Windows 10: Hard drives never goes to sleep

Discus and support Hard drives never goes to sleep in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Bonjour, I am having an issue with a "fresh" Windows 10 installation. I emphasis "fresh" because it ain't so fresh anymore but has been reinstalled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Warluck, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Warluck Win User

Hard drives never goes to sleep

Bonjour,
    I am having an issue with a "fresh" Windows 10 installation. I emphasis "fresh" because it ain't so fresh anymore but has been reinstalled and the problem was not present on my last installation.

I currently have 4 standard HDD (3x green, 1x black) and 1 SSD where Windows is installed.

The problem I have is even though there are absolutely no activity on the hard drives, they never goes to sleep. I have disabled Windows Search service (still, I was using it on my last installation with no problem with sleep).

I don't know what to do to fix this but I really want the hard drives to sleep when unused for many obvious reasons.

Is there a way to force the sleep or find what is preventing Windows from putting them to sleep?

Thanks all for your help and support on this.

:)

Warluck, Oct 12, 2016

2. Windows 10 computer shutting down

Hi Jennifer Bri, thanks for the response. As a first step I tried Troubleshooting.... and got the msg ...time before hard disc goes to sleep is too long....fixed. I don't know what it was set at before this. So right now ....monitor is at 10 min sleep
    / computer is at 30 min sleep / and troubleshooting reset hard drive to sleep at 20 min. Just got off the phone with Dell support and they reset hard drive to o minutes / never. Will stop there and see what happens. May take a few days. Thanks for your feedback

mik-dav 1500, Oct 12, 2016
  3. TomHaws Win User
    Windows 10 sleeps without permission. Cannot turn off sleep. Can't control sleep.

My computer goes to sleep regularly after about 15 minutes of idle time even though I have set my power options to:

Dim Display On Battery: Never

Dim Display Plugged In: Never

Sleep On Battery: Never

Sleep Plugged In: Never

Advanced

Hard Disk Off On Battery: Never

Hard Disk Off Plugged In: Never

What am I missing?

Tom

TomHaws, Oct 12, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

I'm only familiar with Windows 7 Pro, so I'm guessing here.
    Although you could via Control Panel --> Device Manager --> hard-drives section -- disable just prior to Windows session's end and re-enable at each Windows session's beginning -- that would not be a good solution long-term. Perhaps some of your security and/or monitoring programs are too assertively set? Perhaps Windows backup process is never resting, always working?

RolandJS, Oct 12, 2016
  5. Warluck Win User
    Thanks for the answer. I have started disabling soft to find the one causing issue.

Warluck, Oct 13, 2016
  6. kimkl Win User
    No need for all that, right click the "old start button select power options Plan is properly Balanced
    click change plan settings
    Click change advanced power settings
    Hard disk is right at the top properly set to 0 or 20
    Because mine was when i wrote this somehow it was set to 0 meaning no sleep ofc for SSD HD you really do not want it to sleep because it shortens the SSD HD lifetime my reply to that B. hmm better keep this clean well i keep mine at 10 mins so change it to what ever you feel is best
    AND turn back those services you disabled or not *Biggrin

kimkl, Oct 14, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Oct 15, 2016
  8. Adalwar Win User

look also if Windows Disk Defragment / Optimize is "working". Try to disable that "feature".

Adalwar, Oct 15, 2016
  9. Catizero Win User
    Im having this exactly same problem. I tried to disable optimize and indexing, sleep is set to 1 min to test but it never goes.

I have been searching on google for a while and seems a common problem but havent found a solution yet.

Catizero, Oct 15, 2016
  10. Warluck Win User
    Me neither and I have disabled almost all my services ... keep searching!

Warluck, Oct 16, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    As noted above for some any RST Driver in the 14 or 15 series does not spin down properly

Try Version 13.6.0.1002 - spindown is reported as OK with them.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...?product=55005

I am using 12.9.4.1000 , they are working too AND report my Raid array as HDD's not SSD's.

KB.

Kbird, Oct 16, 2016
  12. Catizero Win User
    I tried the driver you posted but it doesnt work for me either, and when trying to uninstall it always says "needs first to restart" tho I restarted a lot of times. I tried killing the services of RTS but it doesnt spin down either.

