Windows 10: Hard drive is full, but of what?

Discus and support Hard drive is full, but of what? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just reinstalled Windows 10 a week ago, because I was having all kinds of problems with a black screen. Maybe some of you read my post about my old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RoyFeni, Mar 15, 2016.

1. RoyFeni Win User

Hard drive is full, but of what?

I just reinstalled Windows 10 a week ago, because I was having all kinds of problems with a black screen. Maybe some of you read my post about my old boot disk coming up blank. But now I have the opposite problem: when I installed Windows 7 the second time, I used a different hard drive as my boot disk. Now Windows tells me that my boot disk is 75% full--it has 536 GB used! Checking 'Storage' in settings tells me that 496 GB are consumed by directories classified as 'Other', but the largest have only 1 with more than a GB, most of the rest are less than a MB. Checking the disk for errors finds no problem. Where did my storage go?
    *Confused

:)

RoyFeni, Mar 15, 2016
  2. Noela Tum Win User

C drive is full but D: drive has loads of space

Hi Oliver,

There are times when your Windows 10 device might be low on storage. Kindly answer the following questions to isolate the issue:

• Which version of Windows are you currently using? Click on Start, type
      winver, and then press Enter. Please include the OS build and version.
    • Can you provide us a screenshot or the exact error message?
    • Have you tried deleting the contents on your Recycle bin?

Instead of saving all your new files to the same drive, you can save some of them to a different drive. Here's how to do it:

1. Please open the Start menu and select Settings>
    System> Storage.

2. Under More storage settings, please select Change where new content is saved.

3. For each content type, select a drive from the dropdown menu. If the drive you want to use isn't listed there, make sure it's connected to your PC.

You can also visit this helpful article on
    how to free up drive space in Windows 10
    for more troubleshooting steps that you can try at home.

Hope this helps and let us know if it works.

Noela Tum, Mar 15, 2016
  3. C drive is full but D: drive has loads of space

How can I change settings ?

I am using Windows 10 and my C: drive is almost full . what can I do ?

olivercomberti, Mar 15, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Mar 15, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    I would just delete all those junk entries.

6. RoyFeni Win User
    Yes, thank you, I used disk cleanup and deleted the junk, but it found only a few tens of megabytes to remove, not hundreds of gigabytes (not counting its backup of Windows 7, which I wish to keep for now--but that's only 16GB). But I thank you for your efforts. I've also looked at hidden and system files, run chkdsk in the command prompt, and checked the settings in System Protection but nothing accounts for this weird amount of space being used.

RoyFeni, Mar 15, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    Did you check whether there were any restore points. The command would be

Vssadmin list shadowstorage

8. Hard drive is full, but of what?

Also, I use a tool, 'WinDirStat', that readily identifies what is on your drives- It is free.

DaveGrant01, Mar 15, 2016
  9. RoyFeni Win User
    Ack! Finally found a Windows Image Backup from 7/22/2015 (and I only installed last week!) that was taking up almost 400 GB.

RoyFeni, Mar 15, 2016
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    That is a good program. But it does not show you the shadows.

11. WHS
    whs Win User
    Yikes, that was a big one. It must have imaged more than C. There was probably system stuff on other partitions too.

Thema:

1. Hard drive is full, but of what? - Similar Threads - Hard drive full

2. Is the C/Hard Drive full or is Windows Cloud full?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is the C/Hard Drive full or is Windows Cloud full?: I went to the THIS PC folder and saw that the Windows is in RED, which means I'm running out of space, but I don't understand if it means the "cloud" windows is running out of space? Because I have a desktop Windows?...
  3. C drive almost full but hard drive hardly used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive almost full but hard drive hardly used: My C drive is almost full 94GB used of 104GB. I keep having problems updating windows. Practically all data is stored in the cloud, so I have nothing to move.The hard disk is 1 TB., so there is plenty of space. How do I access this space? I don't have any data to speak of to...
  4. C drive almost full but hard drive hardly used

C drive almost full but hard drive hardly used: My C drive is almost full 94GB used of 104GB. I keep having problems updating windows. Practically all data is stored in the cloud, so I have nothing to move.The hard disk is 1 TB., so there is plenty of space. How do I access this space? I don't have any data to speak of to...
  5. Full hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Full hard drive: I recently received a warning that my hard drive was full. My laptop is a HP 255 G3, which I understood had 5 GB RAM and 500 GB memory. When I checked storage it showed Local Disk C: - 930 GB and that over 860 GB was taken over by Apps & features. I have done some...
  6. Full hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full hard drive: I recently received a warning that my hard drive was full. My laptop is a HP 255 G3, which I understood had 5 GB RAM and 500 GB memory. When I checked storage it showed Local Disk C: - 930 GB and that over 860 GB was taken over by Apps & features. I have done some...
  7. Full hard drive

8. hard disk drive is full

hard disk drive is full: I am trying to free up spaces in my c drive. It seems my outlook pst file occupies a lot of space. I am trying to clear it, but still don't solve the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-drive-is-full/90f1de05-270c-4c3a-8779-a30c0cf05194
  9. Full copy of a hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Full copy of a hard drive?: Is it possible to make an entire copy of your Windows 10 hard drive installation with all existing programs so everything (and I do mean everything) can be transferred to a new SSD drive?...
  10. full hard drive

full hard drive: i have huge temp files appearing evry few minutes. most are AppXpackaging event logsas a consequence the computer hard drive is full and frozen. It fills up faster than I can delete the files. help there is also a text document referencing...