Windows 10: Hard drive/OS/Cloning Issue

Discus and support Hard drive/OS/Cloning Issue in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have a laptop with two 500 GB hard drives in it. I was going to clone these two drives using a Wavlink USB 3.0 dual bay docking station , and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jcb, Jan 17, 2016.

1. JCB
    jcb Win User

Hard drive/OS/Cloning Issue

So I have a laptop with two 500 GB hard drives in it.

I was going to clone these two drives using a Wavlink USB 3.0 dual bay docking station , and clone them onto a pair of 2 TB drives.

Some how my two source drives have become not boot able.

I have connected these two source drive to a different, working laptop and they are readable.

I ave swapped out the positions of the two source drives to no avail. I previously had made a windows 10 media flash drive, but when I boot from it, it is looking from some driver which I have zero clue about.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

:)

2. windows 10 removed my other windows 10 Operating System.

Thanks for your interest. In response to your questions:

• "Cloning", I mean making a exact back up duplicate hard drive of my existing windows 10 Operating System (OS). This way if the hard drive OR windows crashes I can use the back up hard drive to immediately continue to us my computer without having to spend
      days reloading all the programs again.
    • No I am not attempting any System Image Recovery on the original hard drive or a back up hard drive. I personally believe "cloning" is quicker and more reliable.
    • The current error message: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".
    My issue is I inadvertantly started my computer with 2 windows 10 Operating Systems (my current OS and the cloned back up OS from months ago). Error message came up stating something like a hard drive had error/s and then windows automatically modified the
    hard drive it assessed as having an error, persumably to fix the error. I further note I never had this problem with windows 7 as it usually just loaded the first OS it came accross.

Following the hard drive error message and windows automatically modifying / repairing a hard drive, then the back up cloned hard drive OS initialize and not my current OS. I then turned off the computer and disconnected the back up OS, leaving the current
    OS connected only. When the computer restarted an error message came up as stated in point 3 above.

BIOS sees the current OS hard drive BUT apparently does not recognise it as an OS. All indications are windows modified this hard drive when I started the computer with both windows 10 OS and now the BIOS no longer recognises the current OS.

I need instructions on how to correct the changes windows made to my current OS / hard drive. Might require assigning a letter to the hard drive or setting it as active OS or whatever. I can not risk guessing and stuffing the hard drive completely. I suggest
    it is an easy fix to a learned professional.

Regards, Keith

keithlyncd, Jan 17, 2016
  3. windows 10 removed my other windows 10 Operating System.

Hi, I was going to clone my current windows 10 OS (back up). I inadvertently put in the previous hard drive that I had cloned the older current windows 10 OS version on. When I turned on the computer a message loaded indicating hard drive error and then
    windows modified the hard drive. I assumed it was modifying the new hard drive I just connected. To my surprise the older cloned version of my current windows 10 OS then loaded asking for the previous Microsoft password I no longer remember. I then restarted
    the computer with only the current windows 10 OS hard drive to discover it no longer worked. BIOS sees it but does not recognize it as the OS because I believe the hard drive was changed when I first started the computer with both OS connected and the message
    loaded claiming hard drive error and then windows modified that hard drive.

My question … Can someone please advise me on how I can undo the changes made to my current windows 10 hard drive to reactivate it to enable it to be recognized as an Operating System to enable it to load on boot? I have access to an external caddy and another
    computer and Parogon / other software. Just need to know the procedure on what to do to undo the changes made to it.

Cheers ...

keithlyncd, Jan 17, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Make sure you switch which drive the bios is trying to boot from - not just the position of the drives. Your boot files are likely on only one of the drives and it's possible that bios is trying to boot from the other one.

NavyLCDR, Jan 17, 2016
  5. JCB
    jcb Win User
    I've tried this also, on both drives it wakes up with "Checking Media" 3 times (each one failed) then it says "No bootable device -- Please restart system".

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    On an operating computer install Macrium Reflect Free. Make a rescue USB/DVD/CD. Boot the problem laptop with the rescue disc and under restore menu is a utility to fix windows startup problems. That program works when others fail.

Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Jan 17, 2016
  7. JCB
    jcb Win User
    I sorry, but at this point I really can't lose the data that is on these HD's.

Is there a way that you could explain to me how and what to put on this flash drive.

On the affected laptop, I don't even have a dos prompt.

8. cereberus Win User

As NavyLCDR says, on another pc, install Macrium Reflect Free and run it.

It will ask you to create a Rescue Drive. Put usb stick in pc (1GB min), and it will create a rescue drive.
    If you do not get a prompt, you can do it from other tasks menu.

Then you boot from the rescue drive (may nerd to set boot order in bios).

Then when Macrium loads up, select restore tab, and click 'fix windows boot problems'

It should then list all OS installations, click on one you want to boot from, and set it as default.

The clck next, finish, and it will rebuild boot sectors. This does not lose any data, and in fact you can use it as it is designed for ie to backup everything.

cereberus, Jan 17, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thanks cereberus for explaining further! Just one clarification - after you make the rescue USB/DVD/CD on the operating computer you then move the USB/DVD/CD to the non-booting laptop and boot the laptop from the rescue USB/DVD/CD.

NavyLCDR, Jan 17, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    yeah - the other day one guy on another forum wrote a long post saying MRF had screwed up his pc always booting into MRF.

I replied 'you have removed the usb stick?' and pricelessly he replied 'you never told me to do that!'

As an aside, people sometimes say I am OTT using MRF to fix boot problems, but I found, as you said, it often works when bcdedit etc fails.

Main reason I tell lesser experienced users to use it is it is easy to do and requires little expertise.

Maybe we should write a tutoria

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hard drive/OS/Cloning Issue - Similar Threads - Hard drive Cloning

2. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  3. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning a hard drive: Original OS - Windows 8.1Current OS - Windows 10My Dell Desktop won't boot up. Diagnostics shows my HDD is OK. I was wanting to copy everything to a backup drive before I tried to re-install Windows 8.1 original OS. I pulled the HDD WD 1TB SATA, attached a SATA to USB cable...
  4. Cloning a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cloned Hard Drive Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned Hard Drive Issues: I cloned a hard drive from a Toshiba laptop to an SSD that I put in an HP laptop. Everything is fine except for some Bluetooth issues. I cannot pair the earbuds on the HP that I used on the Toshiba, nor can I delete them. Is this caused by some data on the Toshiba motherboard...
  6. Cloning Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning Hard Drive: I use an ssd for booting windows and I had a bad 1TB hard drive which I'm now cloning to a better 2TB hard drive using Macrium Reflect. The cloning is almost done (90%) but I have a few questions. How does it work with the download/picture/documents folder in File...
  7. Cloning OS drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning OS drive: I'm running 10 on a refurb'd Dell which came with 10 on an SSD. I would like to make a bootable clone of the OS on a 2nd SSD of the same size (128 gig). I've used Macrium in the past to clone a 7 OS disk, worked fine, but I have read a few threads online where a user has...
  8. Hard drive clone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hard drive clone: Hey: Can I create a cloned drive by cloning to a hd on my PC from my laptop drive & then from the PC to SSD? I only have 1 cable & my laptop will not boot. Both machines have win10 upgrades - 1 from win7 pro -PC & 1 from win 8 home - laptop....
  9. Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure

Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure: I've read up on creating dual boot setups, and for a while had a second system on a partition of my only hard drive. Gave that up as unwieldy and installed a second disk for backups. I propose to install a copy of my OS on the new disk as a partition. Couple of questions:...
  10. Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive

Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive: Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go to keep the User folder...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hard drive os cloning and issues