Windows 10: Hard drive not appearing in BIOS after PC upgrade

Discus and support Hard drive not appearing in BIOS after PC upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, [moving this thread from sevenforums to here!] I know there are a lot of threads about this already but I read a lot and none have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by arisutan, Nov 17, 2015.

1. arisutan Win User

Hard drive not appearing in BIOS after PC upgrade

Hi everyone, [moving this thread from sevenforums to here!]

I know there are a lot of threads about this already but I read a lot and none have helped me. I just did a complete upgrade of my PC replacing motherboard, video card, processor and power supply but keeping original hard drives. I did a fresh install of Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10 soon after completely smoothly with no issues. My boot drive and external survived, but for some reason, even though it was handled with great care, my other SATA hard drive doesn't appear anywhere anymore. I can hear it spin when I boot the PC but it doesn't appear in BIOS or in Disk Management. I changed the cable and the port it was plugged into but no dice.

IF it is indeed dead...what are my options in recovering the files? It is essential I get these files back!

Thanks in advance!

//it kind of worked on and off when plugged into my brother's PC which uses a different make of motherboard (I believe American Megatrends) but it seems like in the end it IT dead after all, just not quite lol)

:)

arisutan, Nov 17, 2015
  2. HairyFool Win User

Missing D:/ (HDD) Drive -- not on Disk Management

If it cannot be found even in Disk Manager then the drive is not attached.

Check to see if the BIOS can detect the drive. How you get into the BIOS varies by manufacturer with clone PC motherboards mostly using the Del key as soon as anything appears on screen, branded PCs often use the F2 key but check your documentation.

In the BIOS screens one will show all detected hard drives, if the BIOS cannot see it Windows wont.

HairyFool, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Windows 10 will not allow updating Bios by flashing

This Utah Dude again.

In "Safe Mode" I made some progress. The new hard drive now appears in the "Bios" and in the "Device Manager"; however, it does not show in "File Explorer" under "This PC".

It is not the "Master", it is the Slave Hard Drive.

In the Bios it would not install in SATA 1 but it did install in SATA 2, The Master is installed in "0"

Professor Hester, Nov 17, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Relax! Windows Update messed with all drivers during upgrade. All you need is to reinstall the SATA controller driver (if applicable) to make Windows see your disks again. IF there is no standalone SATA driver, then you need to install the chipset drivers which contain that and other system devices.

spapakons, Nov 17, 2015
  5. jds63 Win User
    Truthfully from what i know, hard drive will still be recognized in the BIOS without the drivers for controller ,as the other drives show . So good chances that drive did not survive and is bad. I had this issue before my drive use to disappear on me in explorer and the BIOS. If changing ports and cables did not help, then it would be the drive. As far as recovery i am not positive on how, first believe there is a way to hook it up through USB, but if dead going to be hard.

jds63, Nov 17, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Let's think positive *Smile It is not dead. In worst case it may have lost the partition data and cannot detect your files. There are recovery programs that ignore the partition table and search sector-by-sector allowing you to copy your data to another disk.

spapakons, Nov 18, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    Yes, always try to remain positive. As far as part for trying to recover the files, this i can not say for sure how to go about it and if it is possible.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  8. bobkn Win User

My first step would be to remove the malfunctioning SATA drive and stick it in an external drive dock. (Maybe that's because I own an external drive dock. They are not expensive.) If you can't detect the drive in that, you probably have a hardware failure.

Best of luck. It would be nasty to use the word "backup" at this late date, I suppose.

bobkn, Nov 18, 2015
  9. CountMike New Member
    IF it's not appearing in BIOS it's either connected wrong or it's electronics are fried. Windows or any other OS will not know about it. There is a slight chance that change of bus on MB would help. Also if controller in BIOS is set to AHCI or RAID, older HDDs may not like it.
    Also try changing data cable, they are known to fail.

CountMike, Nov 18, 2015
  10. bobkn Win User
    I suggest re-reading post #1. That's already been tried, along with changing SATA ports.

bobkn, Nov 18, 2015
  11. jds63 Win User
  12. CountMike New Member
    Well, excuse mua for living, must have missed one word. Maybe you should save your keyboard wear with such smart comments.

CountMike, Nov 18, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Sounds like probably the interface board is bad, but the disk internals might still be good. I would say take it to a reputable repair shop, especially one that caters to business users and data recovery. (And the Geek Squad is not all that reputable, BTW.)

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Yes, but only one drive disappeared so think that is it.

jds63, Nov 18, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just for clarification, I meant the interface board on the hard drive itself, not the motherboard.

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2015
Thema:

1. Hard drive not appearing in BIOS after PC upgrade - Similar Threads - Hard drive appearing

2. Missing Hard Drive after BIOS Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing Hard Drive after BIOS Update: I have an hp omen laptop 17t-w100 CTO and I had an issue with the battery. The battery level was stuck at 93%. As soon as I unplugged the charger, the laptop turned off.I read that a BIOS update might fix the issue. I had version F.53 and downloaded and installed the F.55...
  3. Missing Hard Drive after BIOS Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Hard Drive after BIOS Update: I have an hp omen laptop 17t-w100 CTO and I had an issue with the battery. The battery level was stuck at 93%. As soon as I unplugged the charger, the laptop turned off.I read that a BIOS update might fix the issue. I had version F.53 and downloaded and installed the F.55...
  4. Missing Hard Drive after BIOS Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. HARD DRIVES NOT APPEARING

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HARD DRIVES NOT APPEARING: So I had to reinstall windows 10 on my laptop. Now my hard drives are not appearing except for my C drive. I tried using "Create and format hard disk partitions" tool but the unallocated space would not appear. I checked the BIOS and all three hard drives are visible. Any...
  6. Stuck in bios after resetting my hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck in bios after resetting my hard drive.: Hello, I got my computer locked by Bit Locker, so I reseted my C drive, but when I turn on computer (Surface Pro 6) it opens in bios, and i’m not sure what to do, i’ve tried opening my computer in all modes, and it just runs in bios. Can you guys please help me, I have no way...
  7. Hard Drive not appearing

Hard Drive not appearing: Hey, I got a new hard drive today and for some reason I am unable to add it to my already existing SSD drive that my pc desktop currently runs on. I have tried going into create and format hard disk partitions and allocating the “unallocated disk” but there isn’t any drive...
  8. Hard drive appears as a folder in This PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive appears as a folder in This PC: [ATTACH] My D drive appears as a normal drive, but reappears as a folder in This PC, what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-appears-as-a-folder-in-this-pc/8d3b3ca1-786a-4a26-b4df-6c244bc214fe"
  9. Internal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown.

Internal hard drive not detected in BIOS after hard shutdown.: I have two WD hard drives with the OS installed on one and the other is for storage. All this started with a hard shut down when the PC froze and then after the restart Windows wouldn't boot at all. It was stuck at the Windows logo for a very long time. Then I checked in BIOS...
  10. Odd one Hard drive appearing twice in 'This PC'

Odd one Hard drive appearing twice in 'This PC': [img] [img] See Pictures, 'Local Disk E' appears twice at the side, not an issue, but I don't know why any ideas? 40043