Windows 10: has my 64bit os not been using all my RAM??

Discus and support has my 64bit os not been using all my RAM?? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a 32bit cpu core 2 duo e7500 2.93Ghz, but in windows 10 32bit I couldn't use over 4GB of RAM. so I did what anyone would do and downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by thequestioner, Apr 22, 2017.

1. has my 64bit os not been using all my RAM??

I have a 32bit cpu core 2 duo e7500 2.93Ghz, but in windows 10 32bit I couldn't use over 4GB of RAM.
    so I did what anyone would do and downloaded windows 10 64bit! For months I have been enjoying games and the new experience with 6 GB of usable RAM, or so I thought! I read that physically the 32bit processor can only access 2^32 bytes of RAM/4GB so has my OS been tricked? it does say I have a x64 based processor when it isn't 64bit (after updating OS) so is ALL the RAM been used by games such as minecraft? or is the OS expecting that it SHOULD be used as i have a "x64 based processor" and then not actually taking advantege of the 6GB???*Cool

thanks for helping!

:)

thequestioner, Apr 22, 2017

2. Help I cannot get calendar or contact information from my hotmail account to my Windows 7 phone, but the phone does show hotmail emails

Help I cannot get calendar or contact information from my hotmail account to my Windows 7 phone. However the phone does show the emails sent to my hotmail account. Information has been successfully sent from PC to hotmail account using the hotmail 64bit
    Outlook connector. No error messages noted.

Information Phone = HTC T7575 Arrive;

Mobile Operator = Sprint;

Phone OS Windows 7 phone version 7.0.7389.0;

Zune version 4.7.1404.0;

PC OS Windows 7 (64 bit) with 2010 Outlook (64bit). 64bit Outlook hotmail connector is installed.

ChristopherNorthcross, Apr 22, 2017
  3. Can i switch my architecture on Windows 10 OS?

OT: 64bit os.

my question is that my laptop has crashed and starting from scratch. I have legit windows 8 32 and 64 bit and used the 64bit disc. prior to this I had used the 32bit windows 8.1 pro and had windows 10 preview assume 32bit. My question is since I loaded 64bit
    os will still get my reserve copy as a 32 bit or 64 bit?

careyShupe, Apr 22, 2017
  4. simpk5 Win User

has my 64bit os not been using all my RAM??

simpk5, Apr 22, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    To add, a 64-bit CPU can run either a 32-bit OS or a 64-bit OS but a 32-bit CPU can run only the 32-bit OS. I have a couple of 64-bit capable computers running 32-bit Windows with 4GB RAM but they don't display all 4GB, about 3.5GB in System info, it's a limitation of the OS. And there has been no problems with that.

Windows may not show using all the RAM at any particular time, uses what it needs for whatever is being done. I never worry about the amount of RAM being used except when there's not enough to do whatever project I'm working on. The first upgrade I had to do on my first computer in '92 was to go from 4MB to 8MB in Win3.11 when WordPerfect had to use the swapfile to do an 8th or 9th page of a document, much slower back then. Hardly ever see the Paging File/Virtual Memory [same as the swapfile on older 16-bit and 32-bit Windows] giving a problem with the faster computers.

Berton, Apr 22, 2017
  6. BRKKAB Win User
    Like Berton said, if you have a pc that's newer you really shouldn't have to worry about running out of ram.
    If you're pc has 16GB's or more you're absolutely fine for the next 5-10 years.
    It's not like 1992-1995 when pc's came with MB's of ram.
    My old 486 had 8MB's of ram. I upgraded it to 24MB's. It ran Windows 95.
    Both my current pc's are at least 200% faster than that pc was.
    This pc is atleast 80% faster than my other pc.

BRKKAB, Apr 22, 2017
  7. kimkl Win User
    What motherboard do you have? is Bios fully updated
    If the mb is G31 Based it's capped at 4gb
    If the mb is Q45 Based it's capped at 16gb

Higher number of G and P series cap at 8gb

kimkl, Apr 22, 2017
  8. kimkl Win User

How many DIMM slots does your mobo have? if you have 2 slots your prob capped at 8gb if you have 4 DIMM slots your def not capped at 4gb
    But if your MB only has 1 DIMM slot my guess is your capped at 4gb, but you said you have 6gb so you prob have 2 slots
    1x4gb and 1x2gb is prob what your using so depends on what series mb you have cpu-z will tell you everything if you do not know
    Thank you

Last thing i seem to remember that this CPU supports both ddr2 and ddr3 Ram "not at the same time" but not 100% sure someone else might know, the intel page does not say or i missed it somewhere.
    I mention this because if your using ddr2 and the cpu supports ddr3 ram, you could buy a mb with ddr3 slots and enjoy faster speeds, if you can find one LGA775 mb with ddr3 slots.

I have 2 LGA775 boards not sure if they work any more but they were good boards.

kimkl, Apr 22, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    Amount of RAM recognized by MB (and OS by same extension) could be seen in BIOS. Some MBs may recognize 4GB sticks as only 2GB or 8GB as only 4GB.

