Windows 10: Hard Disk Unusable/Unallocated after Reinstall Windows 10

Discus and support Hard Disk Unusable/Unallocated after Reinstall Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I wanted to reinstall Windows 10 and format my C: drive. To do this, I used this guide. All went well, I created a bootable USB-stick with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dutroux, May 7, 2018.

1. dutroux Win User

Hard Disk Unusable/Unallocated after Reinstall Windows 10

Hi all,

I wanted to reinstall Windows 10 and format my C: drive. To do this, I used this guide. All went well, I created a bootable USB-stick with the Windows installer on it. Unfortunately, I forgot to disconnect any devices and/or drives before installing. This caused the installer to give a error message when trying to install Windows to C:\. I quit the installer, booted back into the USB device and used the command prompt to have diskpart clean and format the disk and tried to install Windows again. This still didn't work when I realized my other disk (formerly named D:\) was still connected. I disconnected D: and it did the job, got Windows installed on C: which operates correctly. The other disk (D*Smile however is now unallocated.

At first I wanted to save my files from the disk (mainly wallpapers) so I tried recovering software but this took way too long and settled on just cleaning and formatting the disk. First I tried diskpart again, which at first looked as if it worked. But when going back into Disk Management (or partition tool) the disk was still unallocated (D: from here on is the bootable USB-stick). When trying to initialize the disk using MBR (Master Boot Record) it gives this error.

I then tried using MiniTool Partition Wizard to scan the disk but this took an absurd long time.

Options when right clicking the unallocated space in Disk Management is all greyed out: https://imgur.com/VLkg2wj

Using 'attributes disk clear readonly' command in Diskpart with disk selected gives this error: https://imgur.com/5QGxJJm

The affected volume also does not show up when 'list volume' is run in diskpart, only the C: disk

Am I doing something terrible wrong or is there just a simple solution to this I'm not seeing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dxdiag

Minitool

If I left out any crucial information please let me know.

edit: made all links clickable

:)

dutroux, May 7, 2018
  2. dutroux Win User

Hi all,

I wanted to reinstall Windows 10 and format my C: drive. To do this, I used this guide. All went well, I created a bootable USB-stick with the Windows installer on it. Unfortunately, I forgot to disconnect any devices and/or drives before installing. This caused the installer to give a error message when trying to install Windows to C:\. I quit the installer, booted back into the USB device and used the command prompt to have diskpart clean and format the disk and tried to install Windows again. This still didn't work when I realized my other disk (formerly named D:\) was still connected. I disconnected D: and it did the job, got Windows installed on C: which operates correctly. The other disk (D*Smile however is now unallocated.

At first I wanted to save my files from the disk (mainly wallpapers) so I tried recovering software but this took way too long and settled on just cleaning and formatting the disk. First I tried diskpart again, which at first looked as if it worked. But when going back into Disk Management (or partition tool) the disk was still unallocated (D: from here on is the bootable USB-stick). When trying to initialize the disk using MBR (Master Boot Record) it gives this error.

I then tried using MiniTool Partition Wizard to scan the disk but this took an absurd long time.

Options when right clicking the unallocated space in Disk Management is all greyed out: https://imgur.com/VLkg2wj

Using 'attributes disk clear readonly' command in Diskpart with disk selected gives this error: https://imgur.com/5QGxJJm

The affected volume also does not show up when 'list volume' is run in diskpart, only the C: disk

Am I doing something terrible wrong or is there just a simple solution to this I'm not seeing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dxdiag

Minitool

If I left out any crucial information please let me know.

edit: made all links clickable

:)

dutroux, May 7, 2018
Thema:

Hard Disk Unusable/Unallocated after Reinstall Windows 10

1. Hard Disk Unusable/Unallocated after Reinstall Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hard Disk Unusable

2. Unallocated Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unallocated Disk: I have a completely unallocated 1TB drive. I've tried some 3rd party tools like AOMEI, and EaseUS. Nothing works when I try to convert to GPT. I've tried DISKPART > list volume which my drive does not show up on. If I try to do anything with Disk Management it comes up with...
  3. Unallocated Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unallocated Disk: I have a completely unallocated 1TB drive. I've tried some 3rd party tools like AOMEI, and EaseUS. Nothing works when I try to convert to GPT. I've tried DISKPART > list volume which my drive does not show up on. If I try to do anything with Disk Management it comes up with...
  4. Disk unusable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk unusable: Hello, I've been using my 1TB Seagate barracuda HDD for over two years now. Today when I wanted to create a new partition on Disk Management, the disk showed no volume, but I was able to access my files just fine. I made backups before starting to mess with things, checked...
  5. reinstal windows after changing my hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reinstal windows after changing my hard disk: Hello! I change my my laptop hard disk because it is not work suddenly so I want to reintal windows 10 home like I hade and was activated with digital licens ....
  6. Reinstalling windows after Hard disk crashed.

Reinstalling windows after Hard disk crashed.: Hello, I have Lenovo laptop which I bought around 5 yrs back with genuine windows 7 Home premium with product key. I have updated it to windows 10 when windows 10 update notification was popping up into notification box. Everything was working fine for me from the last...
  7. Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling windows 10 after hard disk replacement: I had upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. However, my hard disk crashed and my service provider re installed window 7 after installing new hard disk. Can I still upgrade to Windows 10 and windows will identify earlier activation if its not based on hard disk....
  8. Reinstall a hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reinstall a hard disk: Hi, I must re-install Windows on a laptop, I've created a bootable flash disk, but apparently the hard disk it self is uninstalled. I can't find the driver. It is driver wdc wd10spcx-24z10. Can you help me ?...
  9. My internal Hard Disk is unallocated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My internal Hard Disk is unallocated: Hi , I just added a new (with data ) 1TB Hard Disk to my computer with Windows 10 pro, but the computer make that SATA DISK1 with D: and F: was now Unallocated . C: is SSD windows and E: CD DVBD ROM. New hdd SATA is DISK2 with I: and J: partition working correctly....
  10. Reinstalling windows after hard disk change

Reinstalling windows after hard disk change: Hello, Windows 10 is installed on my computer on 1000 GB HDD. I want to replace the HDD with a new one which sizes only 500 GB. I made a recovery DOK and tried using it to reinstall windows on the new HDD, but I got an error saying the size is too small. How can I reinstall...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 disk management unusable partition

2. after installing windows 10 on c disk d disk is unusable

3. delete unallocated partition during windows 10 installation failure

4. after reinstalling windows hard drive unallocated,
  5. toshiba p300 file system unallocated after windows 10 install,
  6. unusable partition from clean install,
  7. forgot to reformat my hdd when reinstalling windows 10 now its unallocated,
  8. delete unusable partition unallocated,
  9. hard disk with optane memeory not use after reinstall windows,
  10. windows 10 system failure all my hdd unusable?