Windows 10: Hardware changes and activation

Discus and support Hardware changes and activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; In my experience over many years of monkeying about with pc hardware, I have never had problems activating genuine copies of Windows. Changing cpu's,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tinmar49, Sep 1, 2015.

1. tinmar49 Win User

Hardware changes and activation

In my experience over many years of monkeying about with pc hardware, I have never had problems activating genuine copies of Windows. Changing cpu's, hdd's ram and graphics cards have never bothered Microsoft. Back in the XP days, I also changed motherboards with OEM software successfully. As far as I can tell, only changing the motherboard would cause problems with modern operating systems. I have changed hdd's for ssd's and vice versa and graphics cards with no problems on W10 upgrades. Today, I received a cpu from Ebay and fitted it into the pc which runs 8.1 and W10 upgrade from W7hp. BIOS recognised it at once, but both copies of Windows required a restart, system and device manager failed to recognise the cpu first time. Activation was not affected in either copy of Windows.

:)

tinmar49, Sep 1, 2015
  2. Bakairo89 Win User

Hardware change and activation

I must admit, I was waiting for you in particular to respond! You're like the god of the forum haha.

Thanks for the confirmation Andre, the links are super as well!

I know a few people who'll find this helpful also.

Again, thanks!

Bakairo89, Sep 1, 2015
  3. Bakairo89 Win User
    Hardware change and activation

Good day to all!

Anyway, I need some help clarifying something that has such a mixed bag of info all over the net.

I'm upgrading my PC hardware after 6 years, this includes the Motherboard, CPU and RAM.

Now, I previously had Windows 8.1 Pro and 'free' upgraded to 10 to receive that Digital Entitlement activation.

Looking online many people, blogs and articles are saying a new license must be purchased. If this is true, it's a bit of a dick move from Microsoft. I've never had this issue with previous OS. However some then go on to say the old tried and true method
    of phone activation can override this. I have used this method many times before when upgrading other peoples hardware, so it would be nice if it works.

Finally, I've just been in a chat with an MS Tech who told me, and I have screenshots to prove this, that it works completely different now. According to this person, once the old key is used to upgrade to Windows 10, that key is now tied to 10 instead
    of the old OS and should always be good to use. I was also told that doing a major upgrade to my system like this will have no effect on my license activation.

I really don't want to spend another £190 just to get my Windows 10 pro back. I also don't like the idea that, should I sell this old hardware, somebody is getting £190 worth of OS for free from me. I know it was an upgrade from 8.1 but I still paid bloody
    good money for it!

So if someone could weigh in and help clear this mess up, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Bakairo89, Sep 1, 2015
  4. gzt7d8 Win User

I hope you are right. I plan on getting a new SSD drive and would prefer to install a clean copy but I won't. I had a terrible experience with MS on activation of a clean install on my existing system AFTER I upgraded to Win 10, 25 days earlier.

Tech support offered NO help, just said sorry you'll have to reinstall Win 8.1 and start over. I've read other cases where tech support gave a product key to resolve the issue. Why can't they be consistent in the handling of these cases.

gzt7d8, Sep 2, 2015
  5. damocles Win User
    I have built a few systems and the only issue I have had with activation is when I changed the motherboard on an older system, I think there used to be a limit to the amount of other hardware change too. If your bios recognises the new CPU you 'should' be good to go. Personally, I would never buy hardware off Ebay as it could be dodgy or fake.

In the past I have had to call MS to explain the reason for the hardware ( MB is usually bricked by Bios update ) change and they have given me a new key - while things are different with Win10, it's worth a shot. Nothing to lose

EDIT: the post above was posted while I was replying.

damocles, Sep 2, 2015
  6. HankB Win User
    I feel your pain. I upgraded the Wife's PC from 7 to 10, created restore media and replaced the HD with an SSD. Unfortunately the restore media would not work, probably because the replacement drive was smaller (even though I had shrunk the old partitions to less than 1/4 the size of the new SSD.) I installed Win10 from DVD image downloaded from MS and it refused to activate. MS support told me that I had to install 7 first. That's an awful policy IMO. I tried to download 7 install media from MS but could not because I have an OE license key. I tried to find a way to get install media from Lenovo but can see no way to do that. (Based on the support options I found on their web site I may never buy another Lenovo product.)

