Windows 10: Has anyone else here thought about installing 7 or 8.1 over Windows 10

Discus and support Has anyone else here thought about installing 7 or 8.1 over Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm asking cause since with all of the updates and the fact that 10 just keeps either forcing or causing peoples machines to not work functionally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Redbatman, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Redbatman Win User

Has anyone else here thought about installing 7 or 8.1 over Windows 10

I'm asking cause since with all of the updates and the fact that 10 just keeps either forcing or causing peoples machines to not work functionally anymore, it just make me wonder if I should just buy a Windows 7 key to avoid these issues.

I mean Microsoft just doesn't seem to care if it breaks programs or takes away useful features as long as they can get your data its fine to them.

I know this is a little rant but at this point does anyone believe that Windows 10 may start not being worth it?

:)

Redbatman, Apr 17, 2017
  2. cfspl Win User

Nuance Power PDF Advanced not working in Windows 10

This is a Nuance con, My PDF converter8.1 has worked fine with Windows 10 for over 1 year.

Recently is has been crashing with a "program" has stopped working message.

I rang nuance and they advise that PDF Converter 8.1 is not compatible with Windows 10.

The obvious question is why did it work for over 1 year and now it does not?

Sounds Like Nuance Black mail to me?

Anyone else have a comment here?

cfspl, Apr 17, 2017
  3. JustMeBH Win User
    WINDOWS 10 an eye into your PC

Has anyone else heard rumors about Windows/government using Windows 10 to spy on us? Has anyone experienced a lag or slow behavior with Windows 10? I am happy with Windows 8.1. Is it mandatory to upgrade to W 10?

JustMeBH, Apr 17, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

simrick, Apr 17, 2017
  5. Outlander Win User
    You are not alone....I bought the Anniversary Edition thinking there might be a service pack and monthly security updates and I would have a solid Windows system. I am not much of an updater so my AE has never been touched and it works fairly well. I've gotten it to look like 7 but it scares me. I'm totally paranoid about some bloody update sneaking in an ruining everything I worked hard to set up. When I installed I turned off EVERYTHING because of warnings from forums and YouTube. Lord knows if I got it all. I've watched this drama for months now and it has left me dazed and confused. I thought I was buying a finished product. It now seems like this is one big experiment at the expense of the consumer. I just wanted something solid and reliable that would leave me alone.......Like 7. I've pretty much gone back to my old 7 machine while I gather the energy to install 7 on a separate drive in my new box. I figure 7 will last long enough to give me the time to learn Linux. MS needs to get something out there that is FINISHED and reliable or I am sure a lot of people like me are going to go away. Hey. a totally new direction might be a good thing?

Outlander, Apr 17, 2017
  6. Redbatman Win User
    Well the only reason why I'm on Windows is because I became a PC gamer three years back and I got 10 back in late 2015 with my build, now I just kinda wished I got 7 instead sometimes. Plus Linux support for games kinds suck still.

Redbatman, Apr 17, 2017
  7. tomseys Win User
    I've read a tutorial that teaches one how to install win 10 on a system that has win 8.1 so you can have a dual boot situation. But if you have win 10 and want to install 8.1 on the machine as well. Can this be done? It would be the 8.1 that i had before i upgraded to 10. I have it on a usb.

tomseys, Apr 18, 2017
  8. Has anyone else here thought about installing 7 or 8.1 over Windows 10

I too are getting the same feeling about W10. It seems like its just a ongoing work in progress. What bugs me the most is that each of these major upgrades had nothing I wanted or needed. And the worst part is if you customize it for your own likes, each Major upgrade + some C.U.'s undo most or all of the customization's.

Running dual boot systems is not the solution. The only real solutions are UNIX or MAC. Apple was in my past and left a ugly taste and I would only go back is if they were the only one left. So there is really only one other solution. Time will tell.

storageman, Apr 18, 2017
  9. Good grief. How many more times does it need to be explained. Microsoft can't account for or test every single variable. Think of how many hardware and software combinations exist. It's isn't Microsoft's fault. That has been said so often, that it should be considered common knowledge by now.

There is some level of responsibility for the user to have their system ready for the update. What I mean by that is, the system should be running efficient and stable. If it isn't, or it is riddled with malware, you can't expect an update to go on. Yes, unforeseen issues do happen, but not often.

Simply put, if you've tried to upgrade and had an issue or had it fail, then just perform a clean install. Your data should have been backed up before attempting the upgrade anyway. Many of us prefer to go right to the clean install. It's a very simple, quick process if you plan ahead.

I apologize for the tone my post may have, but it gets tiresome seeing the same unwarranted blame assigned each time. Most often, the upgrade goes on smoothly. I've been very surprised, in a good way, and how quickly the Creator's Update goes on and how well the system runs afterwards.

As for rolling back your OS, there's little point in doing so, unless you have some very unique compatibility issue. The focus of hardware and software manufacturers is Windows 10. If you want the best performance and support, it's best to stay current.

DeaconFrost, Apr 18, 2017
  10. Redbatman Win User
    There is truth to what you say, but it just gets tiresome when Microsoft upgrades and breaks something, I'll give you an example.

Back in February microsoft decided to update my Gpu driver and in by doing so they caused me to have a BSOD later on, so i tried to install my previous driver back on it, but everytime I did it would be overwritten with Microsoft's driver, so I had to go to Nvidia's website to get a much newer one to fix it.

