Windows 10: Hard Freeze's that seem random

Discus and support Hard Freeze's that seem random in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, For a little while now I have had trouble with my computer locking up randomly, this usually occurs while I am watching a video of some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Tasselhoff356, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Hard Freeze's that seem random

Hi there,

For a little while now I have had trouble with my computer locking up randomly, this usually occurs while I am watching a video of some sort or playing a video game. But I have also come back to it being on with nothing running only to find it has locked up again. These lock up require that I hard reset the computer in order to un-freeze it. I have tried several debugging techniques such as Running Memtest86+ for 18 hours even though the ram I have is relatively new. I have also tried wiping both of my hard drives, the SSD and 1TB slave drive, then clean installing windows 10. At this point I am just not sure what it could be and would appreciate any help or friendly advice. Thank you.

:)

Tasselhoff356, Sep 1, 2016
  2. Ramon Imp Win User

Custom PC experiencing random crashes that seem to only affect the display

Since you're able to identify that the problem is with your graphics card. We suggest that you reach out to your

device manufacturer
    concerning the issue.

Regards.

Ramon Imp, Sep 1, 2016
  3. Custom PC experiencing random crashes that seem to only affect the display

This has happened ever since I assembled my computer and I have reinstalled Windows times before, but I haven't tried Safe Mode.

chocolatekatana, Sep 1, 2016
  4. Hard Freeze's that seem random

Have I posted anything incorrectly? If so let me know.

Tasselhoff356, Sep 2, 2016
  5. mbcc Win User
    Hi,

1. Try and upgrade your GPU Driver for GTX970 Drivers | GeForce
    Test your PC.

2. Check that your mouse and keyboard or any other USB device is not plugged in USB 3 connector. Connect them to USB 2 connectors and test your PC.

mbcc, Sep 2, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Hi Tasselhof356,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

That your memory is relavily new is no reason to not test *Wink

The problem is that we're usually dealing with BSOD crashes and no other crashes unless they are related or come in while troubleshooting BSODs. Crashes as system freezes, system shutdowns or restarts aren't as 'easy' to troubleshoot because they often do not provide useful information in the event logs.

Please make sure your SSD uses the latest firmware

Please run CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID, open it and make screenshots of the following tabs
    • CPU
    • Mainboard
    • Memory
    • SPD*
    • Graphics
    *SPD shows the details of each stick, you can show the details by choosing different slots in the left upper corner.
    Please make screenshots of each stick.

Please post each screenshot in your next reply/replies.

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling and other used stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor, case, etc.
    The PSU, cooling and other stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.How to fill in your system specs:

Hard Freeze's that seem random [​IMG]

axe0, Sep 2, 2016
  7. Hey there,

Thanks for the reply! I filled in my system specs with all the possible information I could and I am attaching all of those screenshots in this post. Also, when looking of firmware updates for my SSD I came across this website: 64GB 2.5-inch SSD 830 Series | Samsung Memory Storage but it seems non of these updates cover Windows 10 and am wondering if I should still download any of them. Again thank you for the help even though this is the wrong thread.

Tasselhoff356, Sep 5, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Hard Freeze's that seem random

axe0, Sep 5, 2016
  9. So it looks like the firmware is up to date but I'm going to post some images of the Samsung Magician tool just in case.

10. axe0 New Member
    Did any freeze occur before you installed any software?

11. Not like this no, also I have noticed that the freezing happens far more frequently when watching videos. For example, anything on Youtube or Crunchyroll will usually freeze over and over again even after multiple restarts.

12. axe0 New Member
    Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please follow this tutorial to run driver verifier.

Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

13. Hard Freeze's that seem random

I'll start running that soon, also it seems that this is happening only in Chrome as I am able to watch videos or shows using Internet Explorer without it freezing up.

14. Though that still doesn't explain why my computer will Freeze while playing video games at random intervals or that sometimes when I come back to my log on screen after being away for a while it could be frozen as well.

15. electronuser, Sep 6, 2016
Thema:

Hard Freeze's that seem random

1. Hard Freeze's that seem random - Similar Threads - Hard Freeze's seem

2. PC will freeze then restart seemingly at random

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC will freeze then restart seemingly at random: Hi all, for the longest time my PC has been shutting down on me when I was closing video games\while playing them exclusively, but now it's been happening to me even when performing the simplest of tasks like browsing the web or drawing. It's been driving me insane and I've...
  3. PC will freeze then restart seemingly at random

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC will freeze then restart seemingly at random: Hi all, for the longest time my PC has been shutting down on me when I was closing video games\while playing them exclusively, but now it's been happening to me even when performing the simplest of tasks like browsing the web or drawing. It's been driving me insane and I've...
  4. PC will freeze then restart seemingly at random

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop freezes completely seemingly randomly,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop freezes completely seemingly randomly,: I've had this asus laptop for a while but recently it's started freezing completely forcing me to restart it, it also happens consistently while it's booting after freezing, it sometimes doesn't happen for a while, and sometimes happens every time I try to boot in windows,...
  6. Laptop freezes completely seemingly randomly,

Laptop freezes completely seemingly randomly,: I've had this asus laptop for a while but recently it's started freezing completely forcing me to restart it, it also happens consistently while it's booting after freezing, it sometimes doesn't happen for a while, and sometimes happens every time I try to boot in windows,...
  7. Taskbar Freezes, Unresponsive, Seemingly Random

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Freezes, Unresponsive, Seemingly Random: Basically what the title says. The taskbar becomes unresponsive at random times. Can't click anything. The temporary solution I know of is going into Task Manager and restarting Windows Explorer. It doesn't solve the problem, however. I've only had this computer Lenovo Legion...
  8. Taskbar Freezes, Unresponsive, Seemingly Random

Taskbar Freezes, Unresponsive, Seemingly Random: Basically what the title says. The taskbar becomes unresponsive at random times. Can't click anything. The temporary solution I know of is going into Task Manager and restarting Windows Explorer. It doesn't solve the problem, however. I've only had this computer Lenovo Legion...
  9. Videos Seemingly Randomly Freeze

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Videos Seemingly Randomly Freeze: Sometimes when I'm watching a YouTube video, the video will just freeze along with the audio. When this happens, videos played on other platforms (like embedded in Discord) also do not work. My only solution right now is to restart the windows audio service or to do a...
  10. seemingly random freezing of computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    seemingly random freezing of computer: Any help with how to access the log files that might indicate why the computer is freezing It is a brand new install of Windows 10 on a SSD drive, ive tried to update all the drivers and bios... tried some of the usual chkdsk, repair, memory check etc... everything seems to...