Windows 10: Hard drive not recognized on new PC

Discus and support Hard drive not recognized on new PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, So I've recently built a new PC and I installed 4 hard drives on it. 1)256GB SSD 2)500GB HDD 3)600GB HDD 4)600GB HDD My problem is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by billy91, Oct 20, 2016.

1. billy91 Win User

Hard drive not recognized on new PC

Hello,

So I've recently built a new PC and I installed 4 hard drives on it.

1)256GB SSD
    2)500GB HDD
    3)600GB HDD
    4)600GB HDD

My problem is that the 3rd HDD drive is not recognized and its displayed as "Intel Raid 0 Volume" in Device Manager (I didn't change any settings in BIOS for RAID configuration).

When I enter Disk Management I get the message:

Hard drive not recognized on new PC [​IMG]

And also in partition management its displayed as "Disk 3 Unknown 1192.34GB Not initialized - Unallocated" (the actual HDD size is 600GB)

Two things I noticed:
    - In BIOS all the drives are displayed correctly
    - I used a SATA to USB adapter and the drive works fine with all the data on it.

I tried running some Chkdsk tests but didn't get anywhere since the drive doesn't event have a letter assigned to begin with.

Anyone knows a possible solution?

Thank you

:)

billy91, Oct 20, 2016
  2. margiris Win User

Windows 10 upgrade no longer sees external hard drive

My PC was forcibly upgraded to Windows 10. Preparing for an off line backup I plugged my external hard drive that I always use in to the PC and it is no longer recognized by my computer though windows 10 still chimes when the device is plugged into the
    PC. While it does not recognize the USB connected hard drive it is still able to access old USB sticks. I bought a new external hard drive and that also is not recognized by this PC. My laptop that I bought with Windows 10 installed recognizes both the
    old external Hard Drive and the New one.

margiris, Oct 20, 2016
  3. Hard drive not recognized Windows 10

I recently partitioned a 1 T hard drive on a new PC and now Windows 10 won't recognize a new 2 T Seagate portable hard drive that it recognized before. Is the partition the problem? Is there a way to make W 10 recognize the portable?

Windows 10 and a portable hard drive- Original Title

CurtisKruer, Oct 20, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

Assign a letter to it manually and it should work.

Plankton, Oct 20, 2016
  5. billy91 Win User
    How do I assign a letter to it in Windows 10?

billy91, Oct 20, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Open the Disk Management utility (diskmgmt.msc). Right click on disk 3, then select Assign drive letter... from the resulting pop-up menu. Easy!
    It may help to use diskpart before hand to wipe the disk, like this
    diskpartlist disk (gives you disk number for the drive you're working on, should be 3)
    select disk 3
    clean
    exitHopefully, that will clear off the RAID layout it currently "remembers."
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 20, 2016
  7. billy91 Win User
    Well I wish it was that easy *Wink There isn't an option to change letter on the particular drive

billy91, Oct 20, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

OK then, you may want to visit the maker's website and see if they have special formatting tools to grapple with the drive. Or you may want to try one of the free partition managers profiled in this article Best Free Partition Management Software | Gizmo's Freeware to see if one of them can help you access the drive. Otherwise, you may have to start thinking about acquiring a replacement. So sorry for your trouble.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 20, 2016
  9. billy91 Win User
    Thanks for your suggestion. I've tried using EaseUS Partition Master but still I don't see any options to access the drive.

(Btw the "bad" drive is the same model as Disk4, but Disk4 works just fine. And as you can see it shows 1.16TB unallocated space while in reality it should be 596GB)

Also the weird thing is that I can access all my data using a SATA to USB adapter, so I guess the drive should still be "workable".

