Windows 10: Hardware Acceleration and Background Apps.

Discus and support Hardware Acceleration and Background Apps. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was going through some of the settings on my new laptop and I was clicking through Google Chrome. Under settings, Advanced Settings,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RaymondWindoz10, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Hardware Acceleration and Background Apps.

I was going through some of the settings on my new laptop and I was clicking through Google Chrome.

Under settings, Advanced Settings, System.........

It has two boxes.

Continue running background apps

and

Use hardware acceleration.

What is the benefit of running background apps if I am not using them........I guess it would be easier to start them if they were running in the background but I wonder what others do ?

I explored hardware acceleration online and the two sites I found suggested unclicking it and not using it.

What do you do ?

I don't have a problem with storage capacity or anything technical. I just use it for surfing the net and email.

I have a 2015 HP laptop with 4GB Ram and 500 GB HD with W10.

Thanks.

*Smile

:)

RaymondWindoz10, Sep 2, 2015
  2. kpacu Win User

Windows 10 Home Version 1703 Issue

Under System:

Disable Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed.

Disable hardware acceleration.

That was the solution that finally worked for me.

kpacu, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Tunabel Win User
    Google Chrome freezing and crashing due to the creators update

I don't know if this can help but I turned off all the options in the Advanced settings, including prediction service, background app running, hardware acceleration...

Please try it , and also chrome canary (the beta version) to see if things get better.

Good luck!

Tunabel, Sep 2, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Hardware Acceleration and Background Apps.

Hardware acceleration should be left enabled if aren't having any problems with it. It uses the power of r GPU to improve browser performance. might have problems with older GPUs if it is enabled which is why there is an option to disable it, but usually do not have to touch this option.

The background apps option basically allows Google Chrome extensions to run in the background, as the name suggests. This isn't necessary if the extensions have are only functional when the browser is running, for example Adblock which blocks advertisements. If the browser isn't running, there are no ads to block and therefore this feature would be useless in that case.

However, if have an extension that alerts about new emails or Facebook messages and want to be alerted by it even if the browser is closed, can enable that option. It eliminates the need to download a separate program onto r computer in order for to receive alerts and whatnot.

5. Thanks, I guess I'll leave it the way it is.

It seems like every time I try searching around my computer I find a new link to hit and discover something new or something I never paid attention to before.

I appreciate the time it took for you to reply !

RaymondWindoz10, Sep 3, 2015
  6. YOU
    You Win User
    are welcome!

7. hiphopper Win User
    I've been using and building PCs for 25 years and still run into new settings. And occasionally old ones I'd forgotten.
    Hardware Acceleration and  Background Apps. [​IMG]

hiphopper, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Hardware Acceleration and Background Apps.

1. Hardware Acceleration and Background Apps. - Similar Threads - Hardware Acceleration Background

2. Hardware acceleration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware acceleration: Is there a way to disable 'graphics acceleration' on a device that does not support disabling graphics acceleration? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hardware-acceleration/959ef308-0468-468e-b94e-c5b89cde64c4
  3. Hardware acceleration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware acceleration: Is there a way to disable 'graphics acceleration' on a device that does not support disabling graphics acceleration? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hardware-acceleration/959ef308-0468-468e-b94e-c5b89cde64c4
  4. Hardware acceleration

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hardware acceleration: Hi There . How do I enable Hardware acceleration? I am getting this message : '' Hardware acceleration is unsupported or has been disabled on your graphics card.'' Thanks...
  5. accelerate hardware?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    accelerate hardware?: I am unable to finish any instructions on how to accelerate hardware https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accelerate-hardware/241d0be8-bb95-4912-8ec4-350278ac49d5
  6. Hardware Acceleration Setting.

Hardware Acceleration Setting.: I'm having a bit of an issue with video play back. It's either showing up a total green screen or a black screen. Audio playback is fine. I've read on several sites that my hardware acceleration needs to be turned off, I've tried following the instruction, but I cannot for...
  7. Hardware Acceleration

Hardware Acceleration: I'm trying to turn off hardware acceleration on my PC. I have already turned it off for specific apps such as chrome and Discord. I'm wondering how do I turn it off from my PC in general? I have searched all over the internet but none are helping....
  8. Hardware acceleration issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hardware acceleration issue: Hardware acceleration doesn't seem to work on my pc for some reason. I am scratching my head on this one. I have scoured the internet and I have yet to find the right solution.. I am running windows 10 pro on a custom built pc with a ryzen 5 2600 currently running stock with...
  9. Disable hardware acceleration on apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable hardware acceleration on apps: I'd like to know how to disable hardware acceleration on apps like Sticky Notes & Calculator on Windows 10. I currently have hardware acceleration disabled in my browser and other software that don't require it. With Sticky Notes that often stay open for days it causes my...
  10. Chrome Hardware Acceleration

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Hardware Acceleration: Hi. I have hardware acceleration enabled in chrome. My question is would it be beneficial to go to nvidia control panel and set the dedicated gpu as primary for Chrome? The way it is now it is at 0% activity and Intel does the work but if I enable it then both the Intel and...