Windows 10: Hard Drives: What's a "Frozen state"?

Discus and support Hard Drives: What's a "Frozen state"? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running into problems with one of my HD (Toshiba N300 4TB). It hangs and freezes for 5 minutes a lot per hour so I'm getting hundreds of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PODxt, Jan 14, 2018.

1. PODxt Win User

Hard Drives: What's a "Frozen state"?

I'm running into problems with one of my HD (Toshiba N300 4TB). It hangs and freezes for 5 minutes a lot per hour so I'm getting hundreds of the following warning entries in the Event Viewer:
    Source: Disk
    Event ID: 153
    The IO operation at logical block address 0x18c6c6a8 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\0000002c) was retried.

Source: storahci
    Event ID: 129
    Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

I ran the Toshiba Storage Diagnostic Tool and it detects the drive as "Frozen". I have no clue what this means, nothing is explained in the tool manual. A Google search gives me result for password protected HD or something which is not the case of my HD.

Do you have any idea what this means?

Hard Drives: What's a "Frozen state"? [​IMG]

I really don't know how to solve this freezes issue, if you have a suggestion, I'd be happy to look into it!

:)

PODxt, Jan 14, 2018

2. Frozen restart screen

Hard to do what you say to do when everything is frozen! No mouse or keyboard to get past "choose your keyboard layout"

mortgageman4, Jan 14, 2018
  3. NickAmato Win User
    Windows 10 Preparing Automatic System Repair

Hello guys,

Recently I was attempting to load something that required modifying a certain DLL on my computer. After 3 BSOD's trying to figure the application out, my computer entered "automatic repair" mode. Every time it loads up, I just get a frozen black screen after
    "preparing automatic system repair".

I have an SSD which windows is installed on, and a hard drive where all of my games and videos are on.

I've tried the following:

-attempted to reinstall windows on my SSD:

Every time I do this, I get a frozen purple screen when the disk loads up

-Unplugged my hard drive and attempted to boot windows

Black screen that says: please restart and arrange boot order (SSD is being loaded)

-Unplugged my hard drive and inserted my install disk into my optical drive in attempt to reinstall windows

Frozen black screen instead of purple

What can I do?????

NickAmato, Jan 14, 2018
  4. Hard Drives: What's a "Frozen state"?

Josey Wales, Jan 14, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Your Google search is correct. The Security State being 'Frozen' just means that you cannot change the security state, such as setting a password if you wanted to. It has nothing to do with the 'hangs' you may be experiencing.

http://www.admin-magazine.com/Archiv...disks-and-SSDs

6. Samuria Win User
    Is there a reason you have it on raid port?

Samuria, Jan 14, 2018
  7. PODxt Win User
    Thanks for clarifying this Frozen state.

@Samuria there's absolutely no reason for the RAID port. On my P8P67, I have 6 SATA ports. 2 of the INTEL ports are faulty "by design" if I could say (see: Intel's Sandy Bridge chipset flaw: The fallout - CNET ) so I'm using only the 2 working INTEL SATA ports (Samsung SSD + DVDRW Drive) and the 2 MARVELL ports (2TB Seagate + 4TB Toshiba). I'm not sure these ports actually have sth to do with RAID, I don't know how RAID is working, I'm not using it.

PODxt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Hard Drives: What's a "Frozen state"?

1. Hard Drives: What's a "Frozen state"? - Similar Threads - Hard Drives What's

2. Upgrading Windows 10 from hard drive to a solid state drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 10 from hard drive to a solid state drive.: I recently purchased a new laptop with windows 10 operating system, but in that laptop Windows is installed in hard drive and because of that the overall performance of the system is very poor. So I decided to upgrade windows from hard drive to a solid state drive SSD.So what...
  3. Hard Drive Space, Solid State

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive Space, Solid State: Hello everyone. The unused space on my 128 GB solid state drive has dropped to 15.2 GB from the approximately 50 GB it had about 2 months ago. I have not done anything to the hard drive to use up any significant space. About 6 months after I purchased this laptop the unused...
  4. solid state and hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    solid state and hard drives: I have a HP Laptop 17-by3065st,os is windows 10. I have both a ssd and hdd my ssd is low on free space my hdd 1TB has plenty. is there a way to have the HDD drive D: be the primary and keep the SSD drive C: just for windows os? Thanx in advance Jim...
  5. New hard drive, what now?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New hard drive, what now?: How do I install Windows 10 onto a new hard drive I got? My last one died so I bought a new one. Do I really need to buy a copy of Windows 10 for like $120 or is there an easier way?? I've heard of the Windows 7/Windows 8 free update but I don't know how to get those...
  6. What happened to my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What happened to my hard drive?: [ATTACH] My hard drive disappeared. It says it is online, but unallocated. What does that mean? These are the options when I right click What can I do to fix this? Is my data gone? submitted by /u/ObberGobb [link] [comments]...
  7. Moving windows from a hard drive to a solid state drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving windows from a hard drive to a solid state drive: i have windows 10 installed on my 1tb western digital blue hdd right now it. My computer came with windows 10 pre installed and id like to move it from the hard drive it originally came on to a solid state drive i bought recently but from what ive gathered on apparently for...
  8. Whats happened to my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Whats happened to my hard drive?: I have two disks, one 256gb SSD which my OS was installed on. The other is a 1tb HDD that had all my data on. I just "refreshed" windows using the delete all option. When asked, I selected only erase the disk containing my OS Now the reinstall is done, my HDD seems to be...
  9. Hard drive is full, but of what?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive is full, but of what?: I just reinstalled Windows 10 a week ago, because I was having all kinds of problems with a black screen. Maybe some of you read my post about my old boot disk coming up blank. But now I have the opposite problem: when I installed Windows 7 the second time, I used a different...
  10. What is the Best Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 News
    What is the Best Hard Drive?: It was one year ago that I first blogged about the failure rates of specific models of hard drives, so now is a good time for an update. At Backblaze, as of December 31, 2014, we had 41,213 disk drives spinning in our data center, storing all of the data for our unlimited...