Windows 10: Hardware Reserved Memory 5.5GB

Discus and support Hardware Reserved Memory 5.5GB in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a windows 10 computer that i did a clean install during the free upgrade. Now i went the Task Manager to see that , my hardware reserved memory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mihomilo, Oct 1, 2015.

1. mihomilo Win User

Hardware Reserved Memory 5.5GB

I have a windows 10 computer that i did a clean install during the free upgrade. Now i went the Task Manager to see that , my hardware reserved memory is 5.5GB. I have a 8GB ram and i can only use 2.5 gb.. How can i fix this?
    Hardware Reserved Memory 5.5GB [​IMG]

:)

mihomilo, Oct 1, 2015

2. Hardware Reserved Memory

Thanks for but I'm using a very basic Urdu BIOS where the only thing i can change is the boot order and safe boot settings and set user and supervisor passwords.

All it says is 6 gb of installed memory nothing about video memory although im using an apu...

In msconfig the settings are as you have shown and yes i have tried clean boot and optimized the defaults. Even failsafe mode does not help.

RohanChikkam, Oct 1, 2015
  3. Hardware Reserved Memory

I have been through the process you have stated but unfortunately no luck Hardware Reserved Memory 5.5GB :(

Also this doesnt answer my question about lowering the Hardware Reserved Memory in order to let Windows 10 use more.

RohanChikkam, Oct 1, 2015
  4. Hardware Reserved Memory 5.5GB

Are you running the 32bit or 64bit Windows? With the 32bit you have approximately 3.571gb roughly to work with out of the first 4gb of memory installed. The rest is simply mapped out to hardwares. The 64bit on the other hand will handle upwards of 128gb of memory in theory.

Running the 64bit 10 Pro here with 16gb installed I see 2.9gb in use at the moment due to having browser windows and a few other startups running while idle it sits at about 1.5gb. The "Hardware Reserved" immediately implies the 32bit Windows where I wouldn't be seeing the 13.1gb available out of the 16gb total here.

Night Hawk, Oct 1, 2015
  5. mihomilo Win User
    Hi im running 64 bit windows. But it make no sense for a 5.5gb to be reserved.

mihomilo, Oct 1, 2015
  6. 32 gb ram here, 136mb hardware reserved, in use 2.5gb, win10 64bit pro. H
    ope you are running a 64bit version of win10, if so, let windows automatically manage your page file for you. How to: Change the size of virtual memory - Windows Help

lopedoggie, Oct 1, 2015
  7. If you had a few VMs one test would opening each one up with a player that allows multiple instances like VBox and wait until you see the "out of resources" type error when having a few using 2gb running! That would show if the TM was off! Ran into that when 7 was still early on with 4gb of memory and the old XP Mode plus a couple of other VMs running and tasked the memory!

Since you are running the 64bit the next step is to see if either the System File Checker tool can be a help or you may have to plan a clean install to replace the clean install as a last resort if not able to get this fixed in the present install. Generally the upgrades can turn out buggy while this can also be seen with clean installs at times just nowhere near as common place however!

To get the SFC going simply right click on the Start button and choose the Command prompt(admin) option preferred. Once that is opened up type in "sfc /scannow" and hit the enter/return key to start that up. If the tool finds any system files missing if not buggy it will or should replace them automatically. In previous versions if needed you would be prompted for the installation media used to install Windows with since certain files would have to be unpacked all over again.

Night Hawk, Oct 1, 2015
  8. mihomilo Win User

hi i did the sfc /scannow a couple of times and it all says that Window Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations

mihomilo, Oct 1, 2015
  9. The unfortunate side of that would be if the SFC itself is having a problem of it's own since you should be seeing well over 6gb available when the system sits idle. The TM is showing only 1.1gb in use which can vary a few hundred mb but over 5gb shows there's a problem!

When in doubt the rule of thought at times is to "Toss It Out"! I have to suspect you ended up with one of the more rare "buggy" clean installs compared to how many are still with their first upgrades running into problems. How old is the present install at this time? Tracing your steps backward from when this was first seen to the time of the clean install might indicate what made a drastic change if some 3rd party element is responsible?!

Night Hawk, Oct 1, 2015
  10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Check your bios to see if there is some option called "memory hole" "memory remap" or something like that.

eLPuSHeR, Oct 1, 2015
  11. The Asus support site wasn't much help in finding out much about the memory other then listing the speeds of DDR3 it will take with nothing about the voltage whether 1.5v or 1.9v. You would think Corsair seen in your system specs would be among the brands in the QVC page list but I was unable to get onto that page from the board page for some reason.

