Windows 10: Hard drive partition requirements for get windows 10 ?

Discus and support Hard drive partition requirements for get windows 10 ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On my laptop I have 3 primary partitions only, ( no small 100m partition windows typical installs use ). I have had Windows 10 in a hidden folder for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Linear, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Linear Win User

Hard drive partition requirements for get windows 10 ?

On my laptop I have 3 primary partitions only, ( no small 100m partition windows typical installs use ). I have had Windows 10 in a hidden folder for a while now, but have postponed the update until now. When starting the upgrade process Window is just stuck "Working on it" and also shows a fail on update site. When launching setup in the hidden folder it cannot find a boot.wim file or similar name. Anyway that got me thinking that my partitioning is affecting this "Get Windows 10" upgrade.

Any ideas on this ?

I can reinstall Win 7 / activate / Get 10 again, however a shorter approach would be better.

:)

Linear, Aug 7, 2015
  2. Shaya_SLA Win User

Required Drive Partition Missing

A few months ago a bought a laptop with Windows 8 preloaded. After purchase I upgraded to Windows 10.

The laptop came with a 1 TB hard drive partitioned into two sections (372GB and 542 GB). I am trying to install a new solid state 500 GB hard drive.

I made a recovery disk using the windows 10 feature and saved it onto a USB drive.

When I swapped the hard drives and tried to load windows from the USB I get an error message "Unable to reset your PC. A Required Drive Partition Missing". What can I do?

Shaya_SLA, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Windows 10 on a dual boot system

Follow-up summary:

My primary boot drive (500Gb) is partitioned and set up with Windows 7 64 bit (default boot) on one partition and Windows Vista 32 bit on the other. The Windows 7 partition has the "Get Windows 10" icon in the notification area.

My second hard drive (250Gb) is partitioned with Windows 7 64 bit on one partition. This partition
    also has the "Get Windows 10" icon in the notification area. The other partition is for data storage only, and does not have a bootable operating system.

The startup Windows Boot Manager currently shows three options:

Windows 7 -> (on my second hard drive)

Windows 7 -> (on my primary hard drive, default boot)

Windows Vista -> (on my primary hard drive)

I do not have to go into BOIS to change any hard drive boot options, as this is taken care of by the Windows Boot Manager. When the time comes, I will attempt the Windows 10 free upgrade on the second hard drive, and NOT on my primary hard drive.

If this does not work, I will skip the Windows 10 free upgrade altogether. The information pages state that Windows 10 is not backward-compatible with some of my existing software. Losing functionality is not, in my mind, much of an upgrade.

TerrySteffen, Aug 7, 2015
  4. tamo Win User

Backup your important files /reinstall win 7 /activate /upgrade to win 10 from bootable USB or DVD . It will automatically activate with no product key . Then and only then you can clean install windows 10 ( again no product key is required as your activated up and running windows 7 was your qualifying OS)

tamo, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Linear Win User
    Thanks for the response, you did not mention anything about the partition aspect. Win 7 is running fine on the machine right now. Can I do the upgrade via DVD on current setup and let the installer figure out its partition needs. I have already downloaded the iso. It would save time from the reinstall activate 7 method.

Linear, Aug 7, 2015
  6. FYI, I had a Win7 machine that did not have the System Reserved partition because I had migrated the boot stuff into the OS partition. When I tried to run the Win10 upgrade, it would not run. I tried it through Windows Update and using a Win10 DVD I burned from their ISO download -- and it failed the same way both times. It also failed on another Win7 PC that came with the default System Reserved partition.

I've read that the Win10 Upgrade requires a 350MB System Reserved partition to work. Why it's not smart enough to either (1) create one (if one does not exist) or (2) resize an existing one -- is beyond me.

Mark Phelps, Aug 7, 2015
  7. js1662 Win User
    Below are the partitions I found on a few machines that I have successfully upgraded to Windows 10. It seems to me that the upgrade will resize or create the partition by itself.

