Windows 10: Hard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run)

Discus and support Hard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Okay, here's a weird one. And of the searching I've done, it seems others who've had this problem have had encryption, which I don't. Problem: When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Machtyn, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Machtyn Win User

Hard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run)

Okay, here's a weird one. And of the searching I've done, it seems others who've had this problem have had encryption, which I don't.

Problem: When I click on my H: drive or try to access it from the command line, it gives me an access denied error. However, all of the applications that I have installed on that drive run without issue. So, there is some access there. (See attached images. The first shows the hard drive state in diskmanager and in windows explorer. The second image shows the minecrafter launcher profile (that it is stored in H: and the application running, proving that there is some access.

Hard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run) [​IMG]

Hard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run) [​IMG]

System: Home built PC: (CHard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run) :) 240GB SSD for OS, (EHard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run) :) 1TB HDD for file storage and backup, (HHard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run) :) 1TB HDD for large applications and video editing files. All drives are Simple, Basic, and none have encryption. All use the SATA connectors.

Process:
    I had Windows 7 Home 64 bit with, among many other things, Comodo Internet Security, Virtualbox, ImageDisk.
    During the upgrade process, I noticed that Windows 10, during the upgrade, ran the file system check and fix "problems" on the H: drive.
    (Side note) Having forgotten to uninstall Comodo before the upgrade, I did not have network after the upgrade. The fix was non-trivial as I had to use a second computer to download the unofficial comodo uninstaller. Reboot. Uninstall the network devices. Reboot. And once Windows 10 was up and running, it reinstalled the network devices and the network was available.
    Still, whether before or after the Comodo uninstall and reinstall, the uninstall of ImageDisk, or the uninstall of the Virtualbox network device, I have no access to the H: drive.

If I have missed any information, please ask and I will try to provide. Are there any suggestions on what I can do to unlock my secondary drive?

:)

Machtyn, Jan 13, 2016

2. Windows 10 I/O Device Error

Unfortunately I am getting the same message with an external HD. I have two external drives, a 1TB drive which is working fine, and a 3TB drive that I keep getting a disk io error when trying to access. The directories off the root show up fine (after
    a short delay), but the data underneath is inaccessible. I've tried running chkdsk, but the app returns a message that the drive data is RAW(?) and not readable by the app. I tried running the disk scan app from the properties page, but that says the drive
    is inaccessible. The drive was working fine about six months ago, but no longer.

PeterJLadd1953, Jan 13, 2016
  3. Windows 10 backup system image

When i try to create a system image using windows7 backup system image in windows 10 i get an error that the backup drive is inaccessable i run dism restore health and sfc scannow there are no errors my hard drives are all artached and working fine so
    why is it tell me the drive is inaccessable?

carltonwalters, Jan 13, 2016
  4. Machtyn Win User

In the second image, you can see that there is a doubled blue arrows on the Minecraft icon. I've read that this means that file or files are compressed. Would this have an effect on my H: drive issue?

Machtyn, Jan 13, 2016
  5. Machtyn Win User
    As it turns out, it was a permissions issue. I needed to open the Properties -> Security -> Advanced section, modify the permissions for SYSTEM and Administrators, and add the USERS and Authenticated Users groups.

Machtyn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hard drive inaccessible after upgrade - (apps stored on drive run) - Similar Threads - Hard drive inaccessible

2. All old apps on hard drive but inaccessible after restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All old apps on hard drive but inaccessible after restore: I had to do a system reset, and I wanted to only roll back to two days ago. I made sure to select "Keep My Files". Now, Windows 11 is in its default, freshly installed state, including default apps that I don't want. All of my games, apps, and drivers appear to be on my hard...
  3. All old apps on hard drive but inaccessible after restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All old apps on hard drive but inaccessible after restore: I had to do a system reset, and I wanted to only roll back to two days ago. I made sure to select "Keep My Files". Now, Windows 11 is in its default, freshly installed state, including default apps that I don't want. All of my games, apps, and drivers appear to be on my hard...
  4. USB hard drive is inaccessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB hard drive is inaccessible: Hello, Mysterious USB hard drive problem. After a couple of hours trying to resolve this I have gotten various error messages shown below. - Hard Fail: music player locked up while accessing music files on external USB hard drive X: - Rebooted computer. Every time I...
  5. Hard Drive is Inaccessible Because of Administrator Problems?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive is Inaccessible Because of Administrator Problems?: I plugged a hard drive into my laptop today but Windows said it was inaccessible. I ran chkdsk in Command Prompt and it was able to access it with no problems, but Windows itself still could not access it. I ran Disk Management and I found out that the disk was only...
  6. Hard Drive Folders inaccessible

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Drive Folders inaccessible: The HP 8200 Elite SFF with Windows 10 64 bit the internal hard drive forever (j:) is with an issue. Last night the computer worked fine, today when I turned it on this happened. I opened up Forever and drilled down to a folder 'sites' and found a site folder I needed. I...
  7. Upgrading hard Drives

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading hard Drives: This is a custom built PC I want to buy a new system board & add a bigger SSD to my system an load my OS from it instead of the HDD. I have a digital licensefree upgrade in 2016 How does one go about this process? Am I able to reinstall my OS to a new drive and keep my...
  8. Hard drive run on.

Hard drive run on.: Can anyone tell me why my hard drive runs almost continuously on my Windows 10 Home Edition Build 180914 rs5 release 180914-1434 and how do I fix it. Its a home built Desktop with a 1.0 TB Western Digital SATA hard drive. My Lenovo Laptop with basically the same system...
  9. Hard drive inaccessible, parameter incorrect

Hard drive inaccessible, parameter incorrect: Last night for an unknown reason, my 1 TB Seagate external hard drive wasnt allowing me to use things inside of it or open it. It would tell me the parameters were incorrect. When it was plugged in, I was unable to use the taskbar with the start menu unresponsive and my...
  10. External hard drive is inaccessible

External hard drive is inaccessible: I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB USB 3.0 external hard drive that I use to store (majority) videos and documents. A few days ago it started giving me this error for every folder and file, and eventually just from trying to access the hard drive itself from This PC:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hard drives inaccessible after windows upgrade