If you are not mixing memory but only have the pair of dimms one potential issue is an incompatibility of some type between the memory you have installed now and the board itself. The Asus support page shows that model board will suppport upto 64gb so you are not running with oversized dimms one reason this problem comes up.

Night Hawk, Oct 1, 2015
  12. mihomilo Win User
    Yes. I am only running 8 GB of ram.

mihomilo, Oct 1, 2015
  13. Hardware Reserved Memory 5.5GB

I've never actually seen that type of problem on any machine here going back to 3.1/9X! 98SE wouldn't even run with anything over 500mb back then. But this also reminded of Vista's SP1 correcting the lack of accurate memory totals in that older version there.

10 still has some bugs in it to be worked out as any new version would see. Something you have added on right before the problem started would be attributed to some 3rd party clash while in most cases either there's a hardware issue or something in Windows is goofed up royally!

You're not ocing anything are you? That could be another possible source if you have turned things up any like memory timings if not the cpu itself. Have to look at anything and everything at this point.

Night Hawk, Oct 1, 2015
  14. mihomilo Win User
    Nope im not overclocking or anything.. I compared my task manager with a friend of mine and his Hardware reserved memory is 200+mb even though we are runnning the same 64bit windows 10 Pro OS..

mihomilo, Oct 1, 2015
  15. mihomilo Win User
    Oh NightHawk sorry for the late reply the last clean install was 3days ago.

mihomilo, Oct 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Hardware Reserved Memory 5.5GB - Similar Threads - Hardware Reserved Memory

2. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware reserved memory: Hello,am having a problem with my memory in the last 3 days.As you can see here my hardware reserved memory is 8.1gb ,i have tryed reseting my bios,removing my cmos battery and putting it back again,unchecked maximum memory in msconfig ,set no paging file on system memory in...
  3. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware reserved memory: Hello,am having a problem with my memory in the last 3 days.As you can see here my hardware reserved memory is 8.1gb ,i have tryed reseting my bios,removing my cmos battery and putting it back again,unchecked maximum memory in msconfig ,set no paging file on system memory in...
  4. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware reserved memory: Hi - my 8GB of ram has been reduced down to 6GB because 2GB of it is hardware reserved. I've tried swapping the sticks around 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4-2666, I've tried Windows Memory Diagnostics, and even looked at the maximum memory option in msconfig. Both sticks of memory are...
  5. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware reserved memory: Hi - my 8GB of ram has been reduced down to 6GB because 2GB of it is hardware reserved. I've tried swapping the sticks around 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4-2666, I've tried Windows Memory Diagnostics, and even looked at the maximum memory option in msconfig. Both sticks of memory are...
  6. Hardware reserved memory!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hardware reserved memory!: First I need o say that I use windows 10 Pro 64-bit, I have Ryzen 5 3500U and 8GB ramAsus ZenBook, UX431DA! I said all that information because I tried to do all from Flash my BIOS, Edit somethind in regedit or msconfig, and runned maintenance task! I have 8 gb ram 2x4 and...
  7. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hardware reserved memory: Hello. i just purchased a lenovo ideapad l340 laptop with 8GB RAM 4GB built in and 4GB in one slot im running windows 10 64bit my bios reads the full 8GB RAM and so does my windows, but it says only 5.88 are usuable and 2.1 are hardware reserved my games are reading it as...
  8. Hardware reserve memory

Hardware reserve memory: I am using a Ryzen 5 3500u processor with Windows 10 As per the specification RAM 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM onboard for Hard Drive: 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD I see 2.1 GB as memory reserve for Hardware. the manufacturer HP says this how the product has been manufactured. But...
  9. Hardware Reserved Memory

Hardware Reserved Memory: Hello everyone, my computer specs are as follows: AMD FX 8350 CPU ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard AMD Radeon R200 270X Gskill 2x8gb 1600hz RAM I have 64 bit Windows 10 pro OS I have the problem that makes half of my RAM 4.1 GB to be exact hardware reserved and cannot be...
  10. "hardware reserved" memory.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "hardware reserved" memory.: Recently booted up my pc after a bios reset (computer blue screened) and I noticed a lack in performance compare to my computer's normal speed. Looked in task manager and it is classing 8gb of my 16 that's installed as "hardware reserved". I'd like to know why this is, what I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reducing hardware reserved ram from 5.5 gig

2. hardware reserved 5.5 gb