Windows 10: Hard Drive seems corrupt. 1 Partition now showing now as 2 Partitions?

Discus and support Hard Drive seems corrupt. 1 Partition now showing now as 2 Partitions? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello Short story. Western Digital Elements Drive 3TB use for back up and today wouldn't power. Swapped all cables no luck. Removed hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mfx, Feb 15, 2017.

1. MFX
    mfx Win User

Hard Drive seems corrupt. 1 Partition now showing now as 2 Partitions?

Hello

Short story. Western Digital Elements Drive 3TB use for back up and today wouldn't power.
    Swapped all cables no luck.
    Removed hard drive from Caddy housing and mounted in rig direct to motherboard.
    The hard drive is readable but appears something has happened to the partition (without me doing any tasks etc to it).
    The hard drive was 1 single partition with quite a lot of data.
    The drive now in the rig is showing as 3 partitions (raw data). This is now showing as 2 partitions since loading in system rig and converting from MBR to GPT. Snapshot below.
    I have not reformatted the drive and the drive is showing as inaccessible in windows.
    (I have just ordered another 3TB drive to try to recover the data too.)

Questions:

1 - Any ideas what would cause this issue with the partitions as has baffled me and made me more cautious in recovery routes and options.
    2 - Before I try Recuva on the drive (which I assume I will need to format the drive first to attempt this). What is the best steps to take before attempting to recover the data.
    3 - Any other software that is going to do a better job than Recuva?
    4 - Anything else to try before I do down route 2.

Thanks for your help. Normally I have back ups. But there's a large chunk of photos and other data I had yet to back up to my secondary back up drive *Sad

Thanks for your help

M

The drive causing the issue is Disk 1.
    I am aware that W drive is overloaded at this moment. I normally maintain 20% headroom.
    Drive G is being removed (hence back up data on W and new hard drive on its way)

81%x​ [

:)

2. Hard drive not recognized Windows 10

I recently partitioned a 1 T hard drive on a new PC and now Windows 10 won't recognize a new 2 T Seagate portable hard drive that it recognized before. Is the partition the problem? Is there a way to make W 10 recognize the portable?

Windows 10 and a portable hard drive- Original Title

CurtisKruer, Feb 15, 2017
  3. WizardWN Win User
    Delete Empty Disk Partition in Windows 10

Okay. All drives internal.

Yes I see the shift of Disk 0 to Disk 1 and Disk 1 to Disk 2. Why does Disk 0 not show up in lower part of Disk Management ? I see Program (D) it listed in upper part. It should be listed below as Disk 0 below! Something may be wrong. Your plan my not work.
    Does This PC or My Computer show new SSD?

When I install a SSD , I hook up and power the SSD first and install Windows, SSD becomes Disk 0 ( C drive boot drive with other partitions) I have now installed Windows operating system. Shutdown. Next I hook up hard drive with becomes Disk 1. Since new
    hard drive is not formatted it can not be used. If I go to This PC or My Computer the hard drive will not show. So I use Disk Management configure hard drive so it can be used. Reboot. Check This PC or My Computer now and hard drive will show now. Now I can
    configure SSD and install programs.

Ask Geek squad about maybe Installing Windows 10 on new SSD Disk 0 and before install remove all old partitions on Disk 2(old C drive) and leave Disk 1 (hard drive) as it is. After Windows 10 installed Use Disk Management to correct Disk 2 partitions if
    needed. That might work. Windows 10 install must be able to see Disk 0 as new SSD.

If I remember or heard:

If for example say if Disk X is where you want to install Windows Disk X can only have 4 partitions.

With your old install Disk 1(C drive) had 5 partitions and maybe Windows install can not remove all partitions and the 5th partition is unallocated space to be configured or assumes this is a existing data drive and leaves it there.

The method used to Install the original Windows setup caused the unallocated 12GB space. Do not blame Microsoft.

If your new computer advertised specs said it had for example 240GB drive installed. What They did not say was C drive contain 240 GB, but if config the unallocated space as another drive it will.

