Windows 10: Hard drive failing?

Discus and support Hard drive failing? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Recently I’ve tried to acess my HP laptop running windows 10 on it after a hard restart, but when it attempts to boot from hard drive it gove me the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Leaffall03, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Hard drive failing?

Recently I’ve tried to acess my HP laptop running windows 10 on it after a hard restart, but when it attempts to boot from hard drive it gove me the auto repair startup. Almost immediately after it attempts to start up, it goes to black screen. I have run tests on my hard drive, and it says the short and long DST have failed. Although Windows refuses to startup, I have a partition which can run linux on the same hard drive, without it failing to boot. I attempted to see what was wrong on the linux, but cannot access the windows folder due to an error with windows explorer. I do not wish to have to purchase an new hard drive so please help.

:)

Leaffall03, Aug 15, 2018

2. Recovery from failed hard drive

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the following questions;

• What is the make and model of the hard drive?

• Did you get any error messages while using the failed hard drive?

• When you say failed hard drive, are you referring to external hard drive or internal hard drive?

I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article, which explains about the recovery option in Windows 10 and check if it help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Get back to us for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Sep 25, 2018
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Sep 25, 2018
  4. Hard drive failing?

Mechanical Hard Drive A:\

Proceed with the steps I gave you to test the hard drive to know for sure it's condition.

If it passes wipe it and try formatting as suggested. If it fails initializing as MBR then try GPT (for data).

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

Hard drive failing?

1. Hard drive failing? - Similar Threads - Hard drive failing

2. Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows in Computer with Failing Hard Drive: My wife's hard drive is failing. I want to install windows on a new hard drive. But when I try to do that, I reach the "location to install" windows and there is no hard drive listed. I'm told I need drivers but the Windows install disk apparently doesn't have the driver I...
  3. UEFI Bypass on Failing Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    UEFI Bypass on Failing Hard Drive: I repaired a computer for a friend that had a failing hard drive. It was bad enough that windows would not load, it just seemed to be overheating and windows would not pass the system check and it was in a boot loop. I replaced the hard drive with a new one and plugged the...
  4. UEFI Bypass on Failing Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI Bypass on Failing Hard Drive: I repaired a computer for a friend that had a failing hard drive. It was bad enough that windows would not load, it just seemed to be overheating and windows would not pass the system check and it was in a boot loop. I replaced the hard drive with a new one and plugged the...
  5. UEFI Bypass on Failing Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Hard drive failed on an Acer system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard drive failed on an Acer system: I bought an Acer PC a year ago just past the warranty period with windows pre-installed and it seems like the hard drive has failed. I am planning on getting a new hard drive, but am not sure if I can reinstall windows as I don’t know how to authenticate it. Any suggestions...
  7. windows 10 hard drive failed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 hard drive failed: windows 10 hard drive failed on latest laptop, installed hard drive from previous laptop (windows 8.0) that insurance claim returned in 2015. Will i have to spend $99 to reinstall windows 10 and get a product key?...
  8. windows 10 license on a failing hard drive.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 license on a failing hard drive.: I have a lenovo thinkpad that's only drive (hdd) is starting to go. the computer blue screens multiple times a day then fails to reboot without a little persuasion. I have an ssd i'd like to replace the existing drive with but i don't know if i will need a new windows license...
  9. Failing hard drive and disk migration

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Failing hard drive and disk migration: Hi All, I hope you are well. I have a laptop with Windows 10 where I suspect the hard drive is failing - Samsung Momentus 750GB I have noticed that because the system is slow and in Task ManagerI can see hard drive working hard 100% most of the time with pretty low...
  10. Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive: Toshiba C55 series with a failing hard drive. My first attempt was to clone the drives using my Acronis True Image 2015. Formatted the new drive and placed in the PC. Old HD in a USB drive enclosure. Booted from the TI "Bootable Rescue Media.." As soon as it started to...