Windows 10: hard drive space.. win ten taking up 150gb

Discus and support hard drive space.. win ten taking up 150gb in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I wonder if any one can shed some light here. I have just done a full win ten install from usb and not keeping any files.. all installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by paulcfc, Aug 12, 2015.

1. paulcfc Win User

hard drive space.. win ten taking up 150gb

Hi,
    I wonder if any one can shed some light here.
    I have just done a full win ten install from usb and not keeping any files..

all installed fine but win ten is somehow using 150gb when I search through the c drive all I can find is windows old (12.6gb) and windows (13.7gb) and a few other files but not big in size...

where is the other 125gb???

thanks
    paul

:)

paulcfc, Aug 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 - Restore Points are being deleted

Hi,

So I've been keeping an eye on things and it is still deleting restore points, but it seems to coincide with something worse.

For some reason my computer keeps eating the empty space on my hard drive. It drops from 150Gb free to <10Gb, in fact 20 minutes ago I had less than 3Mb of space on my hard drive. After restarting my hard drive space is restored to 150Gb and my 'excess'
    restore points no longer exist.

It's done this a couple of times in the last week. No idea why.

thoughts12, Aug 12, 2015
  3. BB125 Win User
    Windows 10 wrongly thinks drive is full.

SOLUTION: Disable compression on the target folder. This is a Windows 10 / NTFS bug. (03/2017)

-------------------------------------------------------

I have discovered an issue with my Windows 10 PC, where saving disk images onto my HDD would report "Disk is full" when it isn't.

1) When I create a disk image, the internal SATA HDD it is being saved to always thinks it is fuller than it is.

-This is when viewing the disk capacity under "This PC"

-Backing up a drive that is 250GB capacity, 150GB used, will create an image that is 150GB on the backup destination. The disk however, will lose around 300GB capacity. (Let's for illustrative purposes say that my destination drive is 3.6TB capacity, with
    300GB free space. After backing up the 250GB SSD, I will have a 150GB image file, with 0GB free space remaining)

2) The image when viewed under Explorer, will be labelled as 150GB. Windirstat will see this as 150GB in size. The folder it is backed up into says it is 150GB in size. Hidden files and System files have been enabled and visible. There is no hidden file
    visible to account for this increase in space.

However, Windirstat reports usage correctly. (Windows explorer says Drive has a 150GB file, 0GB free space, 3.6TB used)

(Windirstat reports 150GB image file, 3.45TB usage)

3) This extra, unidentified used space will correct itself when the PC reboots. Upon reboot, the destination drive will show the correct usage. File size appears unchanged. (upon reboot, Windows explorer will read: 150GB file, 150GB free space, 3.45TB used)

4) If I send the image to the recycle bin then delete it, I will get the full free space of my drive back. (windows reads 300GB unused space) If I send the image to the recycle bin without emptying, used space remains at 0GB. If I return the file from the
    recycle bin back to its destination directory, the disk capacity remains wrong. (150GB file, 0GB free. 3.6TB usage)

5) This phenomenon appears to be independent of backup software. It occurs with both Macrium Reflect and EaseusTodo backup.

6) This phenomenon occurs even if the backup program has administrator rights.

7) This phenomenon occurs when backing up EITHER of my SSDs (both primary and secondary). The "falsely claimed" space appears proportional to the image size.

8) I have only tested this on the single internal HDD I have. I do not currently have other internal drives to test this on.

9) This phenomenon does NOT occur when backing up to my USB external hard drive.

10) chkdsk /r has been run on all drives with no errors found.

Any help would be appreciated. I have used this PC with Windows 10 for around 3 months. This is the first time I've used backup software with Windows 10. I have previously backed up Windows 7 on the same machine with the same setups without problems (albeit
    using Windows 7's native backup software)

SSDs are using MBR. Internal HDD uses GPT. All file systems are NTFS.

I'll provide more information if appropriate. Thanks in advance for your help.

BB125, Aug 12, 2015
  4. paulcfc Win User

well I have just found that the culprit is the windows old folder.. if I right click on it , it shows 13.8gb but I have now ran
    a program called windirstat and it show that windows old has 127gb in it... I have tried deleting it but it wont let me!!!
    any ideas on how I delete the folder???

thanks
    paul

paulcfc, Aug 12, 2015
  5. Word Man Win User
    In File Explorer, right click the drive, use the Disk Cleanup Tool and then check the box also for cleaning up system files down at lower left and it will scan again and update the list to include old install files which you can check for removal. Note that I don't believe you can decide to roll back to prior operating system after removing this. That seems like a whole lot of extra GB taken up! Hope you don't have a bigger problem and have a full backup from before Win10 in case it goes sideways.