I wound up installing Linux Mint and that is what SWMBO is now using. It's ironic. Due to the insider program I have W10 pro on two PCs (1 HD install and three VMs) and the one that would be most useful cannot be gotten to work. (I'm a dyed in the wool Penguinista. *Wink ) Overall I put about two days of screwing around with that getting the upgrade going and trying to activate. It took 20 minutes to install Linux.

HankB, Sep 2, 2015
  7. tinmar49 Win User
    I have three pc's with updated W10, so far I havn't needed to clean install any of them. I don't think there would be any problem even with a new hdd. Cloning the hdd, say for a bigger one, or fitting an ssd is also ok.

tinmar49, Sep 2, 2015
  8. mad dog Win User

In your case i would just download any available windows 7 install media and remove that ei.cfg file from the iso.
    It doesn't matter if it's from piratebay or some other place like that as you just need it to activate with your key.

After it is activated you just upgrade to windows 10 and it is activated, wait a few days to make sure that your hwid is in Microsoft's servers then you can wipe your hdd or ssd if you want.
    Then you sought have fully legit and working windows 10 on your ssd.

Main thing that you need is to have windows 7 to windows 10 to make that hwid for that computer, after that you don't need to install windows 7 even if you need to make clean install for your windows 10 pc.

mad dog, Sep 3, 2015
  9. tinmar49 Win User
    I find Mini Tool Partition Wizard works well moving things from one hdd to another.

tinmar49, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hardware changes and activation - Similar Threads - Hardware changes activation

2. Windows Activation and Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation and Hardware Change: I recently swapped my MB, CPU, and RAM from a b450 to a b550 and from an AMD Ryzen 3 to a 5. I bought a prebuilt that came with windows in 2020 from Skytech Gaming it’s the ArchAngel with the GTX 1060 ti and 8 GB of ram. however since I changed it I haven’t been able to...
  3. Activation After Hardware change.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation After Hardware change.: Hi I downloaded Windows 10 Home some time ago and it activated with a digital licence linked to my account. I decided to upgrade the motherboard but now it won't reactivate ,I'm logged into my account and clicked I changed my hardware selected the device but it won't...
  4. Activation on hardware change

Activation on hardware change: I have recently changed my motherboard and other parts I need to change the product code to the new device I have done this once before but that involved ringing Microsoft which overall was an awful experience is there any way I can do it in my settings...
  5. Activation when changing hardware

Activation when changing hardware: My PC is running Windows 10 Pro, which was acquired via a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro. I don't recall whether that version was OEM or Retail, as I got it something like 11 years ago through my university at the time. It involved going on to a microsoft store, adding a...
  6. Activation after hardware change

Activation after hardware change: So I recently changed my motherboard, cpu and memory and reinstalled windows 10 corrupt sys 32 or something idk. Obviously, I then had to reactivate windows but when I tried to it told me that I had already reactivated windows using that key. I never have. Is this something...
  7. Activation after hardware change

Activation after hardware change: Hello! I upgraded my pc, and I was signed into my school mail account on the previous system. Now I want to reactivate my licence, but I'm stuck in troubleshooter because I get error That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different account or get a new one. But it is...
  8. hardware change and activation

hardware change and activation: my pc running windows 10 was sent in twice to the manufacturer for motherboard issues while under warranty. now that the warranty period is over, i would like to swap out the motherboard all together. i would like to know if there will be a problem with automatic activation...
  9. Hardware changes and windows activation

Hardware changes and windows activation: I recently changed a lot of hardware to my computer including the motherboard. There is a watermark in the lower right hand corner saying to Activate Windows. So I went to the activation in settings and used the trouble shooter. I clicked the link on the troubleshooter that...
  10. Activation after Hardware Changes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after Hardware Changes.: I've recently rebuilt my PC with completely new Mobo, CPU and RAM. However, my HDD is the same and I've just plugged it in straight from my old PC, without using any sort of transfer utility. Windows is now telling me it is not activated , and when I click on "recent hardware...