Windows 10: Hard link directory junctions in User folder

Discus and support Hard link directory junctions in User folder in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by NavyLCDR, Mar 14, 2017.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Hard link directory junctions in User folder

So, I am looking for an easy way to redirect Documents, Downloads, Music and Pictures in the user folder to a data drive. I don't want anything permanent that is going to interfere with the Creator's update coming up. Does anyone know if there any ill affects to deleting the empty Documents folder under the user folder and creating a hard link directory junction to Documents on the data drive? I would run:

RD /S C:\Users\John\Documents
    MKLINK /J C:\Users\John\Documents D:\Documents

I tried it on a temp account on my computer and it seemed to work with no issues. Thanks!

:)

NavyLCDR, Mar 14, 2017
  2. LBXZero Win User

Will there be installation problems with PCs that use directory junctions to relocate the Users folder?

In my computer's setup, the C drive is a 240GB SSD and the D drive is a 2 TB HDD. Due to previous bad experiences relocating the bulky Users folders from the C drive to the D drive through the "Location" tab in select folders, I use the directory junction
    link method of relocating the Users folder to the appropriate drive.

With the User folder on the C drive being a junction link to the User folder on the D drive, will there be problems upgrading either Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10?

Further, is there an actual working option that doesn't break and cause other wild problems, the location tab in specific User folder properties for example, in Windows 10 to properly relocate the Users folder to a secondary drive?

LBXZero, Mar 14, 2017
  3. Application Data in User folder

Application Data is a junction for backwards compatibility, not a real directory.

At a Command Prompt in your User Folder, dir /al will show you all the junctions. They don't take up space, merely point elsewhere.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Mar 14, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

That should be OK, quite risk free.

BTW, this is a perfect method: Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10

It moves the complete Users folder away from C: drive, all existing user profiles will be moved to X:\Users (X: being just an example), all future user profiles you create will be automatically created in X:\Users. Everything, AppData, Temp, every single user folder.

It works perfectly, no issues with Windows Update or build / feature upgrades. For instance I've just upgraded to build 15058 having my Users folder relocated on E: drive. My C: drive has no traces of any user data or Users folder, everything related to user profiles being on E: drive:

Hard link directory junctions in User folder [​IMG]

5. SoFine409 Win User
    Why couldn't you just use the location tab in properties for each of those folders? When you want to return them to the original location just go back to the location tab and click restore to default location. The system recreates the original folder and offers to copy the contact for you. I did that yesterday and it worked perfectly. You do have to delete the empty folder from which your files are restored from but thats not a big deal.

SoFine409, Mar 14, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm never going to want to move the files themselves from the data drive.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hard link directory junctions in User folder - Similar Threads - Hard link directory

2. How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...: How do I mass delete symbolic links in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?...
  3. How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the...: How do I mass delete symbolic links in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?How do I mass delete symbolic links or directory junctions in a folder without deleting the folder itself, or any other file or folder?...
  4. Junctions/Hard Link over network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Junctions/Hard Link over network drive: Is there anyways I can trick applications into viewing a remote drive (or folder) as a local one? So I fully understand that making a junction or a hard link over a network drive to a local drive isn’t supported, and that I would need to use a symbolic link. However, I’m a...
  5. Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?

Is it safe to create a junction link to my Users folder?: I'm running out of space on my C: drive but have a ton of space on my D: drive. Is it safe or even possible to move my Users folder to my D: drive and create a junction link to my C: drive? submitted by /u/Itch_X [link] [comments]...
  6. Weird User Folder in Users Directory

Weird User Folder in Users Directory: I have noticed that in my Users directory that the folder name for one of my users is "DESKTOP.7MODD72". Anyone have any experience with this happening? If so, what caused it? Windows 10 - Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763 submitted by /u/e-_-v [link] [comments]...
  7. KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4512508 deletes user made junctions and symbolic links: My system was normal today when I booted it up. but after KB4512508 installed it self, before even rebooting the system, all my symbolic links and junctions got deleted. the did not get broken, they got deleted. the endpoint for the junction no longer exist. and the desktop...
  8. Using/understanding junctions and links

in Windows 10 Support
    Using/understanding junctions and links: My question is about understanding what a junction or link means. Short version first, longer second. This link: [img] Properties indicates "backup" is a folder is on the C: drive and is 156 GB (C: is a 110 GB SSD). [img] The properties for the files show the C:...
  9. junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders

in Windows 10 Support
    junction point/symbolic link query : multiple DOCUMENTS folders: hi my documents folder is on e: as c: is a ssd with limited space. somehow i managed to end up with three 'documents' folders in explorer [actually dopus] of which two contain a few folders and the third one many folders, the latter is my real documents folder. the os will...
  10. Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

in Windows 10 Support
    Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?: Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose. Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage... An application (Xperia...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. make user directory folders into directory junctions

2. hard link for users folder windows