Windows 10: Hard disk suddenly shows a 100GB more free space

Discus and support Hard disk suddenly shows a 100GB more free space in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've recently upgraded to windows 10 home version from windows 8.1 . My hard disk space before the upgrade was around 50GB. After the upgrade it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by saurabh, Sep 3, 2015.

1. saurabh Win User

Hard disk suddenly shows a 100GB more free space

I've recently upgraded to windows 10 home version from windows 8.1 . My hard disk space before the upgrade was around 50GB. After the upgrade it was reduced to around 32 GB. I figured it was just because windows was storing some of the older files temporarily to allow for a rollback.

Today, i started my PC after it got shut down due to low power, the hard disk is suddenly showing 130 GB free space.
    All programs seem to be in place working fine. I just couldn't figure out where the additional space came from.

Can anyone please tell me if there's something i need to be worried about

Thanks

:)

saurabh, Sep 3, 2015

2. Novemeber update caused the system to hang periodically

The disk space is not an issue, its over 100GB in free space, the support assist software from dell detected a targeted read test failure but my windows disk checking showed up no errors. However after attempting to scan and repair my drive through windows
    utilities it seems to be working better.

Aravind Baskar, Sep 3, 2015
  3. awaisniaz Win User
    the free space amount not showing for my external hard disks after the fall update in my pc folder

the my PC folder used to show numeric amount of free space left on my seagate external hard disks before the fall update just like the drives of my internal hard disk, but after the fall update is installed, the numeric amount of free space is shown
    only for drives on my internal hard disk but not for my external hard disks , for which i have to now rightclick the disk drive and click on properties to know about the free space left on the external hard disks

awaisniaz, Sep 3, 2015
  4. tinmar49 Win User

tinmar49, Sep 3, 2015
  5. Elizabeth Win User
    When did you upgrade to Windows 10? If a month has past since then the windows.old file that would allow you to rollback to your previous version has been automatically deleted. It is very large and might account for the extra space

Elizabeth, Sep 3, 2015
  6. tinmar49 Win User
    I've updated three so far and the windows old has been about 19gb in each case. Also, I had to delete them manually, it was not automatic. I did not wait for Microsoft to do it for me.

tinmar49, Sep 3, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    Pagefile (virtual memory) change is a guess, but can be a possibility.By default set to let windows decide.

jds63, Sep 3, 2015
  8. Hard disk suddenly shows a 100GB more free space

Looks like the Volume size is being misreported due to the power outage.

Torquemada, Sep 3, 2015
  9. OMG!!! SO I'm 47 (or is it 48?) years old, was TOTALLY STOKED with the release of MS-DOS 6, started my love of Windows in the 3.0 days (yes, even before 3.1) and my first modem was 300 baud. I met my first partner in 1985--on a dial-in, one-user-at-a-time BBS, my first HDD was 20 MB (yes, MEGABYTES) and cost nearly $600. My last partner works for Microsoft and I've spent more than a little time there hanging out with various teams on the campus, happily accompanying anyone who asked to the Company Store for whatever goodies I didn't yet have....yes, a good 30 years of computing experience, most of it run in some way by Microsoft. And I am just now, on the morning of October 23, 2015 learning the the windows.old file self-deletes in a month! I've never let it stay around more than a day or two but I like living dangerously. Still, thanks to you, Elizabeth I've learned something; I've learned I'm not as smart or as informed as I thought!

SmartGuyDumbPC, Oct 22, 2015
  10. DUFFER Win User
    Well SmartGuyDumbPc, I seem to have you by about 20 years and multi releases of DOS (started with 1.1? or 1.2? and two 180KB 5 1/4 floppies and eventually saw my first massive 10MB HD).
    Maybe it's just senility but I think you owe Elizabeth an apology unless you are even stupider and more ignorant than you now appear to be. I have an IQ that Mensa finds acceptable but still learn something new almost every day and hopefully I will never berate any source of information offered in good faith.

DUFFER, Oct 22, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    The default "shutdown" setting for Windows 10 is "fast startup", which means Windows doesn't really 100% shutdown, turn the computer 100% off and hand control over to the bios for the next startup. It is more of a hibernation were most of the operating state of the computer is stored in a hibernation file. I wonder if when recovering from the low power shutdown that the hibernation file was not used for startup and thus deleted. The next proper shutdown might recreate that file and take up the hard drive space again.

If nothing is missing that you can tell or that seems to affect windows, I wouldn't be concerned about it - could also just be a routine self cleaning of temporary files.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hard disk suddenly shows a 100GB more free space - Similar Threads - Hard disk suddenly

2. How to free more hard drive space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to free more hard drive space?: When I use sfc scan, disk cleanup, delete windows update log and app cache, run storage sense by clearing temporary files using storage setting and flush dns cache then i restart my pc, the storage won't low down a bit. I already transfer my genshin impact game files to other...
  3. more disk space

more disk space: Can I buy more disk space and will i be allowed to download apps or programs with this additional disk space? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-disk-space/fb4a9a17-795e-4755-8ad0-5f45200a0250
  4. Windows 10 taking > 100gb disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 taking > 100gb disk space: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/InsulineDion [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/knbw5t/windows_10_taking_100gb_disk_space/
  5. we couldn't free up any more disk space

we couldn't free up any more disk space: hi, When I go to settings and then storage section and try to clean up temporary files, it states: we couldn't free up any more disk space. It happens 3 out of 4 times. I am using 2004. Did not really happen in previous Windows 10 versions. The message might appear but not 3...
  6. Apps & Features taking up 100GB of Disk Space

Apps & Features taking up 100GB of Disk Space: Hi Microsoft Community, I have a Surface Laptop that has 120 GB of disk space, and of late notice that Apps & Features has taken up about 100GB of my disk space. When referring to it through Systems/Storage - it shows that App & Features has taken up 100GB, but in...
  7. Freeing Disk Space

Freeing Disk Space: I originally had Windows XP on my laptop but updated to Windows 10 awhile ago (and am getting current updates). Can I remove Windows XP from my laptop or will that affect how Windows 10 operates?...
  8. Need more Free Space on my Hard Drive

Need more Free Space on my Hard Drive: So yeah, the other day I was uninstalling games so I could get more space and my pc said I had 108gb free space, so the next day I restarted it and now it says I have 68gb free space. I don't know the reason, I didn't downloaded anything since I uninstalled my games, and I...
  9. Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space: I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs...
  10. Explorer suddenly not showing free space for one partition.

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer suddenly not showing free space for one partition.: This has suddenly happened, explorer is missing the 'space' information from the display. The build up to this was simply creating a Windows disk image using W10's own utility. Mysteriously the space bar on the problem partition showed some usage, about 1.7Gb but nothing...