WizardWN, Feb 15, 2017
  4. Hard Drive seems corrupt. 1 Partition now showing now as 2 Partitions?

Hi mfx

Likely the faulty hard drive caddy. See @clam1952 in thread below.
    @spunk has suggested other software that you may want to investigate. Ignore my post in that thread. (Same thread below)

May be @SOHO1 can post what software he used to fix.

What is a RAW drive and how do I fix it?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 16, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Feb 16, 2017
  6. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Thanks for the response.
    Going to buy minitools (be useful for a few other drives maybe Ive got stored for a rainy day).
    The hard drive is out of the caddy. Popped it in an external usb2 caddy and wouldn't see it.
    Installed in rig and well screenshots show the results.
    Will let you know how the minitools works out.
    Thanks again.

7. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Stopped at 12% on simple.

Hard Drive seems corrupt. 1 Partition now showing now as 2 Partitions? [​IMG]

Im going to attempt advanced once the new drive arrives for the new back up.

8. MFX
    mfx Win User

I've been advised by minitools to convert the corrupt disk 1 to GPT from MBR and then used data recovery, will this cause any additional damage/problems? Disk 2 (2.73TB) is the hard drive I am trying to recover.

Email below (there response in italics) after sending a minidump as it wasnt scanning the hardrive as noted at 12%.

Disk 1 is MBR disk, please convert it to GPT with MiniTool Partition Wizard”

The disk has not been altered to MBR this is the format when removed from the caddy and when loaded into the rig directly on a sata cable to the mortherboard, it showed as 3 partitions which has now changed to 2?

“Besides, you can recover data from RAW partition with MiniTool Power Data Recovery”

Does this mean the the MBR to GPT conversion is not detrimental to the data on the drive?

Note: Before data recovery, please stop doing any operation to your partition. Otherwise, the possibility of data recovery is slim.”

By this you mean it is okay to convert from MBR to GPT and then attempt data recovery?

9. jumanji Win User
    Hi mfx,

Hold on for some more time. Do not do anything.

Your 3TB Elements drive is most probably an advance formatted 4096 Bytes per sector size MBR drive. The electronics ( SATA to USB bridge) inside the enclosure has a special drive Translation circuitry that converts the data stream from 4096 sectors to 512 Bytes data stream and presents it to the OS. If you take it out of the enclosure that drive translation is lost.

If you want to recover the data the right course would be to use TestDisk, check what sector size is shown and if it is 512 bytes change it to 4096 bytes per sector and ask it to read the data.

You will only be mucking up the drive by converting it to GPT.

Please check the external enclosure case and let me know whether it carries the AF Logo.

jumanji, Feb 17, 2017
  10. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Hi

No AF logo. Its a WD Elements drive. The problem is the drive was not powering or booting from the caddy. Unfortuantely in relation to your post Im too late. The drive is mounted in the system.
    Converted to GPT from MBR.
    It's requesting to format and then use Recuvva to get back the data?
    I have not formatted yet.

11. jumanji Win User
    Do not format. Why were you in such a hurry? You asked a question "Does this mean the the MBR to GPT conversion is not detrimental to the data on the drive?" and even before any one could answer went ahead converting it into GPT.

That definitely is not going to solve your data recovery problem since as I said it is the sector size problem that makes your drive unreadable on direct connection.

jumanji, Feb 17, 2017
  12. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Yes sorry if I was not clear. I emailed to the minitools developer. He stated it needs to be converted to GPT as the data wont recall. You are quite correct.
    Im holding fast until I know what to do next.

Thanks my apologies.

13. MFX
    mfx Win User

I was meant to get some of this data back by Monday, its abut 2TB+ so I imagine it's going to take a while, but I can be patient...unless I've simply gone too far and made it worse, or beyond saving.
    Timelines will have to wait I guess.

Thanks again

14. jumanji Win User
    OK. We shall now try TestDisk on your 3TB drive as it is.

