Windows 10: Hard drive used space more than doubled...

Discus and support Hard drive used space more than doubled... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Can't figure this out. Have a Tablet 2 in 1 with W10 and 32GB SSD. Have not installed any programs. A few days ago the size of the used space on he... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cottonball, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Hard drive used space more than doubled...

Can't figure this out. Have a Tablet 2 in 1 with W10 and 32GB SSD.

Have not installed any programs. A few days ago the size of the used space on he drive was 7.8 now, it is 16.6GB.

Any clues?

:)

cottonball, Sep 13, 2016
  2. Ewarb Win User

C drive shows more space used than actually it

I know this has been asked before, and the replies were to delete system restore points and reduce/move pagefile. I have done the first and left the pagefile (8gb) as it is as I have 8 gb ram.

I am about 30gb short on my C drive, it's showing this much more used than is the sum of all folders (including hidden) on C drive. Any ideas why? Here's my chkdsk report if that's of use - I've no idea how to interpret it.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is Windows.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.

Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

396288 file records processed.

File verification completed.

20206 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

487252 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

Security descriptor verification completed.

45483 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

35611904 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

No further action is required.

123748699 KB total disk space.

93516332 KB in 202994 files.

126412 KB in 45484 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

508887 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

29597068 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

30937174 total allocation units on disk.

7399267 allocation units available on disk.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Ewarb, Sep 13, 2016
  3. 'RickT Win User
    C drive shows more space used than actually it

"NTFS reserves 12.5 percent of the volume for exclusive use of the MFT until and unless the remainder of the volume is completely used up." - KB174619

So you have a 200-300GB partition ? That would be where your 30GB went - indexing space.

'RickT, Sep 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hard drive used space more than doubled...

An update of some kind?
    Try Windirstat (free) to see how your disk space is used.

dalchina, Sep 13, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    What are the system restore settings, how large do you allow a restore point to be?

axe0, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Hard drive used space more than doubled...

1. Hard drive used space more than doubled... - Similar Threads - Hard drive used

2. While copying, showing insufficient space, but the drive has more than double free.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    While copying, showing insufficient space, but the drive has more than double free.: Hello,The setup is Windows Server 2022. I am trying to copy a folder from a Drive E: to another drive D:. But it says insufficient space. However there is more than double space available. Can anyone please help me understand this weird behaviour?Drive E:Folder:Drive D: Space...
  3. While copying, showing insufficient space, but the drive has more than double free.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    While copying, showing insufficient space, but the drive has more than double free.: Hello,The setup is Windows Server 2022. I am trying to copy a folder from a Drive E: to another drive D:. But it says insufficient space. However there is more than double space available. Can anyone please help me understand this weird behaviour?Drive E:Folder:Drive D: Space...
  4. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used: Hi, i have a 256GB D: drive, and it shows only 22 GB remaining. However, upon use of windirstat, or simply selecting all the folders from the root and clicking properties. The actual used space is less than what is reported in the drive itself. For example:Going to properties...
  5. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used: Hi, i have a 256GB D: drive, and it shows only 22 GB remaining. However, upon use of windirstat, or simply selecting all the folders from the root and clicking properties. The actual used space is less than what is reported in the drive itself. For example:Going to properties...
  6. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

7. Used space of drive is more than actual usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used space of drive is more than actual usage: I am facing the low free space of my C drive, But I can't find what actually consumes the free space. All tools I used to stat the space report me that there is only 51G used but the drive properties says that I have used 95G space.I have disable the system restore, page file...
  8. Used space of drive is more than actual usage

Used space of drive is more than actual usage: I am facing the low free space of my C drive, But I can't find what actually consumes the free space. All tools I used to stat the space report me that there is only 51G used but the drive properties says that I have used 95G space.I have disable the system restore, page file...
  9. Used space of drive is more than actual usage

10. Hard drive uses up more space than normal when downloading or installing a program

Hard drive uses up more space than normal when downloading or installing a program: Hi there, a few months back I started having a very strange issue regarding hard drive space on my 1TB WD Blue HDD, one that I have yet to find a similar post about anywhere on support forums. Whenever I'm downloading anything P2P, games/updates, large ZIPs, anything...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. used disk space doubled

2. kb174619