Windows 10: Has this computer ever been upgraded to Win 10?

Discus and support Has this computer ever been upgraded to Win 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I know this is going to sound pretty dorky, but this computer has not been used much over the past year. Prior to expiration of the free upgrade to 10,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Odysseus, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Odysseus Win User

Has this computer ever been upgraded to Win 10?

I know this is going to sound pretty dorky, but this computer has not been used much over the past year. Prior to expiration of the free upgrade to 10, I think I upgraded this computer, but was accustomed to using 8.1 and so reverted after the upgrade.

I now want to move to 10 and so am requesting guidance on the process.

Firstly, how do I confirm that the upgrade was performed? There is a folder called Windows.old, but it is dated 11/4/2017 and this confuses me because the upgrade would have been in 2016. Would such a folder (by Windows as I sure didn't do it) be renamed for some reason?

Assuming that it has been, what are the next steps to move to 10? I don't think I have and install DVD's (if they are used anymore)

:)

Odysseus, Nov 12, 2017

2. Upgraded. Ever since my computer has been freezing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please try methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

• Open the Task manager.
      Here's a tip: Press Ctrl + Shift +
      Esc.

• Click File >
      Run New Task

• Make sure you have a check mark beside "Create this task with administrative privileges".

• Type CMD.

• Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

• dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

• sfc /scannow

• powershell

• Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

Method 2: Try to repair your Windows 10 and check if it helps.

• Press the Power button at the right bottom of your screen,
      press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and click
      Restart

• Click on Troubleshoot.

• Click on Advanced options.

• Click on Startup repair.

• Follow the on screen instructions

Hope this helps. Please reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Vardhaman Shetti, Nov 12, 2017
  3. 1bugotti Win User
    Upgraded. Ever since my computer has been freezing

I'm running pro tools hd 10 on my hp probook 4430s and recently today I upgraded my windows to 10.

ever since while in protools working it freezes in which I lose my work and I'm forced to restart it. what do I need to do to run my computer faster,

1bugotti, Nov 12, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

All you need to do is go and do the upgrade to the latest version of win10 its letting people upgrade so there should be no problem just hit upgrade Download Windows 10

Samuria, Nov 12, 2017
  5. Odysseus Win User
    Thanks. Even though I am still using 8.1?

Odysseus, Nov 12, 2017
  6. Odysseus Win User
    This is very embarrassing. I rarely use this computer and was thinking that I had reverted to 8.1. Just ran winver and it tells me that it is 10.

Thanks for the reply. Will slink away now.

Odysseus, Nov 12, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Still do the above update to the latest version of 10 its only been out a few weeks so yours will be way behind you wont loose any data about 2 hours to do

Samuria, Nov 12, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

I would wait at least another month.

As you said you hardly use it, so no point in rushing the update.

AddRAM, Nov 12, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    Consider tuning up the computer to reduce any unexpected problems during the upgrade:
    1) BIOS and drivers
    2) Dell diagnostics

Support for XPS 8700 | Drivers & downloads | Dell US
    Diagnostics

3) Open disk management and post an image into the thread:
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

4) Consider making a backup image in case you encounter upgrade problems:
    Macrium: Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    5) Place the backup image onto another drive or into the cloud
    6) Make a brand new restore point before the upgrade

zbook, Nov 12, 2017
  10. Odysseus Win User
    There's good news and bad news. The bad is that I went ahead and started the update before seeing AddRam's and zbook's posts.

The good news is that it seems to have gone well. Keeping my fingers crossed and will begin the tuneup and backup as suggested. I take it that I should tuneup first then backup?

Or should I backup first in case of encountering problems during tuneup, then do another backup after the tuneup?

Odysseus, Nov 12, 2017
  11. Samuria Win User
    If it's working well I would leave it and just do a disk image backup

Samuria, Nov 12, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    In the left lower corner search type: winver > on the pop up about windows view the version and build and post into the thread

The backup can be done anytime. Once you have a backup you can upgrade it.

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Has this computer ever been upgraded to Win 10? - Similar Threads - Has computer ever

2. The computer has been hacked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer has been hacked: Computer has been hacked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-computer-has-been-hacked/09b7c204-3752-407d-885c-4b2047cf5bee
  3. The computer has been hacked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The computer has been hacked: Computer has been hacked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-computer-has-been-hacked/09b7c204-3752-407d-885c-4b2047cf5bee
  4. Computer has been hacked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Computer has been hacked: There is a rambler.ru account on my computer that I didn't add and my microsoft account got deleted and I was wondering how I could get this account off my computer I tried a clean install of windows but it didn't work....
  5. Computer has been wiped

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer has been wiped: I had my computer in a pawn shop long stort short it was past due and the guy had to get into it because it was password protected. So he had it wiped.used a trial version of avast cool I thought. Now I bought the updated premium version of avast now I cant even get a...
  6. Has an answer ever been found?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Has an answer ever been found?: Long standing problem for many people - awaking PC from sleep, and the inability to rejoin the net. This happens on all my PC's - both Ethernet and Wireless connected ones. Sometimes no problem, other times it fails. On the wireless ones, they often show the connected icon at...
  7. Ever since Windows 10 the local network has been cripple

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ever since Windows 10 the local network has been cripple: Ì am afraid I have a sticky question. Since quite some time i have two desktops and a laptop on windows 10 latest update and the local private area network has never functioned properly. Often they can't even see their own shares and not the other computer(s). One computer...
  8. Ever since I got this all-in-one computer, Windows 10 has been very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ever since I got this all-in-one computer, Windows 10 has been very slow: Ever since I got this all-in-one computer, Windows 10 has been very slow. I tried a number of solutions: 1. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4002019/windows-10-improve-pc-performance - Everything here that's applicable. 2. Running dism and system checker - no...
  9. DVD drive has been disabled on PC and laptop by Win 10 upgrades

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive has been disabled on PC and laptop by Win 10 upgrades: I've seen previous threads on this which you've now locked, but they don't provide answers. Both my laptop and PC have lost their DVD drives following Win 10 updates. Both used to work fine, but now when I put a DVD in the tray, it says please insert DVD and when I click...
  10. Check to see if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Check to see if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10: Hi all I have a burning question that I have not been able to find an answer to... How do I find out if a computer has been previously upgraded to Windows 10 from 7/8/8.1 and has a digital licence (after it has been restored to the original OS)? I've been in touch...