Windows 10: Hard Drive Space Completely Dissappeared

Discus and support Hard Drive Space Completely Dissappeared in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; i was busy working on a photoshop project for school, for a few hours, when thing started getting sluggish. I figured it was just photoshop and i'll... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by billybag, Mar 17, 2016.

1. billybag Win User

Hard Drive Space Completely Dissappeared

i was busy working on a photoshop project for school, for a few hours, when thing started getting sluggish. I figured it was just photoshop and i'll take a break in a bit anyway, another hour or so went by and it was getting worse so i figured i should save and restart photoshop... but i couldnt save. That is also when i noticed my c drive went from 400GB+ free space to 0bytes...

i dont want to restart my computer for fear of making it worse. CCleaner reclaimed about 2GB that also disappeared.

Any ideas? i can't think of what the problem could be. i haven't been doing anything else except photoshop and google chrome.

:)

billybag, Mar 17, 2016

2. Photos dissappeared from folder

Hi Mark,

To the best of knowledge I belive there may have been an update also my anti virus expired but I put a new one on straight away.

One anomaly that comes to mind was all my usual desktop files and background completely changed and lots of software dissappeared when the system started up. I could access files through hard drive via desktop including photos. Then about a week later all
    the stuff came back on the desktop and then that's when the picture files dissappeared but all software and stuff on desktop was safe.

Hope that helpa

ChrisMurray_81, Mar 17, 2016
  3. Windows 10 update issues.

i need to do a windows 10 update, but my HP ladtop only has 32GB space, and with windows installed, doesn't leave me much space to complete and update.

I have read that you can complete an update with an External Hard drive installed, and there will be the option to select 'use External Hard Drive' to upgrade, however i do not get this option, only to create more space. what do i need to do to enable
    my external hard drive to be used to upgrade windows on my laptop?

SirDavid231, Mar 17, 2016
  4. Railtech Win User

I would suggest if possible open Explorer and have a look at contents of the drive to determine what has taken up all the space. Hard to imagine you accumulated over 400GB of temp Photoshop files although I suppose you could have.

Railtech, Mar 17, 2016
  5. pbcopter Win User
    pbcopter, Mar 17, 2016
  6. Railtech Win User
    Can't install an app on a full drive?

Railtech, Mar 17, 2016
  7. billybag Win User
    i tried, but with 0 bytes, i couldn't DL anything. I restarted my computer anyway and i got all my space back. i wish i knew what the hell happened! That was scary. i had a year old external crash on my 2 days ago which was traumatic enough.

billybag, Mar 17, 2016
  8. Railtech Win User

I take it you got a look with Explorer, what type files did you see? All the same file? Might want to scan for Malware!

Railtech, Mar 17, 2016
  9. pbcopter Win User
    Tree Size Free does not need to be installed and can be downloaded to and run from a USB drive.

pbcopter, Mar 17, 2016
  10. billybag Win User
    yeah i looked through explorer and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. i also scanned for Malware and Viruses and came out clean. I used HijackThis as well.

That is good to know about Tree Size Free. i will remember that.

billybag, Mar 17, 2016
  11. Edwin New Member
    Was CCleaner perhaps performing a drive wipe and filling your hard drive with 'sleeper' files for a portion of time?

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hard Drive Space Completely Dissappeared - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Space

2. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive space: I have a 128GB SSD Windows 10 home version 22H2 Build 19045.4291 and my programs are installed on.However I am losing fee space on a daily bases, current only 7..0 GB free.Checked Windows folder and have 2 folders SoftwareDistribution 945mb and another...
  3. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive space: I have a 128GB SSD Windows 10 home version 22H2 Build 19045.4291 and my programs are installed on.However I am losing fee space on a daily bases, current only 7..0 GB free.Checked Windows folder and have 2 folders SoftwareDistribution 945mb and another...
  4. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared: Two of my internal drives COMPLETELY dissappeared from my new laptop. They were there one day, and then they just weren't! They didn't have anything in them as I just got it two days ago as a hand-me-down from a friend. Evem after I factory reset the whole laptop, they're...
  5. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared: Two of my internal drives COMPLETELY dissappeared from my new laptop. They were there one day, and then they just weren't! They didn't have anything in them as I just got it two days ago as a hand-me-down from a friend. Evem after I factory reset the whole laptop, they're...
  6. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive space: My C: Drive is Highlighted,+but full,and i cannot add anything to it.... I have an E: Drive that shows over 931 GB of space,but it is Grey-Not highlighted...seems to be dormant....How do i activate it/add to it ? Thanks John R....
  8. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive space: I have 16 GB of unused hard drive space, yet I get an error indicating that I don't have enough harddrive space to download the upgrade. How much space is required? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-space/37e9202e-eb44-4989-bc99-1b0e6172dcee
  9. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive space: My computer has a 950 gig hard drive. Somehow there is about 860 gig of temporary file useage and I can not see where the space is used at even after using the temporary file clean up function....
  10. no space on hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no space on hard drive: hello, I have not much space left on hard drive but I don't know what is taking so much space please advice ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-space-on-hard-drive/5d048c6b-e63d-4b69-a5f0-a24668607148