Word Man, Aug 12, 2015
  6. paulcfc Win User
    hard drive space.. win ten taking up 150gb [​IMG]

it seems the lost drive space is in an unknown folder that I cannot delete... any ideas??

thanks
    paul

paulcfc, Aug 13, 2015
  7. DTG1 Win User
    I'd like to get WinDirStat, but I would prefer a standalone version.

restore points, back ups and whatever else, sometimes get deleted and the leftover data files are left behind, yet still protected that disk cleanup cant fix. This can be fixed by disabling the service and rebooting and you are free to re-enable after. Sometimes CCleaner can fix that too, I know it deletes the windows.old folder.

8. hard drive space.. win ten taking up 150gb

TairikuOkami, Aug 14, 2015
  9. DTG1 Win User
    blindly throwing links to downloads without knowing what it is would be asking for trouble. So I just have to ask the dumb questions here: what is it? a virus? how about linking to the website? how about a description?does it unlock password protected downloads??sorry, not buying.

10. paulcfc Win User
    thanks to everyone for their ideas..

I ran ccleaner as suggested and selected old windows installations in the advanced menu and I now have my missing drive space back, I have no idea why the file was so big, but hey ho al is good now.

thanks
    again

paul

paulcfc, Aug 14, 2015
  11. Clicking on the link provides answers to all your questions.
    If you do not trust people on this forum, why even being here?

12. DTG1 Win User
    Trust? Ha! It's not about trust, its about common sense. *Tongue Anyone with a lick of intelligence would ignore that link as it was presented here. You took the time to respond to me, you could have taken time explain how that link contribute to this thread. Oh yea, I did duck it, not interested in a program that could do more harm than good.

13. hard drive space.. win ten taking up 150gb

If you are so security wise, I am sure you already have all the protection needed like:
    Secure DNS servers, anti-malware browser extensions, URL checker, not to mention AV.
    I can click on any link I want and I have no AV, no firewall, so I do not really think about it.

14. DTG1 Win User
    I have everything I need. *Biggrin

15. I do not know your skills and knowledge. Some forums have cowboys. I have certainly had some inaccurate advice from some who feel they are really knowledgeable (say, in their circle of friends). So I have to check the story from different sources. Like I was asking for street directions in a foreign country!

Here's an example...I am interested in FileHippo (cos someone said it's an easy way to upgrade apps that might have lost function after upgrading to W10).

I looked at that page you linked to, and it also features FileHippo App manager 2 beta....should I download it....or
    >The page graphics look flaky, like from DIY kit, the kind some Malware spreaders use.
    >Just below FileHippo App manager 2 beta, it features Everest 2.2. Which I thought was discontinued. Sure enough, if you examine that, the feature page was created on or before 2006! The software is pre-2007!
    >So, should I download anything?
    >How's the F.H.A.M.2 beta download looking now?
    >Who would make a site like that?

Finally: Given all the above, how reliable are the answers you pointed to?

See how there can be a trust issue? (not about you, but about due diligence)

Eliot Mess, Aug 23, 2015
Thema:

1. hard drive space.. win ten taking up 150gb - Similar Threads - hard drive space

2. Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive: The SSD external harddrive has 4TB space capacity, using around 27gb of space, but there is/are unknown files occupying space. I have tried all possible solutions, deleting folders, show hidden files, etc. I even tried reformat it, however, when I start to transfer files back...
  3. Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive: The SSD external harddrive has 4TB space capacity, using around 27gb of space, but there is/are unknown files occupying space. I have tried all possible solutions, deleting folders, show hidden files, etc. I even tried reformat it, however, when I start to transfer files back...
  4. Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mysterious drive taking up space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mysterious drive taking up space: This myseterious RESTORED: drive appeared out of nowhere, and it's taking a lot of space - ~17gb and the fact that it's empty is so frustrating. I honestly wanna get rid of this ****......
  6. Mysterious drive taking up space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mysterious drive taking up space: This myseterious RESTORED: drive appeared out of nowhere, and it's taking a lot of space - ~17gb and the fact that it's empty is so frustrating. I honestly wanna get rid of this ****......
  7. OneDrive Taking Up Space on My Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Taking Up Space on My Hard Drive: The reason I use OneDrive is to put files in a cloud that doesn't take up hard drive space on my PC. Unfortunately it is. How can I access OneDrive documents from my PC file explorer without it taking up space on my hard drive? Thank you in advance....
  8. OneDrive Taking Up Space on My Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive Taking Up Space on My Hard Drive: The reason I use OneDrive is to put files in a cloud that doesn't take up hard drive space on my PC. Unfortunately it is. How can I access OneDrive documents from my PC file explorer without it taking up space on my hard drive? Thank you in advance....
  9. OneDrive Taking Up Space on My Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Can't find app that's taking up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't find app that's taking up hard drive space: At one point I purchased a game from Steam, which included a beta version. Since I didn't want that, I deleted it (unfortunately not through the Steam client). Now when I use the Storage app to see what files are taking up space on my hard drive, this game is shown as using...