Windows 10: Hard drive errors won't fix on reboot

Discus and support Hard drive errors won't fix on reboot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running build 9926, and got a maintenance error message yesterday, "Restart to repair hard drive errors (Important)". noting a need to restart the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AMRooke, Feb 17, 2015.

1. AMRooke Win User

Hard drive errors won't fix on reboot

I am running build 9926, and got a maintenance error message yesterday, "Restart to repair hard drive errors (Important)". noting a need to restart the PC (as is common for NTFS repairs). However, upon restarting the computer, it just boots back into Windows, without first scanning / repairing the drive. Multiple restarts, error message persists, but no action on reboots. I installed the System Mechanic Pro that I had used on WinXP/7/8 (sans the AV/antispam modules, running Defender instead until SM has been cleared as functional with Win10 TP), and upon drive scanning, it identified drive errors, but crashed before completing the scan or scheduling repairs. I may need to run an bootable drive repair tool to get the drive repaired, but I don't know if this has been reported to MS, or how I can report it.

:)

AMRooke, Feb 17, 2015

2. Plugging in Kindle is crashing windows 10 after summer update

Have had the same blue screen rebooted and won't reload so have now to rebuild hard drive Microsoft needs to get a fix quick as now cant download kindle books as i don't use the cloud

wingman100, Feb 17, 2015
  3. "Restart to fix drive errors" shows up after reboot, CHKDSK says otherwise

So... Uhh, kind of a bad situation going on here. I'm stuck in a boot loop into the CHKDSK test. It doesn't even let let me boot from a CD.

Wat should I do?!

NVM, somehow broke the loop.

DeBedenHasen, Feb 17, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

5. AMRooke Win User
    Thanks for the reply, but my posting wasn't for input on HDD repairs itself (I do have the drive OEM diagnostics available), but more to point out that the Windows native NTFS disk check routine (not System Mechanic) that is supposed to run on a reboot (before Windows loads) is not working in build 9926 on my PC (it has worked well with all prior Win versions that I have run on this same PC over the years). This was intended more as a bug report than anything else . . .

AMRooke, Feb 23, 2015
  6. adamf Win User
    What happens if you do it manually? right click on your disk, then properties, tools and then check and restart and repair now? This works for me.

You can report bugs through the Windows Feedback app.

Attachment 13201

adamf, Feb 23, 2015
  7. AMRooke Win User
    The issue is now refined a bit. The hard drive error was reported by automatic maintenance in the Security and Maintenance center, and called for reboots, but never took action on reboots. However, when scanning the drive manually (as you mentioned) the drive error did appear (on an old drive with Win8.1 and Ubuntu, not the current system drive), and it was able to repair the drive without needing a restart. It sounds like the issue could be in the automatic maintenance routine. Thanks.

AMRooke, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hard drive errors won't fix on reboot - Similar Threads - Hard drive errors

2. hard drive error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive error: whenever i run a hard drive test i keep getting the error code - Targeted Read Test - WHD20-JOD, can anyone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-error/aba95e95-a113-4f77-840f-79e629842b51
  3. hard drive error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive error: whenever i run a hard drive test i keep getting the error code - Targeted Read Test - WHD20-JOD, can anyone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-error/aba95e95-a113-4f77-840f-79e629842b51
  4. Hard drive won't fix windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive won't fix windows 11: So for about two days I have been getting this message when I boot up my computer saying "Scanning and repairing Drive". I've tried both chkdsk and right clicking on the drive from the files area and going to tools, but every time I restart my computer it still finds errors....
  5. Hard drive won't fix windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive won't fix windows 11: So for about two days I have been getting this message when I boot up my computer saying "Scanning and repairing Drive". I've tried both chkdsk and right clicking on the drive from the files area and going to tools, but every time I restart my computer it still finds errors....
  6. Hard Drive Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Error: So basically what happened is that I reset my hard drive but my smaller 5 year old brother restarted my computer by accident while it was resetting and now whenever I boot up the pc with my hard drive It says "Preparing" Then goes to "Just a Moment then finally to "Windows...
  7. Hard Drive Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive Error: So basically what happened is that I reset my hard drive but my smaller 5 year old brother restarted my computer by accident while it was resetting and now whenever I boot up the pc with my hard drive It says "Preparing" Then goes to "Just a Moment then finally to "Windows...
  8. Cleaned Hard Drive, Won't Reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cleaned Hard Drive, Won't Reboot: Recently cleaned my drives because it wouldn't let me factory reset the computer. Since doing that, it will not boot back up to a log in screen or anything. It runs a scan upon turning on then says something about a corrupt OS Image or some BIOS settings, neither of which i...
  9. reboot from a second hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reboot from a second hard drive?: How do you reboot from a second hard drive ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reboot-from-a-second-hard-drive/2d459994-a998-403c-9119-c11a647bf0fe
  10. Fixing an External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fixing an External Hard Drive: Recently my external hard drive has stopped working my PC. If I plug it into a Mac, it works fine. When plugged into the PC, it says that file is corrupted and unrecognizable. Any help on how to get my hard drive working without losing the data on it?...