Windows 10: Have been trying to do automatic update for months :(

Discus and support Have been trying to do automatic update for months :( in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I haven't been able to update windows 10 since around April. I'm running Windows 10 version 1803 (OS Build 15063.1155). Windows tries to update, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Marthurvin, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Have been trying to do automatic update for months :(

I haven't been able to update windows 10 since around April. I'm running Windows 10 version 1803 (OS Build 15063.1155). Windows tries to update, but after restarting and trying to update it freezes at 49% or 52% and gives me an error message saying that it's going to restore it to the previous version of windows because the update failed. As if that wasn't annoying enough, when windows restarts there's a popup that can't be ignored asking if you want to restart now or in an hour. By manipulating various windows update options I am sometimes able to push it back a few days, but no more than that. Eventually it basically only gives me the option to delay it an hour, and that same incredibly invasive/intrusive popup comes up regardless of what I'm doing, which is incredibly frustrating because it takes focus and if you were doing something full screen it minimizes it as well. This is frustrating because it means that I cannot reliably do anything that takes more than an hour on my PC for fear of it arbitrarily restarting.

I have gone to windows techs via live chat 3x with this issue. The first two told me that it was a known issue and began troubleshooting it. The first one had me delete all my temp folders etc (after confirming that my computer was compatible with the update). Eventually he had me attempt to download and run the MediaCreationTool1803 file from Microsoft. When I tried to run it it failed to run and said I needed to restart. Since restarting would of course disconnect us the, the rep gave me a case number and a link to return to support chat and had me restart my pc.

Upon returning to live chat a few minutes later, I wound up with a different rep. He too said that it was a known issue, and began more or less the same steps as the previous rep. When the file failed to open again (even though I'd rebooted), he took control of my pc (w/ permission) and downloaded EN_US Win10_1803 Home SL, Home, Pro, & Edu 64 Bit. This was a rather large (4.5ish gb if I remember correctly) file and the MS server he was downloading it from was slow, so it was going to take 20 minutes. He gave me a link to reconnect to live chat after the download finished.

That link didn't work, so I reused the link that the first guy had given me. A third op tried to help me. He didn't seem familiar with the problem, and did a lot of troubleshooting that was somewhat redundant to what the previous reps had done. Eventually he ran the EN_US Win10_1803 Home SL, Home, Pro, & Edu 64 Bit file. He had me disable my antivirus, firewall, etc., checked permissions, checked compatibility, the whole 9 yards. This was very time consuming but eventually he ran the 1803 file and attmpted to update my windows 10 which was the whole point. The update process disconnected us (as anticipated), but it failed just like previous attempts and restored windows to the pre-update version. It gave the following error:

0xC1900101 - 0x30018

The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error doing SYSREP operation.

I've done additional troubleshooting (tbh I've done months of troubleshooting on and off; this has gotten rather annoying) and did notice the following under Device Manager:

Device Manager

*Memory Technology Devices

*Realtek PCIE CardReader --> This has a yellow exclamation mark indicating an error. When I check device status, it says:

"The driver for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48) Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

When I click check for solutions, literally nothing happens. When I automatically check for updated drivers, it tells me that I have the most up to date driver for it. This does not appear to be affecting my PC in any way (unless it's the reason I can't update).

Driver version: 6.1.7601.28104

Digital Signature: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

I do not believe that this has anything to do with the problem, it's just something that I noticed. The driver seems to have been intentionally blocked by windows, and from what I can tell it's been that way for the better part of a year but automatic updates were working just fine until about 4 months ago.

ANY help with this would be welcomed. I've seen and tried all kinds of different things from across the internet but nothing has made the slightest difference.

:)

Marthurvin, Jul 7, 2018

2. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Jul 7, 2018
  3. jbunch07 Win User
    Vista Automatic Updating Error

Resolution Suggestion:

# To resolve this problem, make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started..

A simple solution but one that works in most circumstances!

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html- source *Smile Have been trying to do automatic update for months :( :) hope that helps.

jbunch07, Jul 7, 2018
  4. Have been trying to do automatic update for months :(

IE7 Is Coming This Month...Are you Ready?

The final release of IE7 will be released this month. A few weeks after it will be put available for download it will be added to the list of automatic updates.
    Improvements over IE6 can be found in layout and security while keeping compatibility. Webmasters will still have to check their sites for compatibility as problems may occur. Steps to ensure compatibility can be found here.
    Of course you won't be forced to upgrade, if you don't want IE7 you can simply remove it from the automatic updates list and update it when you are ready.

Source: MSDN

DanTheBanjoman, Jul 7, 2018
Thema:

Have been trying to do automatic update for months :(

1. Have been trying to do automatic update for months :( - Similar Threads - been trying automatic

2. Windows update 22H2 - been trying to upgrade for 6 months

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update 22H2 - been trying to upgrade for 6 months: I am at my wits end with this.It seems I am left with little alternative option than to create an ISO and re-install windows from scratch. I really need this update to get the latest versions of photoshop and Lightroom - without it I can't install them.Each time the download...
  3. Windows update 22H2 - been trying to upgrade for 6 months

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update 22H2 - been trying to upgrade for 6 months: I am at my wits end with this.It seems I am left with little alternative option than to create an ISO and re-install windows from scratch. I really need this update to get the latest versions of photoshop and Lightroom - without it I can't install them.Each time the download...
  4. Windows update 22H2 - been trying to upgrade for 6 months

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I have been for the last 2 months 15 tries to put in an update that microsoft sent. It will...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have been for the last 2 months 15 tries to put in an update that microsoft sent. It will...: I have been trying for the last 2 months to install an update that Microsoft sent my New HP Pavilion. It will not install. I have tried 15 times. Error comes up that said "something went wrong but not to worry we will return the computer the way it was". I have taken my...
  6. I have been for the last 2 months 15 tries to put in an update that microsoft sent. It will...

I have been for the last 2 months 15 tries to put in an update that microsoft sent. It will...: I have been trying for the last 2 months to install an update that Microsoft sent my New HP Pavilion. It will not install. I have tried 15 times. Error comes up that said "something went wrong but not to worry we will return the computer the way it was". I have taken my...
  7. I been having a problem for a month now

I been having a problem for a month now: I've tried everything except restoring my PC to factory settings! There's an update my computer keeps telling me to restart and I have been restarting my PC I restarted it a half of a dozen times and it still tells me to restart. Or it'll shut down and restart on its own....
  8. Haven't been able to download windows updates in months and have been unable to download...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Haven't been able to download windows updates in months and have been unable to download...: Whenever i try to download window updates, i get these 2 error codes 0x800f0805 0x800703f9 If anyone can find the solution i will literally paypal you $20 im so frustrated submitted by /u/sucadico [link] [comments]...
  9. Been having bluescreens for months

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Been having bluescreens for months: It started happening about 6 months ago. Between then and now i have replaced multiple parts that seemed to fix the problem for a while. Like MOBO, Ram 5 weeks ago i reinstalled windows because i kept getting bluescreens every 20 seconds, safe mode was fine. Now it's...
  10. I can't update and have been trying for months!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't update and have been trying for months!: I've already asked this question and have never gotten an answer. I even provided the archive files that were asked for earlier this month. For heaven sakes, if you can't tell me how to update to the newest version of windows AT LEAST tell me how to stop Windows from trying...