I went to the device manager and switched the SATA AHCI driver for the default windows one but it doesnt work. Was this the device related or was another one?

EDIT: OMG it went to sleep right now!!! I have it set for 1 min but it took like 5 for some reason. What I did is to uninstall manually the RST that I tried and, as said, using the windows default one. In my case I just have 1 HDD.

Im not sure if the drivers you posted would have worked cause I didnt wait 5 min...

Catizero, Oct 16, 2016
  13. Catizero Win User

I confirm that the version 13.6.0.1002 spins down the HDD. The only weird problem for me with this driver and the Windows default one is that it takes more minutes that it is configured. I have it in 1 yet it takes 5 or more. Note that this is just for testing, usually I have it in 3 minutes.

Catizero, Oct 17, 2016
  14. Warluck Win User
    I also can confirm that removing version 14.8.0.1042 for the Standard AHCI SATA Controller and my drives are now going to sleep as they should.

Now, I would like to install the latest working version of the Intel drivers but quite honestly, I am puzzled by which one (contained in the 13.6.0.1002)

Intel 8 series Chipset
    Itel 8 Series/C220 Chipset or
    Intel 9 Series Chipset

The original driver was Intel 100 Series/C230 Chipset

Any idea?

Warluck, Oct 17, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    the actual driver file is the same for all of them, you can download the Floppy install Drivers from the link above and Unzip in a folder and look to see what is installed, there are only 2 .sys files , both are installed ....., iaStorA is the driver and iaStorF is the scsi Filter driver you can also open the .iaAHCIC.inf (notepad) and see the names etc too.

KB.

Kbird, Oct 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Hard drives never goes to sleep - Similar Threads - Hard drives never

2. External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11: I have a 5 GB Lacie External Hard Drive from Seagate, connected via a USB cable. The issue is that when I am browsing folders or playing music from the hard drive, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the light on the drive to start flashing and for the files to open or appear....
  3. External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive goes to sleep on Windows 11: I have a 5 GB Lacie External Hard Drive from Seagate, connected via a USB cable. The issue is that when I am browsing folders or playing music from the hard drive, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the light on the drive to start flashing and for the files to open or appear....
  4. Displayport monitor never goes to sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Displayport monitor never goes to sleep.: Hey,I recently updated to Windows 11, and I have the weirdest glitch since.I have 2 monitors, connected to a Nvidia 2060, one on DVI 1080p@60Hz, another one on DisplayPort 1080p@144Hz/HDR/GSync.All sleep modes on windows are disable, except the Screen timeout, which should...
  5. Displayport monitor never goes to sleep.

Displayport monitor never goes to sleep.: Hey,I recently updated to Windows 11, and I have the weirdest glitch since.I have 2 monitors, connected to a Nvidia 2060, one on DVI 1080p@60Hz, another one on DisplayPort 1080p@144Hz/HDR/GSync.All sleep modes on windows are disable, except the Screen timeout, which should...
  6. Windows 11: Display goes to sleep when it is set to never

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: Display goes to sleep when it is set to never: I have tried changing the power settings and restarting them to default. I have tried restarting the pc while changing the power settings as suggested, but still haven't reached or found a solution. Please help......
  7. Windows 11: Display goes to sleep when it is set to never

Windows 11: Display goes to sleep when it is set to never: I have tried changing the power settings and restarting them to default. I have tried restarting the pc while changing the power settings as suggested, but still haven't reached or found a solution. Please help......
  8. All External Drives Never Sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All External Drives Never Sleep: Happy Holidays everyone. :) For some time now I have been experiencing the problem that no external HDD sleeps and I must simply keep them unplugged until needed. Nothing I do in Power Options works. Last week I allowed my system to install all available Windows Updates, and...
  9. Windows 10 never goes to sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 never goes to sleep mode: Hi, I have a strange power settings problem with my Win 10. 1. If I set the time to sleep to anything except non "never", it goes to sleep mode after 2 mins if unattended, no matter if I have anything running in the background. 2. If I specify "System unattended sleep...
  10. Hard Drive goes to Sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive goes to Sleep: I have an HP Pavilion desktop pc (model no 500-120ea) running Windows 10. After a few minutes of not requiring access the built in hard drive (C drive) appears to go sleep. The reason I say that is that if I suddenly need access e.g.. to open or save a file I hear the hard...