Windows 10: Hard drive unknown, not initialized

Discus and support Hard drive unknown, not initialized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Yesterday while using my computer my secondary drive / storage drive disappeared. I can see it in Disk Management, but I tried to use MiniTool, but it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FUBAR, Jul 4, 2017.

1. FUBAR Win User

Hard drive unknown, not initialized

Yesterday while using my computer my secondary drive / storage drive disappeared. I can see it in Disk Management, but I tried to use MiniTool, but it cannot see the drive. I have attached a screen shot for more info.

Is it KIA or recoverable long enough to save a couple files at least?

Thanks!

:)

FUBAR, Jul 4, 2017

2. WD Elements drive is Unknown, not initialized, unallocated

Download and run HDTune .

HD Tune website

Make screenshots of the following

the health

the error scan

the benchmark

Post back the screenshots.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 4, 2017
  3. WD Elements drive is Unknown, not initialized, unallocated

Tony, don't format the drive.

Try it in another PC until you can find one that displays the files then immediately back them up to the desktop and run a Disk Check.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 4, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Is the secondary drive an External USB? or is it internal?
    This usually happens if there isn't enough power to an External drive, or the drive controller has failed.
    Remove the drive and attach it to another computer via a USB Adapter or Dock or Enclosure with a power adapter. If the drive does not spin up, it has failed.

spunk, Jul 5, 2017
Thema:

1. Hard drive unknown, not initialized - Similar Threads - Hard drive unknown

2. External hard drive shows up as "Unknown" and "Not initialized"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive shows up as "Unknown" and "Not initialized": I have an external hard drive that I mainly use to store games, among other things, and it's been working just fine until now. Whenever I plug it in, I am not able to access any of the files that are on it through File Explorer neither am I able to download things onto the...
  3. External hard drive shows up as "Unknown" and "Not initialized"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive shows up as "Unknown" and "Not initialized": I have an external hard drive that I mainly use to store games, among other things, and it's been working just fine until now. Whenever I plug it in, I am not able to access any of the files that are on it through File Explorer neither am I able to download things onto the...
  4. Initializing a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Initializing a new hard drive: I am trying to initialize a new hard drive. I get "Access Denied" Virtual Disk Manager. What is the solution to this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/initializing-a-new-hard-drive/f29a0ab3-1ab2-4485-9763-e10ee27cd0ca
  5. Hard drive became Not Initialized Unallocated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive became Not Initialized Unallocated: My hard drive of size 1tb was working, but suddenly it was not showing. I opened control panel there it showed the drive. In disk management it was showing my disc was Not Initialized, unallocated, and its size was reduced to 931mb. It should an Initialize Disc tab but when I...
  6. Unable to initialize external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to initialize external hard drive: Hi, I was using an external hard drive on my PS4 however it just randomly stopped working after well over a years use. I plugged it into my PC but i could not see it. When i open disk management and do a disk scan i can then see it appear in the disk management section...
  7. Initialize Hard drive

Initialize Hard drive: Hi all, A friend of mine asked me if I can help him get his laptop back into working order. It is a Samsung model NP740U3L When I turn it on, after about a minute, it tells me: All boot option tried Press F4 for repair After pressing F4 it comes back to the same screen as...
  8. unknown, Not initialize, unallocated external hard disk want to initialize

unknown, Not initialize, unallocated external hard disk want to initialize: I wanted to initialize unknown, unallocated,not initialize external hard disk, but when I go to disk manager and try to initialize the message pop up "Virtual disk manager access denied". Secondly, drive do not have any letter, and I CAN'T to assign letter to drive in...
  9. Not Initializing my hard drive

Not Initializing my hard drive: When I try and initialize my disk it says "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-initializing-my-hard-drive/5709a458-e6ac-40cd-90d4-e8a45ddaa3a6
  10. Trying to initialize a second hard drive

Trying to initialize a second hard drive: I nuked a hardrive I had from before and put it into my PC. My PC sees all the information but when I try to initialize disk I get the error message: Disk Management The opertaion failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the...