Windows 10: Hard drive filling up

Discus and support Hard drive filling up in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Each night my hard drive fills up. I can't figure out where the free space is going. I can clear off 5 gigs, but the next morning there is a 'low disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by 3DPiper, Mar 26, 2018.

1. 3DPiper Win User

Hard drive filling up

Each night my hard drive fills up. I can't figure out where the free space is going.
    I can clear off 5 gigs, but the next morning there is a 'low disk space' error..
    How can I find where the empty space is being used?
    Can I search by newest file created?

:)

3DPiper, Mar 26, 2018

2. System filling up hard drive, taking up 140 GB of space

On verification of Storage Usage on re install of windows 10 pro on 01.10.2015 the following with recovery of windows option it contains the

System & reserved is :25.6 GB

Apps is : 4.41 GB

Others: 104 GB as the large folder is could n't characterized.

In this regard, pl.give some help for how to delete the
    Others: 104 GB in Storage Usage and what to do to in this issue. What is this folder to use for me, what is the procedure to delete it if not useful for running windows10.

RATHOD RAVINDER, Mar 26, 2018
  3. System filling up hard drive, taking up 140 GB of space

If your current OS has been activated you can clean install win 10 from the ISO

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Mar 26, 2018
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hard drive filling up

Hey 3DPiper,
    Give Everything a try to see if you can track down what's using up space - voidtools
    Note: I use the portable version, so no install.

Give CCleaner a try - CCleaner - Portable
    Note: Be careful with it (ie. I don't recommend cleaning the registry)
    Note: I use the portable version , so no install.

A couple of things to check tho ...
    1. Have you run Disk Clean Up, making sure to check System Files ?
    2. Do you have System Restore enabled on your System drive (C) ?
    Control Panel > System > System Protection > Configure
    a. Check how much disk space it's set to use. 10~15% is usually enough, unless you keep a lot of restore points.
    b. If you have a lot of restore points, you might need to clear out the old ones.

Eagle51, Mar 26, 2018
  5. I'd give something like WInDirStat or TreeSize a run to see what's taking up the space.

However, first, what is the size of your C drive?

DeaconFrost, Mar 26, 2018
  6. RickC Win User
    Try using Nir Sofer's FolderChangesView to monitor your drive. It will show you what files/folders are being created.

When you run it the first time it will automatically select the root of C: with the Monitor all subfolders under the specified folders checkbox already ticked. Just click on the OK button to accept these defaults.

The results in the Created Count column are what you're looking for. If you click on the column header you can change the sort order.

Hard drive filling up [​IMG]

(Stand by to be surprised by all the activity whilst your PC is supposedly just sat there doing nothing. *Smile )

Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 26, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks, Rick! Love Nir Sofer's stuff in general, but hadn't explored this tool as yet. They guy is a veritable fountain of great Windows utilities.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 26, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

Hard drive filling up

I'd go for this approach too.

There have been a few threads about iPhoto/iTunes needlessly filling your appdata directory recently but it would be best to check what is adding to/taking the space.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Hard drive filling up

1. Hard drive filling up - Similar Threads - Hard drive filling

2. Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.: Using MS10. Properties say I have 3GB, very soon after, with no new things added to hard drive I get a warning that hardrive is almost full. I run chkdsk c: /x /r and restart. Now I am back to around 3GB. Very soon after back to 250Mb. Now having to repeat this several times...
  3. Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.: Using MS10. Properties say I have 3GB, very soon after, with no new things added to hard drive I get a warning that hardrive is almost full. I run chkdsk c: /x /r and restart. Now I am back to around 3GB. Very soon after back to 250Mb. Now having to repeat this several times...
  4. User accounts filling up hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User accounts filling up hard drive: So, I am on Win 10 enterprise some are on 1809 through H2 but same issue on any version. I have so many users that log in it will fill the hard drive with their user profile. The only way to fix this is to go through the registry and remove them. If you just delete them in...
  5. User accounts filling up hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User accounts filling up hard drive: So, I am on Win 10 enterprise some are on 1809 through H2 but same issue on any version. I have so many users that log in it will fill the hard drive with their user profile. The only way to fix this is to go through the registry and remove them. If you just delete them in...
  6. User accounts filling up hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. hard drive keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive keeps filling up: help window insider 10 pro version:1909 windows 10 wont update and hard drive stays full no matter how fast i delete things it stays full how do I fix this problem. because of the disc being full cannot even save a restore point....
  8. Hard Drive Suddenly filling up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hard Drive Suddenly filling up: I have an Asus laptop running the latest Win10 update, 1903. It has a 500G HD that usually has about 200G in use. Today I checked and it was almost full, only about 5G remaining. What could be causing this? I checked programs using appwiz.cpl and saw nothing strange. I have...
  9. Hard Drive fills up after format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive fills up after format: Before I start, I must say that I am completely new to these forums. I literally just made an account so I could get some help with this problem. I apologise beforehand if my formatting or general mannerisms are not right. There's a TL;DR at the bottom for those who don't...
  10. Hard Drive Randomly Filling Up

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Drive Randomly Filling Up: My 256 GB hard drive has zero space left (programs now shutting down, etc.). I deleted or moved all duplicate files ; documents and applications only account for about 50 GB. When I free up a few GB, it rapidly fills up again. This is not a defrag issue; this is something...