Windows 10: Has anyone tried w10 full system backup and restore?

Discus and support Has anyone tried w10 full system backup and restore? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Though some testing. Windows 10 is a little too picky about being changed. I was trying my backup software & I also tried partition to partition copy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by groze, Oct 30, 2014.

1. groze Win User

Has anyone tried w10 full system backup and restore?

Though some testing. Windows 10 is a little too picky about being changed. I was trying my backup software & I also tried partition to partition copy using Mini partition wizard. Both methods ended with windows 10 not able to boot. All windows 10 files were restored & I tried the repair option, it still showed the boot error. I didn't try partition to partition backup with windows 7, that restored fine with my backup software. I don't quite remember the error message but said this file was missing winload.exe which was not missing.

I haven't tried windows 10 full system backup & restore, So has anyone tried it?

Thank you for the info in advance.

:)

groze, Oct 30, 2014
  2. jadlady Win User

How to do a full backup of my Windows 10 System

I would like to do a full backup of my computer including all software and system files. I believe this is called a system imaging backup. Can anyone tell me how to do this on Windows 10? My computer only has a backup for Windows 7. All advice and instruction
    will be greatly appreciated.

jadlady, Oct 30, 2014
  3. W10 Backup - Options

Now I can say, after two weeks, the solution was simple and my backup W10 is still working.

Evrybody with a backup problem should examine how the backup W7 (via: START (left mouse button) - Configurations - System - Backup) is configured.

There has to be NO PLANNING and if so the W7 backup should use another external harddrive as the W10 backup.

GerardBoekkamp, Oct 30, 2014
  4. topgundcp Win User

topgundcp, Oct 30, 2014
  5. Tews Win User
    If you're talking about Windows native backup/restore, no I havent as I have never had any luck with it. I have used Macrium Reflect for all my imaging needs, and I've never looked back. *Wink

Edit: Ninjad by Dino! *Smile

6. Edwin New Member
    Native Windows Image Backup and Restore worked okay for me.

Edwin, Oct 30, 2014
  7. AddRAM Win User
    I didn`t know 10 had a backup program, where is it ?

AddRAM, Oct 30, 2014
  8. badrobot Win User

+1 for Macrium.

I use the Macrium bootable USB rescue media to fix boot problems which I already tried with Win 10 and it works like a charm.

badrobot, Oct 30, 2014
  9. Edwin New Member
    Control Panel, File History, bottom left

Edwin, Oct 30, 2014
  10. AddRAM Win User
    Well that`s good to see, I thought they removed it, it`s always worked perfect for me with 7, the few times I tested it.

But for redundancy I use Macrium too.

AddRAM, Oct 30, 2014
  11. badrobot Win User
    It's been under File History since Win 8 *Smile
    But it doesn't matter. Macrium got us covered.

badrobot, Oct 30, 2014
  12. LittleJay Win User
    I use Macrium Reflect as my main imaging program and Windows Imaging as a secondary backup, mainly because I have had problems with restoring Windows image, where as Macrium has never failed me.

LittleJay, Oct 31, 2014
  13. groze Win User

I can't seem to find the system image only in windows tech preview and create a start up disk option. I used the administrator windows powershell to do the image. I am still going to try Macrium as well.

groze, Oct 31, 2014
  14. AddRAM Win User
    Control Panel, File History, Create System Image is down in the bottom left corner. It is kinda hidden.

I thought it was fine under the Backup and Restore Icon where it was in 7 *Smile Feedback time *Wink

AddRAM, Oct 31, 2014
  15. groze Win User
    Thanks Addram, I was looking in the Pc settings, wrong place. However, I am using Macrium Reflect now. It even works with Lubuntu linux. Now, I can boot into Windows 7, Windows 10 preview or Lubuntu Linux. With grub 2 installed it is now easier to boot into windows 10.

Before I installed Installed Lubuntu, Windows 7 system Image backups & restores W7 & W10 without an issue.

groze, Oct 31, 2014
Thema:

1. Has anyone tried w10 full system backup and restore? - Similar Threads - Has anyone tried

2. Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?: Sorry the below is a bit long winded but I wanted to include all steps that I actioned…Laptop purchased with W11 and created W11 updated backup image to internal and external drives.Downgraded from W11 to W10 and created W10 updated backup image to internal and external...
  3. Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?: Sorry the below is a bit long winded but I wanted to include all steps that I actioned…Laptop purchased with W11 and created W11 updated backup image to internal and external drives.Downgraded from W11 to W10 and created W10 updated backup image to internal and external...
  4. Can a W11 System Backup Image be restored to a laptop running W10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  6. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  7. How to backup full system so it can be restored easily

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to backup full system so it can be restored easily: Hi, I am looking for a backup solution that can backup everything on my machines to a NAS and if anything goes wrong can copy the latest backup on a new PC without having to install windows, programs, do settings and all that stuff. What can you recommend? :) More detailed:...
  8. Windows 7 backup&restore on W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 backup&restore on W10: The backup&restore program is looking for a file that does not exist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-backuprestore-on-w10/a913b9b8-3e1b-42d6-804e-b0fb8ff43bc0
  9. Has anyone tried a System Backup/Restore on a Win10 tablet?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Has anyone tried a System Backup/Restore on a Win10 tablet?: Tried the System Backup/Restore procedure. Successfully created System Image on specially purchased micro-usb thumbdrive. On attempting Restore...got as far as initiating the 'Special Bootup' proc. However...at this point the restore procedure REQUIRES user input while at the...
  10. Is there a system restore feature in W10?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is there a system restore feature in W10?: Today I somehow deleted an important folder from my desktop, and I am desperate to get it back? So is there a system restore feature in W10, if so where is it found, and would it restore my folder?*cry 104376