Windows 10: Hard disk failed and chkdsk?

Discus and support Hard disk failed and chkdsk? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a disk that mainly contains data files. My disk have bad sectors and some of the files cannot be moved to another disk (it will stuck when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by comcom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. comcom Win User

Hard disk failed and chkdsk?

I have a disk that mainly contains data files. My disk have bad sectors and some of the files cannot be moved to another disk (it will stuck when moving and never complete 100%), most files are still normal (can read/edit/move). My Macrium reflect software is unable to do a backup on that disk.
    Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics failed, quick test did not complete, screenshot https://i.imgur.com/Xx7VXgu.png

I read that sometimes chkdsk /r can destroy hard disk and make it worse, and I am afraid to do any more things to it, I have some questions.

1. Should I do chkdsk /r first then save all the files to another new hard disk to replace the old hard disk?

2. Should I move all the files that are movable to a new hard disk (there will be some files that cannot be moved), then do chkdsk /r then move the files to a new hard disk?

3. Is moving or copying better? Is there some program that can auto skip the file that is stuck while move/copying? (so I do not need to stay by the PC to click next/skip when a file is stuck)

4. What is the the proper way to do chkdsk /r and is /r correct? Some say do it in DOS, some say do it in windows.

Thanks

:)

comcom, Jan 25, 2017

2. Windows 10 upgrade to Windows 7 has left computer not working - Windows Error Recovery

Upgrade failed with some hard disk errors. Hard disk replaced but each time upgrade failed still. Given up. Sticking with 7

muffinn2013, Jan 25, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jan 25, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

If it has bad blocks they are dead and any file is gone. You need to get a test programming from the disk makers site to test the drive there free. Copy what files you can before running checksum running it from a cmd prompt is best. What said you have bad blocks?

Samuria, Jan 25, 2017
  5. The results you got with the WD test app are not good, and suspect the drive could fail completely at any time.

As to moving vs. copying, I always do the latter when I need to worry about losing the source. If the move fails, that could happen.

Mark Phelps, Jan 25, 2017
  6. comcom Win User
    Is there a risk that if I switch off my PC now and I might not be able to access the hard disk again (not detected due to hard disk failure)? Should I power up my PC continuously until I have copied all the files to a new hard disk?

I was intending to switch off my PC to insert and connect a new 3.5inch internal hard disk for copying files to it and afraid that the old disk no longer works/detected if I switch off the power. I am thinking if I should just buy a usb external hard disk so I can just plug in and so that the pc power can be continuously switched on.

comcom, Jan 26, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Possibly, yes. It's hard to say how high risk, but it's probably safer to leave it turned on.

8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

depending on the amount of data you could back it up to the Cloud via Ms's OneDrive application before attempting any repairs.

External USB drive is also OK -- shouldn't cause any problems when connecting to computer.

COPY though rather than MOVE. You can always delete afterwards.

If sectors are truly bad then chuck the HDD after doing your recovery. Often DATA on the HDD is far more valuable than the HDD itself.
    Again though you should always have BACKUPS -- how many times to people emphasize this and STILL people don't do it.

Had you had backups then no probs whatsover - simply replace HDD and restore.

Anyway good to remember in future -- ALWAYS BACKUP OS AND IMPORTANT DATA.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hard disk failed and chkdsk? - Similar Threads - Hard disk failed

2. How to run chkdsk to repair the hard disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to run chkdsk to repair the hard disk: Recently one of my friends asked me about doing a disk scan because their hard disk has reduced functionality and I am asking this on behalf of him....
  3. How to run chkdsk to repair the hard disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to run chkdsk to repair the hard disk: Recently one of my friends asked me about doing a disk scan because their hard disk has reduced functionality and I am asking this on behalf of him....
  4. How to run chkdsk to repair the hard disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOlUME Be A Sign Of A Failing Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOlUME Be A Sign Of A Failing Hard Disk: On One Of My Windows 10 Benchmarking Computers While Testing The CPU Virtualization The Computer Randomly Crashed With UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME Then I Couldn't Access Windows So I Reinstalled Then Testing It Again I Got Multiple Error Messages Saying A Disk Opeation Failed...
  6. Using chkdsk and DISM.exe to decide whether hard disk must be replaced, and/or if there are...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using chkdsk and DISM.exe to decide whether hard disk must be replaced, and/or if there are...: Ref: Using chkdsk and DISM.exe to decide whether hard disk must be replaced, and/or if there are other solutions Hello there, After having done a clean install deleting all partitions using a Windows10 installation media DVD, I think that my hard drive might need to...
  7. Cannot chkdsk on hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot chkdsk on hard drive.: I got a new hard drive and plugged it in correctly, but it locks me out. when I try to do a chkdsk in command prompt it says: "Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk may be locked by another process. You have to invoke this utility running in...
  8. Hard disk file missing CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk file missing CHKDSK: Hello all, I am unable to access my data. the folder shows 0 Kb. I am also unable to access the FOUND.000, it shows access denied inspite of providing full control. Following log snapshot for reference. Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot....
  9. Failing hard drive and disk migration

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Failing hard drive and disk migration: Hi All, I hope you are well. I have a laptop with Windows 10 where I suspect the hard drive is failing - Samsung Momentus 750GB I have noticed that because the system is slow and in Task ManagerI can see hard drive working hard 100% most of the time with pretty low...
  10. chkdsk fails to run

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk fails to run: Installed new HDD which I cloned with my old HDD data. Everything seems to function well except now I cannot use chkdsk. I use the admin cmd prompt and order a chkdsk using chkdsk C: /r and then restart the computer. Upon restart the information sentence about hit any key...