First reconvert your 3TB drive from GPT back to MBR using PW. In theory converting it from MBR to GPT and GPT to MBR should not affect your data. But still I would have preferred that you had not converted it into GPT to maintain the original MBR.

Now download "TestDisk & PhotoRec 7.0 (18 April 2015), Data Recovery" from here TestDisk Download - CGSecurity Extract it to the root of your system drive C:. ( Download only the Windows version and not the Windows 64 version)

Hard Drive seems corrupt. 1 Partition now showing now as 2 Partitions? [​IMG]

Now you are ready to run testdisk_win.exe in the testdisk-7.0 folder. Please follow the instructions scrupulously. Do not deviate and try to do things on your own. TestDisk is highly interactive. If you have any doubts on how to proceed next, post a screenshot and then close TestDisk by clicking on X on the top right of the Menu Bar and wait for my instructions.

Run Test Disk. ( You will be using the up/down, Left/Right arrow keys to move in the TestDisk Window}

First screen: Highlight/select [No log] Press Enter Key
    Second Screen: Highlight/select your 3TB drive. [Proceed] is highlighted. Press enter
    Third Screen: [Intel] Enter
    Fourth Screen: Highlight [Geometry] and press Enter.
    Please post the the fifth screenshot. Close TestDisk and wait for further instructions.

jumanji, Feb 17, 2017
  15. MFX
    mfx Win User
    5th screen.

If it's useful, converting back to MBR has recreated the 3 partitions again (as it was prior to the GPT conversion).

Patiently awaiting you help.

Thank you so much for the second chance.

Thema:

1. Hard Drive seems corrupt. 1 Partition now showing now as 2 Partitions? - Similar Threads - Hard Drive seems

2. Partitioning a Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning a Hard drive: Hi, I recently installed a new HDD and was hoping to create a partition in order to keep my programs separated for organisation reasons. If anybody knows how to create a hard drive partition in windows 11 then I would appreciate the help a lot thanks. x...
  3. Partitioning Hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Partitioning Hard drive: My hard disk performance is reduced drastically. Will partion help to increase performance. My pc is old and so hard disk. I only use it to store video files and other data....
  4. External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer?: [ATTACH] Edit: It was pulled from my mac computer. Im dumb. I'm using Windows 10. My ssd connected with a usb adapter shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer. Does anyone know why this happens? The partitions look like they are windows partitions...
  5. Hard drive partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive partitions: I cloned my 1TB hard drive to my 4TB hard drive and there are 2 unallocated sotrage I can allocate one but I can't do anything with the other they are at C: 930.94GB G: 1116.49GB leaving me with 1678.02GB that I can't allocate or merge with any of the other 2 or merge all 3...
  6. 2 Drives now 1!

2 Drives now 1!: I have 2 identical 500GB drives. They showed up as 2 separate drives until recently. Now the second drive is showing up as part of my C: drive. What did I do and how can I get it back to show as 2 drives? The second drive shows up as "Healthy Recovery Partition" in Disk...
  7. Hard Drive Partitioning

Hard Drive Partitioning: Good day Team. I have a system that came with 16GB, and 256 SSD. WINDOWS 10 PRO VERSION: 1909 OS BUILD: 18363.815 MODEL: LENOVO THINKPAD T450 Please how do I PARTITION the hard drive? Thank you....
  8. Hard Drive Partition

Hard Drive Partition: I have a hard drive from an old laptop that I would like to create a virtual machine for on my current laptop. What would be the best process to partition the drive on my Windows 10 to do this?...
  9. partitioning hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    partitioning hard drive: hi all this is a question about GPT UEFI and LEGACY partitions if I install in legacy mode on a 1 TB drive with no partitions will my laptop run ok I dont understand why GPT gives 4 partitions and I dont understand UEFI please explain all 3 options. many thanks to all that...
  10. partitioning hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    partitioning hard drive: While I had windows XP I partitioned my hard drive and had ubuntu running side-by-side with windows. When I tried that with windows Vista ubuntu wiped out everything and took over the whole drive. How can I partition my hard drive and install ubuntu without losing win 10?...