Windows 10: Has anyone seen this behavior when dragging windows on the desktop

Discus and support Has anyone seen this behavior when dragging windows on the desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; You're welcome, Bree! Kind regards Kin Shing (aka Dave) Glad I could help. . And thank you for adding the MSI instructions so that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KS Tchang, Apr 4, 2018.

1. KS Tchang Win User

Has anyone seen this behavior when dragging windows on the desktop

You're welcome, Bree!

Kind regards

Kin Shing (aka Dave)

KS Tchang, Apr 4, 2018
  2. KS Tchang Win User

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a new laptop that came with Windows 10 home edition. During the initial boot of the system the Windows 10 Fall Creators update was installed. Now when dragging windows on the desktop an additional window appears. In the following image you will see an illustration of this behavior (the extra window is encircled with a red line):

Has anyone seen this behavior when dragging windows on the desktop [​IMG]

This behavior seems to be an extention to the standard Windows snap assist functions, but I have never seen this on other Windows 10 systems! Problem with this behavior is that if one releases the mouse button when dragging a window on the desktop within this extra window the dragged window is resized instead of being moved. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is this new in Windows 10 or does this feature come from another source?

For extra information you will find the Windows version that is currenly installed on my system in the following image:

Thanks for the feedback.

Kind regards

Kin Shing TCHANG

:)

KS Tchang, Apr 26, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Drag and Drop Stopped working

Drag and dropped stopped working when within an application and dragging out of an application to another. It still works when dragging into and application from MS Explorer.

The only error message I have seen is with Office 2013. When I try and drag and drop and email to another folder I get the message "Cannot find this file. Verify the path and file name are correct".

This happens with all applications.

Has anyone else seen this problem in Windows 10 Pro Build 10586?

BruceRosen, Apr 26, 2018
  4. JoeNamco Win User

Has anyone seen this about activation

Telling me to install Windows Pro after doing an upgrade to the fall release see the picture, this system belongs to a friend who doesn't have a MSA has never needed one before, when running the troubleshooter it's
    asking to sign in with a account, the system is a HP compaq Pro 8200 with an I5 CPU, it was upgraded from an activated version/build 15063.632, what's up?

JoeNamco, Apr 26, 2018
  5. Plankton Win User
    Plankton, Apr 27, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @KS Tchang

It's a Dell, isn't it?

It's Dell's own app. See this thread for how to turn it off...

https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/New-XPS15-how-to-turn-off-awful-window-snap-menu/td-p/4717100

Apparently no one likes it much, but Dell persists in putting it on all their machines...

virtual desktop question

7. KS Tchang Win User
    Hi Bree,

Thanks for your reply. No, it's not a Dell, but a MSI laptop (GT62VR 7RE Dominator Pro). Nonetheless you pointed me in the right direction. MSI has a simular software 'MSI True Color' tool. In this tool you have to click on 'Show settings', then on 'Tools' tab and then select 'Desktop partition'. In this screen you can turn off Desktop partition. Now the behavior is normal when dragging windows on the desktop!

I would never have thought of looking into this software for the solution without your tip! I thought that this tool only influenced the color profiles for the monitors. Thanks again for your assistance.

Kind regards
    Kin Shing TCHANG

KS Tchang, Apr 27, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Glad I could help.
    And thank you for adding the MSI instructions so that others can benefit.

Thema:

1. Has anyone seen this behavior when dragging windows on the desktop - Similar Threads - Has anyone behavior

2. has anyone seen this behavior with recycle bin?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    has anyone seen this behavior with recycle bin?: I had 3 items in my recycle bin which should have been empty folders. I selected empty recycle bin and started working on something else until I noticed the progress was at 19% and it said something like discovering 200,000 items. I was like whoa and I hit cancel and then the...
  3. Anyone seen this before?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone seen this before?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/rbdgswg- [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kns5ve/anyone_seen_this_before/
  4. Has anyone seen this new feature?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Has anyone seen this new feature?: Has anyone seen this new feature Start typing to search, in the Start Menu. If so, how is it enabled? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/has-anyone-seen-this-new-feature/6ff0f171-05df-4c58-abc9-d07770b87353
  5. Has anyone seen a Windows Update do a restore instead?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Has anyone seen a Windows Update do a restore instead?: I have a customer who I believe either fell victim to a virus scam, or something is wrong with their Windows Update settings. What they describe is the result of Windows Restore without saving user settings. I hope to find everything in their Windows.old folder. If I do,...
  6. Has anyone seen embedded Excel Objects becoming "Unkown Objects" when Word is saved and...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Has anyone seen embedded Excel Objects becoming "Unkown Objects" when Word is saved and...: I'm using Windows 10 and Office 16 with the latest updates. I believe this is a Windows 10 User Registry/OLE problem rather than an Office problem because only one of 3 users on this laptop have the problem. But, When I embed an excel spreadsheet into a Word document, save...
  7. Strange initial screen - has anyone seen this before?

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange initial screen - has anyone seen this before?: Hi everybody, I have a question. I bought a new Microsoft Surface Pro and was greeted with the attached screen (I blackened some unnecessary reflections of the screen and the two white parts showed the same 7-digit number). This somehow looks dubious to me. I was asking...
  8. When dragging windows on the desktop, the movement is erratic

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    When dragging windows on the desktop, the movement is erratic: Hello. I have this weird problem since i changed the monitor. The previous one was a normal 23" FHD 60hz and all went well and smooth. Now i have a large 35" 21:9 with 3440x1440 resolution and 120hz refresh rate. It is annoying when i move windows around the desktop (being...
  9. Visual Bug - Has anyone seen this before?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Visual Bug - Has anyone seen this before?: Randomly this happens when opening a new window. It's always happened after I upgraded to Windows 10 years ago. If anyone could tell me the cause and possibly a fix it would be awesome. I also have the latest Nvidia drivers and windows updates. Example Pic...
  10. Anyone seen seen mistakes in Edge's spell checker?

in Browsers and Email
    Anyone seen seen mistakes in Edge's spell checker?: I've noticed two words, there may be more, that Edge's spell check say are misspelled even when they are correct. Carter and China are two words when used with a capital C that give me a spelling check error. Is anyone else experiencing that? In fact they show up as errors on...