Windows 10: Hard Locks and BSODs on boot (with no dumps)

Discus and support Hard Locks and BSODs on boot (with no dumps) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Evening all, It's been a while since I've posted in any of these forums so bear with me. We have a Dell XPS 13 9360 running Windows 10 that does one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jl4, Aug 19, 2018.

1. JL4
    jl4 Win User

Hard Locks and BSODs on boot (with no dumps)

Evening all,

It's been a while since I've posted in any of these forums so bear with me. We have a Dell XPS 13 9360 running Windows 10 that does one of these two things at least once a week:

- Boot fine, operate for a while, then hard lock. No BSOD ever displayed and no restart.
    - Boot to BSOD, stuck at 0%, no dump file ever created.

What make this hard to diagnose is that a BSOD file is never created, no matter which type I set it to generate. When the screen does appear, it'll hang on 0% for what seems like hours before I give up and reboot it.

I've spoken with Dell and in the past we'd get more frequent BSODs. They poked at it and thanks to my help sharing some log data, they replaced the SSD. Once it came back, things were great for a couple weeks, then issues started cropping up again.

These hard locks are a pain, especially. They can occur several times in an evening, then not again for a couple weeks, or it could be every night. Most activities from around the events are Internet related, but even that's not a sure thing. I had it hard lock just trying to open the Start menu after boot.

We've updated all the drivers, run all the needed OS updates, hell, even reinstalled a couple times. No effect. I'm at a loss and almost at the point where I'm taking my USB debug cable back from when I did this kind of stuff for a living and trying to catch something that way. The log data is proving to be much less useful, mainly because nothing of incredible value is being written on either occasion.

This thing is less than 2 years old and we have an identical unit in another color that works flawlessly.

Help?DESKTOP-VH0EF6G-Sun_08_19_2018_180015_14.zip

:)

2. axe0 Win User

BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD, Dump File attached

Hi Groggubus,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

Please remove / disable items from the startup in taskmanager
    These programs could interfere with the boot process giving you trouble and increase the boot time.

Daemon tools, Alcohol 120% and Power Archiver Pro uses SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD), which is a well known cause for BSOD's.
    Please remove Daemon Tools and run the SPTD pass through remover.

• Uninstall Daemon Tools
    • Download the SPTD standalone installer and follow these steps:
      • Double click the executable to open it
      • Click on the button shown below

Hard Locks and BSODs on boot (with no dumps) [​IMG]

If the button is grayed out, like in the image, there is no more SPTD installation on your system, and you can close the window

Please follow this suggestion for the BSOD
    • Please open BitDefender and go to the modules,
    • Go to the firewall settings,
    • Uncheck 'Block port scans in the network',
    • Reboot your system <-- IMPORTANT

3. ughhh! BSOD on boot

I guess my computer BSOD on boot right before getting to windows. not sure what the problem is though, everything is stable.

It gave me a list of two files in windows that could have caused the problems

MxPhenom 216, Aug 19, 2018
  4. Hard Locks and BSODs on boot (with no dumps)

little cat, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

Hard Locks and BSODs on boot (with no dumps)

1. Hard Locks and BSODs on boot (with no dumps) - Similar Threads - Hard Locks BSODs

2. BSOD / Memory Dump

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD / Memory Dump: The issue is:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 50Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except.Typically the address is just plain bad or it is pointing at freed memory.I have been having on and off crashing with this error as well...
  3. BSOD dump files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD dump files: Hi - if someone could help me analyze these files to figure out why I keep getting a BSOD reference by pointer error message in Windows 10 I'd appreciate it!https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao3bfbYL13ljhwe1mgnjgycogs1R?e=oWYfrx...
  4. BSOD dump files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD dump files: Hi - if someone could help me analyze these files to figure out why I keep getting a BSOD reference by pointer error message in Windows 10 I'd appreciate it!https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao3bfbYL13ljhwe1mgnjgycogs1R?e=oWYfrx...
  5. BSODs Dumps

BSODs Dumps: Lately i've been experiencing a lot of BSODs usually while gaming, i've stumbled upon a thread of people with similar issues, but none of the fixes there solved my issue. But i've never asked someone to check my dump files, so if anyone would be able to help, it would be...
  6. System Locks up before rebooting No BSOD, No crash dump

System Locks up before rebooting No BSOD, No crash dump: I am trying to diagnose this issue I've been having the past few weeks, it happens randomly. I've not had a crash in weeks yet today I had two. My PC will lock up before rebooting itself it does not BSOD nor does it create a crash dump. I made sure my computer was set to...
  7. PC hard locking, no BSOD

in Windows 10 Support
    PC hard locking, no BSOD: Last night my PC kept hard locking after 3-4 hours of gaming. It's the first night this has begun happening... I am looking through the event viewer and I'm not seeing many red flags leading up to this. My laptop is a Lenovo l340 gaming. Can anyone help? *Sad 154106
  8. Fast Boot without lock hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Boot without lock hard drive: Can someone tell me how to make Fast Boot enabled on dual boot machine, with selection to not lock hard drive, since I would like to make it possible to have screen with dual boot options on every start up. Now, If I select Fast Boot enabled, it locks hard drive and there is...
  9. Random hard locks no BSOD

Random hard locks no BSOD: about 7 days ago my computer began to start freezing up with no common denominator (Gaming, no gaming, browsing, no browsing, watching media, no media, etc) I got frustrated so I tried to disable some drivers and that sent me into a BSOD on boot INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE so I...
  10. BSOD, no dump created

BSOD, no dump created: Ok, so this is weird. My laptop was working fine after the excellent help I got on the other BSOD, but now it bluescreens at startup and just barely flickers the error message before rebooting. Even worse is that it doesn't write any dumps :shocked: This started happening...