Windows 10: Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors.

Discus and support Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; May I get an interpretation, please? I am running HD Tune on my external drive. The health report show that I have 26 damaged sectors. That seems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BellaDonna, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors.

May I get an interpretation, please?

I am running HD Tune on my external drive. The health report show that I have 26 damaged sectors. That seems low, yet still unwelcome.
    It's a remarkable old Seagate Free Agent - a refurbished replacement as part of my original warranty almost seven years ago.
    When I ran Sea Tools, it didn't detect this drive. I had a few opposing results w/chkdsk, but a deeper diagnostic was necessary.
    All I really know is other than Event Viewer showing
    Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors. [​IMG]
    vague HD (1,2, or 3) errors, whatever is happening isn't all good.
    I've had a helluva time with backups, attempted drive and data recoveries, restoring system images, certain files, etc.

It may turn out that I am installing corrupted Win 10 OS, but meanwhile, I need to salvage the data I continue to create.
    I don't want to misinterpret my experiences.
    Could MS downloads cause as much damage as I know I've had?

With this scan, I have been warned.
    How much care do I have to take until I must stop using this drive? What problems can it cause? Can/could I avoid them? I guess there's no way to direct backed up data to work around the bad sectors or do I just hope that something vital doesn't end up landing there? This isn't a a "smart" drive, I assume. (This is why people try to isolate the sectors, if possible.)

I am still running tests, but this is the only negative report, I think. I don't understand most of the results, but nothing else has jumped out.

My opinion as far as other people's questions about drives: It doesn't seem as if there are real drive repairs. I think it might cause more harm than good. I read about - but don't know anything about "hiding" bad sectors. For $60 you can buy a 1TB drive. If your data is valuable enough to save, it's valuable enough to protect and restore. (I'm ordering a new one tomorrow.)

Thank you.

:)

BellaDonna, Jul 13, 2016

2. Can't get past windows login screen

Partly that, "Why are crashes so bad for your disk? They can cause bad sectors, luckily soft bad sectors. Bad sectors are segments on your hard drive that cannot be properly read. So for example if your machine crashes, sectors, including boot sectors can
    become corrupt and cause issues. If you don’t use software to mark and repair bad sectors they can get worse over time and corrupt more data. Sometimes you can no longer use your disk at all if you don’t get rid of corrupt sectors.

Read more at:
    http://windows7themes.net/en-us/how-to-run-chkdsk-on-windows-10-to-avoid-bad-sectors-reallocated-sectors-uncorrectable/
    © windows7themes.net

Now, as I said...if your computer can repair the bad sectors there is nothing to worry about but keep an eye on it especially if the errors are not repaired.

CassieMorrisonMN, Jul 13, 2016
  3. SupermHawk, Jul 13, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors.

Hi there

"When in Doubt -- Chuck it Out " !!

Data is usually far more valuable than the hardware -- for 60 USD as you say you can get a nice brand new 1TB drive -- no brainer IMO.
    Backup what you want first and also take a system image. Use Free Macrium or whatever -- use IMAGE rather than clone HDD as you don't want to copy the damaged sectors via a sector by sector copy !!.

HDD's even large ones are CHEAP --imagine re-ripping 7,000 CD's or having to re-create a music library --to say nothing of movies, photos, documents etc.

I don't believe also for a minute that nobody Owns music any more --streams like spotify etc might be convenient at times but I think a lot always prefer their own music - especially for portable devices or even your own media servers.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 13, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    As Jimbo says, I would back up your data asap and get another drive. You don't want those bad sectors spreading.

Have you run chkdsk?

swarfega, Jul 13, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Elsewhere, it was suggested to not run chkdsk until after the data folders and files are backed up. Back up that stuff twice. Hope your data is still aok. Somebody let me know if I misunderstand that suggestion.

