Windows 10: Hard Drive goes to Sleep

Discus and support Hard Drive goes to Sleep in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an HP Pavilion desktop pc (model no 500-120ea) running Windows 10. After a few minutes of not requiring access the built in hard drive (C drive)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by A Gray, Aug 31, 2016.

1. A Gray Win User

Hard Drive goes to Sleep

I have an HP Pavilion desktop pc (model no 500-120ea) running Windows 10. After a few minutes of not requiring access the built in hard drive (C drive) appears to go sleep. The reason I say that is that if I suddenly need access e.g.. to open or save a file I hear the hard drive starting up or speeding up and it takes several seconds for the action I am trying to execute to take place. This can be rather tiresome and I was wondering if there is a setting I could adjust to extend the time lapse before the hard drive powers down? The current setting in the power plan has the computer going to sleep after 3 hours.

:)

A Gray, Aug 31, 2016
  2. RADZ71 Win User

windows 10 sleep mode

I also have the same issue here are my observations. When trying to wake the PC from sleep mode: There is a
    very brief hard drive response, the hard drive stops, with a message "entering sleep mode", No additional inputs from the "ESC" key or mouse have any effect in waking the system, the PC goes back to sleep mode.
    At this point a "hard shutdown" is required to get the PC operational.

RADZ71, Aug 31, 2016
  3. The laptop does not go to sleep normally

Sergius HT, Aug 31, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Hard Drive goes to Sleep

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and select Change Advanced Power Settings. There is an option there specifying when to turn off the drive.

Steve C, Aug 31, 2016
  5. A Gray Win User
    Hi Steve,
    I didn't notice the Advanced Power settings before. I've now set the hard drive to keep running for 120 minutes instead of 20 (I seemed to me that it was powering down sooner than 20 mins) so we will see how that works. I hope that by doing this I will not seriously shorten the hard drive life. If you think this is a possibility I'll shorten the time to 60 mins say which probably would do.

A Gray, Aug 31, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    I doubt that will be a problem. You might want to consider a SSD for vastly improved speed for your C: drive and use the current hard disk for your user files and backups of your OS on the C: drive?

Steve C, Aug 31, 2016
  7. A Gray Win User
    Thanks again Steve, yes an SSD would be a lot faster but also more expensive and a lot smaller ( my C drive is ITB). When it's powered up my C drive is fast enough for my purposes so I think I'll just stick with that. So far no problems with the longer powered up time

A Gray, Aug 31, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

Hard Drive goes to Sleep

You can now buy a 120GB SSD for c. £40 or a 240GB SSD for c. £60 so they are much cheaper than they used to be. My C: drive is a 180GB SSD and my OS & program files only take about 40% of the disk - all my user data is on a hard disk. Most people install the OS and programs on the C: drive and then use their hard drive for user data and backups of the OS. You could easily manage with a small cheap SSD for your OS & programms on the C: drive provided you use your current hard disk for user files. I use a 500GB SSD in my laptop since it's the only drive.

Steve C, Aug 31, 2016
  9. A Gray Win User
    Hi again Steve, I didn't realise that SSD's had become relatively inexpensive so I may give them some more consideration. However, as I said, I find my present HDD fast enough for my purposes.

A Gray, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Hard Drive goes to Sleep

1. Hard Drive goes to Sleep - Similar Threads - Hard Drive goes

2. Windows 10 Hard Crashing Whenever It Goes To Sleep Or Hibernation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Hard Crashing Whenever It Goes To Sleep Or Hibernation: For the past few weeks, my ASUS Zenbook has been shutting down unexpectedly when it's not in use whether I leave it on, close it, or manually set it to sleep or hibernate. I checked out the system log in Event Viewer and the most recent hard crash had this error log:The...
  3. Windows 10 Hard Crashing Whenever It Goes To Sleep Or Hibernation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Hard Crashing Whenever It Goes To Sleep Or Hibernation: For the past few weeks, my ASUS Zenbook has been shutting down unexpectedly when it's not in use whether I leave it on, close it, or manually set it to sleep or hibernate. I checked out the system log in Event Viewer and the most recent hard crash had this error log:The...
  4. Windows 10 Hard Crashing Whenever It Goes To Sleep Or Hibernation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop goes to sleep and ...

Laptop goes to sleep and ...: This laptop has the most different way of going to sleep. It will do just that, go to sleep but in 10.0336 seconds, it will wake up and after the allotted minutes, go back to sleep and remain that way till I get nasty and wake it up from a most comfortable nap. Wake Timers...
  6. External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11: I have a 5 GB Lacie External Hard Drive from Seagate, connected via a USB cable. The issue is that when I am browsing folders or playing music from the hard drive, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the light on the drive to start flashing and for the files to open or appear....
  7. External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11

External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11: I have a 5 GB Lacie External Hard Drive from Seagate, connected via a USB cable. The issue is that when I am browsing folders or playing music from the hard drive, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the light on the drive to start flashing and for the files to open or appear....
  8. External Hard Drive sleeping immediately

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External Hard Drive sleeping immediately: I have literally spent days on this issue and could sure use some help. There are dozens and dozens of posts on this, none of which have worked for me.I have multiple external hard disk drives that I use for photo and video editing. They power down frequently and cause...
  9. MONITOR GOES TO SLEEP

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    MONITOR GOES TO SLEEP: While working on the computer, it suddenly shut down and went into sleep mode. I cannot "wake it" back up. I have checked all connections and tried to power down completely. when I attempt to wake it up manually, it does through its startup routine and then goes back to...
  10. Hard drives never goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives never goes to sleep: Bonjour, I am having an issue with a "fresh" Windows 10 installation. I emphasis "fresh" because it ain't so fresh anymore but has been reinstalled and the problem was not present on my last installation. I currently have 4 standard HDD (3x green, 1x black) and 1 SSD...