I was reluctant to do update my driver since Nvidia's drivers lately have been causin issues with various users lately.

Redbatman, Apr 18, 2017
  11. So going back to my post, did you verify what caused the BSoD? You can also disable Windows Update from installing drivers. I have an Nvidia card, and I don't run in to any issues updating the drivers. I usually install the latest every month to six weeks.

It's not unheard of to have a minor issue with a computer. Your example is an easy fix and could also have been avoided completely. It's hardly a reason to consider rolling back to a previous version of Windows. It doesn't happen nearly often enough to be considered tiresome on a stable system. If it is happening often, it sounds like you have an underlying issue that's affecting stability.

As a better example, cars get flat tires from time to time. I drive an A4, so while it may be frustrating when I do get one, it's hardly the fault of Audi. Microsoft can only plan for an account for so much.

Take a look at Apple, where there are FAR less iterations of hardware and software. The control both hardware and software, and still have many issues. Each time they update iOS, there are major issues. If you think it's bad enough to rant about now, you should give Apple a shot. Dealing with Windows is a breeze.

12. Redbatman Win User
    It was microsoft, the driver they installed was given to others as well back in Feb, when I did a who crashed report the cause it pointed to was the microsoft driver.

As for Apple, no way. They overcharge for all of thier products and for parts that are outdated by each new installment. If I wanted to use Mac OS I would rather build a hackingtosh.

Redbatman, Apr 18, 2017
  13. Has anyone else here thought about installing 7 or 8.1 over Windows 10

14. I totally agree with you and share your frustration. It DOES get tiresome to hear the same old same old Microsoft sux because _______ fill in the blank. When the blank is usually user related. I've yet to have a problem with updates since moving to 10. No broken programs, no loss of Data etc. I've said for years now that people need to take a little time and take care of their machines. A little foresight and preparation solves 99.5% of the problems in ANYTHING, computers included.

indianacarnie, Apr 20, 2017
  15. CountMike New Member
    Just look at drivel posted on places like this: Hack lets older Windows users get around Windows 10 update restriction If somebody not familiar with W10 reads that he would get a completely wrong impression.
    Just like comments on EBay and sites like that. People labeling a product they don't know anything about an screwing it themselves label an Intel based MB as you know what because they bent pins in the CPU socket for instance.

CountMike, Apr 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Has anyone else here thought about installing 7 or 8.1 over Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Has anyone else

2. Has anyone else’s computer bricked?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Has anyone else’s computer bricked?: I downloaded the latest update last night and it totally fucked up my computer. I have the “Reboot and select proper boot device” message after I guess the OS just shit the bed. I can only enter UEFI bios. Setting correct boot order does nothing and I have no Windows disc to...
  3. has anyone else contacted their congressional Senator about the default data theft...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    has anyone else contacted their congressional Senator about the default data theft...: has anyone else contacted their congressional Senator about the default data theft from ONEDRIVE by MS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/has-anyone-else-contacted-their-congressional/4b105cb4-b712-44a4-95a6-ba68baca452a
  4. Has anyone else had problems with Avast? Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has anyone else had problems with Avast? Windows 10: On the 17th August I paid £32.95 to renew & upgrade my Ccleaner. But I keep getting the warning shown below. I've emailed their Cstomer Service sic team four times but they've ignored me. I even copied in their CEO but they still ignore me. This is pathetic & disgraceful...
  5. Has anyone else had problems with Avast? Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Has anyone else had problems with Avast? Windows 10: On the 17th August I paid £32.95 to renew & upgrade my Ccleaner. But I keep getting the warning shown below. I've emailed their Cstomer Service sic team four times but they've ignored me. I even copied in their CEO but they still ignore me. This is pathetic & disgraceful...
  6. Anyone else knew about this? lol

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone else knew about this? lol: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/freddiemayforreal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/pna2dg/anyone_else_knew_about_this_lol/
  7. Windows 8 Installation over Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 8 Installation over Windows 10: A couple months ago, I purchased a cheap laptop to take some courses online during the pandemic. I only payed a hundred dollars, so I didn't expect anything fancy and thought I knew what I was getting into with this computer and its operating software, since I had used...
  8. Anyone else here use Crucial Brand SSD's?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Anyone else here use Crucial Brand SSD's?: I'm asking since I have noticed that when I boot up I will get the Event ID 10 error with the following. A TCG Command has returned an error. Desc: AuthenticateSession Param1: 0x1 Param2: 0x60000001C Param3: 0x900000006 Param4: 0x0 Status: 0x12 I did get...
  9. Install over Windows 7 has problems - can I reinstall over Windows 7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install over Windows 7 has problems - can I reinstall over Windows 7?: Here's why: Desktop, Notification area, Taskbar and System Tray blink on and off every few seconds. Everything worked fine in Windows 7 (I have an Image Backup). In W10, System File Checker shows errors, not in Windows 10. 57993
  10. Install over Windows 7 has problems - can I reinstall over Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install over Windows 7 has problems - can I reinstall over Windows 7: Here's why: Desktop, Notification area, Taskbar and System Tray blink on and off every few seconds. Everything worked fine in Windows 7 (I have an Image Backup). In W10, System File Checker shows errors, not in Windows 7. 57994