Windows 10: Hard Drive Health & SMART Monitoring Utility

Discus and support Hard Drive Health & SMART Monitoring Utility in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've used HDDGuardian for years on Windows 7 with no problems. Since upgrading to Windows 10, I've noticed that the process exits itself after a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gaia, Feb 10, 2016.

1. gaia Win User

Hard Drive Health & SMART Monitoring Utility

I've used HDDGuardian for years on Windows 7 with no problems. Since upgrading to Windows 10, I've noticed that the process exits itself after a certain period of time (when the screen saver comes on, or when the computer goes to sleep). In typical fashion (not exclusive to this software), the tray icon remains there but disappears as soon as you mouse over it (because the process has ended).

I reinstalled HDDGuardian (was running 0.62, the current version already), since Win10 was an upgrade, not a fresh install. The problem did not go away.

So I decided to switch to DiskCheckup, but the problem persists - the process exists after a certain period of time.

No other resident software (tray icon or not) has this issue.

Is there something about windows 10 that HD monitoring software makers haven't updated to enable compatibility/proper functioning?

Anyone here using one of the two pieces of SW above, or any other disk monitoring software, successfully?

TIA

:)

2. BulldogXX Win User

Hard drive failure warning

You may be getting an 'early warning' message from the S.M.A.R.T. utility that is included with hard drives by their manufacturers. Go to the technical support website of the hard drive's manufacturer and run their own drive health checking utility. (The
    manufacturer has complete directions.) If it reports problems, you should probably replace the drive, but check with the manufacturer to be sure.

Hard drives are so reliable now that it's rare to get a S.M.A.R.T. warning, but it happens.

(S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology)

BulldogXX, Feb 10, 2016
  3. Win 10 improper shutdown

S.M.A.R.T. - Wikipedia is a chip on hard drives and SSD's that monitor it's health which can provide data to the OS in case of problems. It mostly monitors the disk's
    surface condition but can also detect problems in the file system.

You can install a SMART monitoring utility like
    CrystalDiskInfo - Software
    or just wait until the OS gives warnings. Then the way to know with certainty the condition of the drive is to run it's maker's
    HD Diagnostic extended CD scan followed by a full

Disk Check

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I don't leave one running, but Hard Disk Sentinel, HDDExpert & HDD Tune run ok..

dalchina, Feb 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Hard Drive Health & SMART Monitoring Utility - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Health

2. hard drive at 100% utilization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard drive at 100% utilization: why is my hard drive at 100% utilization? I do not have a lot open so it makes no sense that it is at 100% utilization. This never changes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-at-100-utilization/18093479-0c04-4ed7-b2b1-482432d7a621
  3. hard drive at 100% utilization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive at 100% utilization: why is my hard drive at 100% utilization? I do not have a lot open so it makes no sense that it is at 100% utilization. This never changes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-at-100-utilization/18093479-0c04-4ed7-b2b1-482432d7a621
  4. hard drive at 100% utilization

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Best hard drive health software?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best hard drive health software?: Is Hard Disk Sentinel the best overall? I have an SSD which had a lot of corrupt files, and I'm not sure if there's an underlying issue with this brand new Samsung QVO 870 SSD or if the file corruption was a consequence of something else. I downloaded Hard Disk Sentinel,...
  6. Best hard drive health software?

in Windows 10 Support
    Best hard drive health software?: Is Hard Disk Sentinel the best overall? I have an SSD which had a lot of corrupt files, and I'm not sure if there's an underlying issue with this brand new Samsung QVO 870 SSD or if the file corruption was a consequence of something else. I downloaded Hard Disk Sentinel,...
  7. 1720 SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure

in Windows 10 News
    1720 SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure: [ATTACH]Some PC users are reporting that when they boot their Windows 10 device, they […] This article 1720 SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Free hard drive monitoring software.

Free hard drive monitoring software.: Free today: Hard Disk Sentinel Standard Edition Hard Drive Software 100% Enjoy. 141348
  9. Utilities for Multiple Monitors

Utilities for Multiple Monitors: In my home theatre I have a Win 10 Pro PC , set up for Extended Display set up for: - a large 4k TV (the default), with high res settings (Monitor 2) - a small legacy 17" display, low-res settings (Monitor 1) The large screen is the default screen, as that's what I need...
  10. Hard Drive Health Status (Caution)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Health Status (Caution): Hello! I ran CrystalDiskInfo and found out that its health status is caution. now, do you think that the bad sectors can be repaired? if yes, how? if no, how can I set CrystalDiskInfo to alert me when the situation is worse? thanks in advance. 90576