2 DIY Desktops, System Reserved 350M (resized from 100M), Recovery Partition 450M (Hidden partition and newly created).

Lenovo T61, System Reserved 100M (size unchanged), Recovery Partition 450M (Hidden partition and newly created).

HP Pavilion dm4, System Reserved 199M (resized from 100M but not 100% sure), Recovery Partition 18.8G (Non-hidden, probably same as before for holding factory recovery image).

Samsung RC-510, System Reserved 100M (size unchanged), Recovery Partition 450M (Hidden partition and newly created). With Win 7 before the upgrade, HDD has 100M System Reserved, C: and D:. After upgrade, it becomes 100M System Reserved, C:, 450M (Recovery Partition) and D:

I have no idea why the System Reserved partition is different among the various machines.

js1662, Aug 8, 2015
  8. tamo Win User

The partition issues your having is out of my depth, hopefully some of the more experienced users will see this and keep you right .

Good luck

tamo, Aug 8, 2015
  9. swarfega Win User
    The Windows Installer will only setup partitions on clean installs otherwise it respects what you already have.

swarfega, Aug 8, 2015
  10. Sorry, NOT true. Mine was an Upgrade and the installer did create a new partition and resized the existing partitions -- as part of the installation. Perhaps when it's done, and the upgrade is done, it removes the partition(s) it created for the install, but mine failed and I had no post-install state.

Mark Phelps, Aug 9, 2015
  11. Thanks for all the details. Wish I could say I feel better now, but I don't . I was hoping the upgrade failure was due to the System Reserved partition being too small.

Mark Phelps, Aug 9, 2015
  12. Linear Win User
    Although I have done nothing yet on the note book I evaluated this on another machine at home. No issue with an upgrade from disk with no system reserve partition. Have not messed with this machine yet other than right now windows update wants to install now.

Linear, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hard drive partition requirements for get windows 10 ? - Similar Threads - Hard drive partition

2. Windows 10 Hard Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Hard Drive Partition: I have a bunch of unallocated partitions on the left side of the C drive and I can't extend the C drive volume. How can I move those unallocated spaces to the right side of the C drive?...
  3. Windows 10 Hard Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Hard Drive Partition: I have a bunch of unallocated partitions on the left side of the C drive and I can't extend the C drive volume. How can I move those unallocated spaces to the right side of the C drive?...
  4. Windows 10 Hard Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Partitioning a Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning a Hard drive: Hi, I recently installed a new HDD and was hoping to create a partition in order to keep my programs separated for organisation reasons. If anybody knows how to create a hard drive partition in windows 11 then I would appreciate the help a lot thanks. x...
  6. Partitioning Hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Partitioning Hard drive: My hard disk performance is reduced drastically. Will partion help to increase performance. My pc is old and so hard disk. I only use it to store video files and other data....
  7. Windows 10 Hard Drive Partitions ...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Hard Drive Partitions ...: Hello all, Which partitions can I safely delete on my hard drive please see image from Disk Manager? I really don't know diddly about this and don't want to delete something I will most surely regret. All I want on my primary drive is the essential stuff. Thank you....
  8. Hard drive partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive partitions: I cloned my 1TB hard drive to my 4TB hard drive and there are 2 unallocated sotrage I can allocate one but I can't do anything with the other they are at C: 930.94GB G: 1116.49GB leaving me with 1678.02GB that I can't allocate or merge with any of the other 2 or merge all 3...
  9. Windows Partitions on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Partitions on Hard Drive: Can someone tell me what partitions I should have on my hard drive after I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows Home Premium Build 10586. I have some new small partitions and I don't know if they belong to the OS or they got allocated from another source. 32507
  10. partitioning hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    partitioning hard drive: hi all this is a question about GPT UEFI and LEGACY partitions if I install in legacy mode on a 1 TB drive with no partitions will my laptop run ok I dont understand why GPT gives 4 partitions and I dont understand UEFI please explain all 3 options. many thanks to all that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 legacy parition requirements

2. windows 10 partition requirements