RolandJS, Jul 13, 2016
  7. I'm heeding your advice along with my own.
    A no-brainer, indeed, except is was a WARNING and 26 sectors compared to thousands didn't seem urgent.

swarfega - I said I did. A couple of times.

Thank you for quick answers.

BellaDonna, Jul 13, 2016
  8. RWOne Win User

26 sectors means nothing,the drive is going. It only takes one bad read/write of a vital system operation/file to stop you system from working .... could happen in the next minute, could happen in the next 10 years, but do you wish to roll the dice?

That attitude about the warning is the same one I receive too many times after the fact, when the server no longer boots, the file server is down, or the VIP's lappy won't boot, or they lost their files.

Almost goes for making regular backups or images as well.

RWOne, Jul 13, 2016
  9. LMiller7 Win User
    All drive warnings should be taken seriously. I would replace the drive, as I did several years ago for a similar problem. Except that there were fewer errors.

These are hard errors within the drive itself. They cannot be caused by writing corrupt data to the drive.

When the drive writes a sector and an error is detected it will replace it with one reserved for such purposes. That sector won't cause any problems. But that does not mean all is well. There are only a limited number of sectors available for replacement purposes and when reached no more can be replaced. The warning states that 26 sectors have been replaced but there could be many more that are yet to be detected. Statistically this would seem likely. Bad sectors can only be detected when reading or reading the sector.

Bad sectors are often due to a failure within the drive and could multiply in a short period of time.

At 7 years that drive is already past the average life of a drive. It is due for replacement.

LMiller7, Jul 13, 2016
  10. LMiller7 and RWOne.
    I am taking it seriously and replacing drive. For certain things I'm trying to do, I better wait until I get a replacement.
    That's what I was trying to determine.

You taught me more about HD than I knew yesterday. Didn't know sectors were already replaced.
    Thank you for stressing the urgency.

BellaDonna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors. - Similar Threads - Hard Disk Warning

2. Reallocated Sectors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reallocated Sectors: Greetings. Since i formated my laptop the disk has been going from 60-100% i tried many steps but i found out the i have bad Reallocated sectors. So i wanna ask if it can be the reason as to why my disk is constantly lagging...
  3. Reallocated Sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reallocated Sectors: Greetings. Since i formated my laptop the disk has been going from 60-100% i tried many steps but i found out the i have bad Reallocated sectors. So i wanna ask if it can be the reason as to why my disk is constantly lagging...
  4. Reallocated Sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Reallocated Sectors in HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reallocated Sectors in HDD: My 6 year old 1TB hdd has 24 reallocated sectors, 16 current pending sectors and uncorrectable sectors which have been given in yellow with a caution sign in crystaldisk. The screen shots from crystal disk have been uploaded down.My pc's performance and boot time are also...
  6. Hard drive, bad sectors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive, bad sectors: I have a HDD that has bad sectors. I plan to buy SSD to replace it. But can I still use that HDD to install games? I only plan to put the operating system in the SSD, or do you have any tips that will help to fix those bad sectors aside form chkdsk /f /r /x C: also, here is...
  7. Hard disk, Sector errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard disk, Sector errors: Hi,I see some 3 bad sector errors in my hard disk.. what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-sector-errors/77709397-fe1c-4d38-ad1a-a08c5ec9176d
  8. External Hard Driver Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Driver Bad Sectors: Hi I have a 2T Silicon Power A85 Hard drive. after 2 years my hard is not running well. the hard runs very slowly and stops every time. sometimes copy the information in 120 MB/s and sometimes in just few Kb. Hard disk Sentinel App shows a lot of bad sectors and just 4%...
  9. Free software to repair hard disk bad sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free software to repair hard disk bad sectors: Can some one advise the best free software to repair hard disk bad sectors. It should not be a trial version for repairing only one or few bad sectors. 50493
  10. USB HD drive reallocated sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB HD drive reallocated sectors: Is it time for a new drive or is there some utility / formatting to restore health? [img] thanks! 107186