CountMike, Apr 22, 2017
  10. LMiller7 Win User
    When running a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit CPU you could very easily get the impression that it was a 32 bit CPU. Environment variables, the registry, and various other locations will all identify the CPU as x86 - a 32 bit CPU. This is not a bug. This is by design.

A 64 bit capable CPU has 2 operating modes, 32 and 64 bit. There are more but they are not relevant here. While running a 32 bit OS the CPU runs in 32 bit mode. In this mode it operates exactly like a 32 bit CPU with all of it's 64 bit capabilities hidden away. This is necessary because a 64 bit CPU operating in it's native mode is an alien environment in which a 32 bit OS and applications could not operate. The CPU identifies itself as 32 bit because for all practical purposes that is what it is. If the CPU identified itself as 64 bit some 32 bit applications might be confused and not operate properly.

Only when running a 64 bit OS is the true nature of the CPU revealed. But to 32 bit applications it is still seen as a 32 bit CPU with no 64 bit capabilities. This is for compatibility reasons.

A 64 bit CPU has a special instruction that will identify it's 64 bit capabilities while in 32 bit mode. This is used by the OS and system information utilities.

LMiller7, Apr 22, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Instead of all the conjecture going on, why not just look and see what the OS says is available for RAM? Click on the start icon and type msinfo. System Information desktop app should appear at the top of the list. Click on that. Near the bottom of the System Summary screen will be the memory information.

And also, to the OP - you have a 64-bit processor. You can't run Windows 64-bit on a 32-bit processor.

NavyLCDR, Apr 22, 2017
  12. strollin Win User
    The bottom line is that if you're running 64-bit Windows, then you definitely have a 64-bit processor.

strollin, Apr 22, 2017
  13. sygnus21 Win User

Exactly!

And it would also further alleviate the guesswork if the OP posted a System screen showing the relevant information...

has my 64bit os not been using all my RAM?? [​IMG]

sygnus21, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. has my 64bit os not been using all my RAM?? - Similar Threads - has 64bit been

2. In use Compressed Memory using all of my ram.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In use Compressed Memory using all of my ram.: My compressed ram keeps increasing to use all of my ram. When I restart, it my computer works for a while then becomes unusable. I have had ram issues in the past bluescreens, crashing, pc shutting down without warning but I replaced my motherboard and RAM which seemed to...
  3. In use Compressed Memory using all of my ram.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In use Compressed Memory using all of my ram.: My compressed ram keeps increasing to use all of my ram. When I restart, it my computer works for a while then becomes unusable. I have had ram issues in the past bluescreens, crashing, pc shutting down without warning but I replaced my motherboard and RAM which seemed to...
  4. My ram is not used at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My ram is not used at all: Hello i have questions why my ram is not used allMy ram is 8gb but 3.44 used i don't know how tk fix it i try in msconfig but its say cannot apply original bootMy windows is windows 11 acer aspire es1 420Theres any solutions?...
  5. My ram is not used at all

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My ram is not used at all: Hello i have questions why my ram is not used allMy ram is 8gb but 3.44 used i don't know how tk fix it i try in msconfig but its say cannot apply original bootMy windows is windows 11 acer aspire es1 420Theres any solutions?...
  6. my laptops os is using too much ram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my laptops os is using too much ram: i have an asus strix g15 16gb ram rtx 2060 and an i7 10750h and the system os is uasing waaaay to much ram while i have nothing open at all i thought that mayb is just the laptops model so one day my firend got the same laptop model and hes using wayyy les ram than me when...
  7. my laptops os is using too much ram

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my laptops os is using too much ram: i have an asus strix g15 16gb ram rtx 2060 and an i7 10750h and the system os is uasing waaaay to much ram while i have nothing open at all i thought that mayb is just the laptops model so one day my firend got the same laptop model and hes using wayyy les ram than me when...
  8. What is using all my RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is using all my RAM?: [ATTACH] I have 16gb of RAM so idk why it's at 97%. It keeps doing this. https://preview.redd.it/oydle2k8zls51.png?width=663&format=png&auto=webp&s=266c856f02eff4f0fe169451a5c37cb8e463b731...
  9. My computer is not using all of the RAM on my computer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My computer is not using all of the RAM on my computer.: Hello, I'm user of X5650 System. Im not english so my post is not good at read, i beg your pardon. I'm using 14gb ram (2GB X 5EA + 4GB 1EA with same clock) I'm using Dual mornitor and Primo Ramdisk server edition (2GB dynamic? kinetic? ramdisk) When I run game that using a...
  10. My computer is not using all of the RAM on my computer.

in Windows 10 Support
    My computer is not using all of the RAM on my computer.: Hello, I'm user of X5650 System. Im not english so my post is not good at read, i beg your pardon. I'm using 14gb ram (2GB X 5EA + 4GB 1EA with same clock) I'm using Dual mornitor and Primo Ramdisk server edition (2GB dynamic? kinetic? ramdisk) When I run game that using a...