Windows 10: Hard drive not showing up in the navigation pane..??

Discus and support Hard drive not showing up in the navigation pane..?? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro where I had a system drive and a single storage drive installed. After that, I added another drive, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by angelleye, May 28, 2016.

1. angelleye Win User

Hard drive not showing up in the navigation pane..??

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro where I had a system drive and a single storage drive installed. After that, I added another drive, and this drive shows up under "This PC" in Windows Explorer, but it does not show in the navigation pane at the left like my other drive does.

Hard drive not showing up in the navigation pane..?? [​IMG]

In the screenshot you'll see I have D:/ and E:/ but only E:/ shows up on the left. I'd like D:/ to show up there above E:/ like I'm used to, and I'm not sure why it's not showing up there for me.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:)

angelleye, May 28, 2016

2. Hard drive showing up in disk management but not in file explorer

So I just finished building my new computer and I put a 2 tb firecuda sshd in it. I boute windows fine on my ssd and my hard drive showed up in the BIOS but it didn't show up in file explorer. I went to disk management and formatted it to be a basic drive
    but it's still not showing up in file explorer.

Jake Kogut, May 28, 2016
  3. Hard drive showing up in disk management but not in file explorer

here is a screenshot of it Disk 0 is my SSD and disk 1 is the hard drive that isn't showing up in windows file explorer

Hard drive not showing up in the navigation pane..?? [​IMG]

Jake Kogut, May 28, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 28, 2016
  5. angelleye Win User
    Well, both D: and E: are SATA drives, and they both showed up where I'm asking about in this same machine before I just did this clean install of Windows.

When I did the clean install I did not have the D: drive plugged in. The clean install added the SATA drive that was plugged in to the navigation pane as expected, but then when I plugged in the D: drive it shows up everywhere except for that navigation pane.

I played with "show all folders" but then it's too busy. The way it was before the clean install with these same exact drives was exactly what I wanted. No way to get this to show up now?

angelleye, May 29, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You might see if changing its drive letter may have it show afterwards.

Brink, May 29, 2016
  7. angelleye Win User
    Thanks, but that's not doing it either.

I actually have another drive I've just installed now, and it's not showing up over there either. So 3 SATA drives, but the only one that shows up there is the one that was plugged in when I did the clean install of Windows.

It's not the end of the world, but it'd sure be nice if I could figure out how to get that over there. Even a registry adjustment or something like that..??

angelleye, Jun 13, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Since they're not removable drives, I'm not sure they can be added.

If you like, you could "Pin to Quick access" the drives as a workaround to have them show under "Quick access" expanded in the navigation pane.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jun 13, 2016
  9. angelleye Win User
    But why does the E: drive show up there then? They are all SATA drives, so why would Windows consider one of them removable and the others not?

Also, again, prior to my clean install all 3 drives showed up there as expected. I had to replace the other drives (they both failed on a RAID array) and while I was waiting on the replacements I went ahead and did the clean install with just the E: drive installed. Now adding these after the fact isn't allowing them to be seen as removable for some reason.

I do have them pinned to quick access, and that helps, but it's still just not quite the same. My muscle memory is trained to go to that portion of the screen, so I keep wasting a half a second every time I go there and then remember, oh yeah, I gotta go up here now.

Petty, yes, but that little stuff ads up! *Smile

angelleye, Jun 13, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I hear you. I must admit that I'm not sure why it's not showing for you either. You might see if connecting the drive to a different port may toggle it.

Brink, Jun 13, 2016
  11. RWOne Win User
    Check disc management and see if the drive is listed there.

Likely scenario - It's there and showing as un-allocated space (to 10), hence no drive letter or showing up in file explorer though connected to the system.

If you added the drive but have nothing on it, then you can create a simple volume in disc management, it will get a drive letter, format and be available.

RWOne, Jun 13, 2016
  12. angelleye Win User
    The drives show up just fine in general and everything works fine. They just don't show up in that one spot that I pointed out in File Explorer like they always did for me before I did this clean install. Now only 1 of the 3 shows up there for some reason.

angelleye, Jun 14, 2016
  13. Hard drive not showing up in the navigation pane..??

Well the key thing is what happens when you try to access drive D by double clicking? Does it access it or do you get an error? That information would help alot.

orlbuckeye, Jun 14, 2016
  14. angelleye Win User
    This shows me all of my actual removable drives, but also includes the E:/ drive, which is a SATA drive like the ones that aren't showing up. Also, again, all 3 SATA drives showed up as removable before the clean install. Now only the one that was plugged in during the clean install is showing up as removable.

Seems that SATA drives plugged in during a clean install get considered removable, but after that they don't..??

angelleye, Jun 15, 2016
  15. angelleye Win User
    I have mentioned a few times now that the drives work perfectly fine. They simply don't show up in the removable drive spot like they did previously, and I kinda liked having them there.

It's also just interesting to me that as of now 1 of 3 SATA drives is showing up as removable. Why that one?

angelleye, Jun 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Hard drive not showing up in the navigation pane..?? - Similar Threads - Hard drive showing

2. Hard drives showing up twice in the navigation pane.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drives showing up twice in the navigation pane.: I have 7 drives in my desktop Windows 11 computer. All the drives show up in the Navigation Pane under "This PC" Two of my hard drives show up listed twice on the Navigation Pane. Once under "This PC" and once at the same level as "This PC". They are actually outside "This...
  3. Hard drives showing up twice in the navigation pane.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drives showing up twice in the navigation pane.: I have 7 drives in my desktop Windows 11 computer. All the drives show up in the Navigation Pane under "This PC" Two of my hard drives show up listed twice on the Navigation Pane. Once under "This PC" and once at the same level as "This PC". They are actually outside "This...
  4. Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Navigation Pane.: What's going on with this update? I only updated because it forced me to.My OCD can't take this ****.How do I remove this? I can't for some reason revert back to the previous version Also if someone can tell me how to stop updates from occurring ever....
  5. Some navigation pane items not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some navigation pane items not showing: Hi! I wanted to get rid of the quick access icon and have all my icons laying under the desktop icon instead. I tried using winaero tweaker to pin all the shell location I needed there. Thing is, every folder I pinned got duplicated for some reason.How can I get those folders...
  6. Navigation Pane - empty folders not showing

Navigation Pane - empty folders not showing: I have created a number of new sub-folders: R144,R145,R146,R147,R148,R149,R150,R151,R152,R153,R154,R155,R156,R158,R159 They sometimes appear in the preview pane, but not in the naviagation pane. I know they are there, because if I choose the folder, e.g. ..\R151, it will...
  7. File Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice: I have a new computer with Windows 10. in File Explorer the hard drives and the DVD drives appear twice. Once under "This PC" and then again at the same level as "This PC" following "Libraries". I don't recall this happening on my old computer which had Windows 10 also. Is...
  8. navigation pane

in Windows 10 Support
    navigation pane: where do I control the navigation pane in w10 113744
  9. Missing Drives in Navigation Pane?

Missing Drives in Navigation Pane?: Hello, just got Windows 10 Technical Preview and was a little confused by this... For some reason three of my hard drives are visible in the navigation pane as root items down the left, but the other four are not... What makes those three so special? How do I customize this?...
  10. Local drive not showing in navigation pane

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Local drive not showing in navigation pane: Any clue why one of my local drives doesn't show in navigation pane? [img] 48156

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 navigation pane not showing hdd