Any other advice?
    Thanks

billy91, Oct 21, 2016
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Which drive in the preceding screen shot is the bad one? According to diskmgmt.msc it's drive 3 but which one is it in the EaseUS display? I'm confused, please straighten me out...
    Why is drive 4 showing as "read-only"? Curious...
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 21, 2016
  11. billy91 Win User
    Yeah in Disk Management its shown as Disk3 but in EaseUS its shown as Disk4 for some reason. I'm not sure why its showing read-only but I was unable to change it.

billy91, Oct 21, 2016
  12. EdTittel Win User
    There has been some discussion here on the forums about issues related to drives being set to read only causing all kinds of problems. The troubleshooting involved is kind of interesting, as described in this 2011 Windows Core Team blog post: My Disk is Read-only, Help! | Ask the Core Team. They explain some steps at the command line to help you assess your situation. You could do those things, for sure, but what about replacing that drive? If it's new enough, you should be able to swap with the maker for a free replacement. OTOH, a new drive isn't all that expensive any more. It might be more expeditious just to replace it. What do you think?
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 23, 2016
  13. Hard drive not recognized on new PC

Have you solved this? My friend bought an external HDD, which resulted in the same problem. We have tried everything you did, no luck. He returned it and got money back, but when they connected it to PC with 8.1, everything was fine, they said, it was probably because of 10. I am asking, because I want to buy it, but not, when I can not get it working on 10. *Rolleyes

TairikuOkami, Oct 23, 2016
  14. billy91 Win User
    @EdTittel
    I tried the method in the link you provided but didn't work. Replacing it will probably be the right thing to do since it also shows a lot of errors in the Event Viewer.

@TairikuOkami
    Still didn't manage to solve this. I tried repairing it using several ways but none of them seem to work so far. I will let you know if I finally manage to fix this.

billy91, Oct 24, 2016
  15. Did you try swapping the data cables around? Maybe it's just the one port on the mobo that's funky?

FuturDreamz, Oct 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Hard drive not recognized on new PC - Similar Threads - Hard drive recognized

2. SimpleTech Hard Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SimpleTech Hard Drive Not Recognized: When I plug in an external hard drive to my laptop the drive is not recognized and Windows says the drive malfunctioned The error is given during the installation of its USB driver. I mean the driver that Windows installs when connecting a device to a USB port. The drive...
  3. External Hard drive Not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive Not recognized: The device I am trying to install is an external hard drive I purchased from thee MAC store Backup Plus Portable Drive. I have tried all three methods stated above and non of them worked for me. In particular in regards to method 3 I have downloaded and installed the...
  4. new hard drive on pc

new hard drive on pc: How do i move my widows 10 to a new upgraded hard drive on the same pc. i want to make the new drive the main drive for my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-hard-drive-on-pc/04f6fb36-043c-4977-9df2-d444a59167e3
  5. Second hard drive not recognized

Second hard drive not recognized: Hi, I bought an additional used 2.5" HDD (1TB Toshiba MQ02ABF100) for my desktop which has an ASUS Motherboard ROG Strix B350-I Gaming. Since I already had an external 2.5" drive (512gb Western Digital WD5000BEVT) in a USB caddy, before installing the 1TB in my desktop, I...
  6. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: My second Hard Drive is not recognized. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-recognized/e93a541f-2e22-4896-88ab-3c2042aec8a6
  7. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: Hey, I got a new hard drive today and for some reason I am unable to add it to my already existing ssd drive that my pc desktop currently runs on. I have tried going into create and format hard disk partitions and allocating the “unallocated disk” but there isn’t any drive...
  8. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive not recognized: I had storage spaces From windows 8.1 that computer went down I moved Storage spaces to another computer. windows 10 machine. Everything works. I was able to Copy those files to another drives. now I want to reuse those drives but only let me rename it not to remove. I...
  9. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: suddenly my external hard drive is not showing up in my pc however i can see it in devices and printers how can i fix this problem without losing all the information on my hard drive?...
  10. external hard drive not recognized

external hard drive not recognized: I have two Western Digital 300GB, USB3, external drives. Suddenly both are not recognized by Windows. 1) Neither appear as a drive in File Explorer 2) Device Manager reports that the "device is working properly", and the drivers are up to date. There is a message in...