dont ask, I'll never know...: I'm just trying to further my understanding with this. I always clean install by using the installation media to take the drive in question down to unallocated space, and then create a new partition and install Windows. That works well and gives me the small 'System...