Windows 10: Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive

Discus and support Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Pro. I am using BitLocker on a non-system drive and not on my system drive. I am not planning on using it on my system drive. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jason P, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Jason P Win User

Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive

I am running Windows 10 Pro. I am using BitLocker on a non-system drive and not on my system drive. I am not planning on using it on my system drive. I do not have a TPM compatible computer.

Once I log into Windows, I would like to be prompted for the password to unlock my data drive. I did have this running correctly before I started having problems with my computer and had to do a clean install of Windows 10. I have searched for hours but can't find the article that walked me through how to do this.

I found a ton of articles that don't fit my situation because I don't want to auto-unlock, use a USB key or encrypt my system drive.

I would be very grateful if anyone can help me with this.

Thanks,

:)

Jason P, Nov 29, 2015
  2. RNH98027 Win User

Assigning bitlocker passwords in Windows 10 to fixed and removable drives

After converting from Win 7 to 10, I lost bitlocker access until I discovered how to use GPEdit.msc to re-enable the bitlocker password prompt when a removable drive is inserted. Also figured out how to use "manage-bde.exe" at the command prompt to bitlocker
    encrypt a new removable drive and open a bitlocked fixed data drive. However to apply a custom password with manage-bde, the command line prompts the user to input the password, but does not allow any input. Quite frustrating! Otherwise I am able to open
    the bitlocked drives (both fixed data drives and removable drives) using the automatically generated long numerical "Recovery Password" but I would rather just use an assigned password that I can memorize. Can anyone tell me how to get the command line prompt
    for the password when running "Manage-bde" to accept user input?

RNH98027, Nov 29, 2015
  3. How to use Bitlocker to encrypt (and automatically decrypt) a single but partitioned hard-drive (C and D partitions)?

You encrypt the C: drive.

Then when you encrypt the D: drive you select the option that it is "auto-unlocked" at boot.

That way when you boot up, you will get an initial prompt for the BitLocker password and then you'll get your Windows logon.

The only way you'll accomplish getting it to unlock at Windows logon is if your system has a TPM chip.

On my system I don't have a TPM so I have to enter my BitLocker password and then my Windows password at boot.

Solar-Eclipse, Nov 29, 2015
  4. Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive

This should help: BitLocker - Turn On for Fixed Data Drives in Windows 8

garydexter, Nov 30, 2015
  5. Jason P Win User
    Thanks so much garydexter for replying! Unfortunately I had already found this article. It only discusses turning encryption on and off and shows how to manually unlock the drive. However, I need to find out how to be prompted on login to unlock the drive without having to do it manually.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Jason P, Nov 30, 2015
  6. As far as I am aware you need to try and access the drive before it prompts for a login.
    That's the "official" way it's supposed to work anyway.

garydexter, Nov 30, 2015
  7. KSilerJr Win User
    Here is how I was able to get the system to prompt me for the BitLocker password each time I logged on.

My system has 2 drives one for the OS which is not encrypted with BitLocker and a DATA drive that is fully encrypted with BitLocker. What I wanted was for the system to prompt me for the password each time I booted the system and logged in. Here are the steps that allow this to happen.

1) Create a file in your Windows\System32 folder called UNLOCK.CMD using notepad with these lines in it
    @echo off & cls
    echo .
    manage-bde.exe -unlock -password D:

2) Create a Task Scheduler that uses the Trigger "At log on".
    On the General Tab make sure to check "Run wit highest privileges"
    Action "Start a Program"
    Browse to C:\Windows\System32 and select Unlock.CMD

3) Now Restart your system and a DOS window should popup asking for the password.

Hope this helps others.

KSilerJr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive

1. Have Bitlocker Prompt for Password on Non-System Drive - Similar Threads - Bitlocker Prompt Password

2. Hard drive crashed non system have multiple disks on system image.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive crashed non system have multiple disks on system image.: Is it possible to recover just the drive that crashed from the system image? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-crashed-non-system-have-multiple-disks/f09290c9-287e-4834-b321-706792f05a1c
  3. Hard drive crashed non system have multiple disks on system image.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive crashed non system have multiple disks on system image.: Is it possible to recover just the drive that crashed from the system image? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-crashed-non-system-have-multiple-disks/f09290c9-287e-4834-b321-706792f05a1c
  4. Hard drive crashed non system have multiple disks on system image.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Bitlocker prevents modifying/deletion from non-bitlocker drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker prevents modifying/deletion from non-bitlocker drives: I accidentally turned on bitlocker for one drive c: and now I can't modify or delete anything on other drives d:, e:. No "delete" context menu option is available for any files on d: or e: and deleting through the "del" command says "Access denied". I didn't modify the file...
  6. Bitlocker password prompt on wrong screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker password prompt on wrong screen: I have two monitors with the same resolution connected to a desktop PC running Windows 10 with latest updates. The main screen is in front of me, the secondary screen is standing angled on the right side. The Bitlocker password screen I don't have TPM which shows during...
  7. Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives: hi, I have tried to recover windows due to an operating system corruption. Then when I was trying to log in I was said that there is a bitlocker encryption. I was able to recover that by logging into Microsoft account. However, still my non-os drives D: and E: are...
  8. Bitlocker encrypted drive not prompting for password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker encrypted drive not prompting for password: I have a bitlocker encrypted file named myfile.vhd. On my PC when I double click it, it warns that it's encrypted, then prompts for a password. I copied the file to my wife's computer and when I double click it, or right click and select "Mount" from the context menu a...
  9. If i turn off Bitlocker on a non-system drive, will it require the password? (otherwise...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    If i turn off Bitlocker on a non-system drive, will it require the password? (otherwise...: I just encrypted a non-system hard drive (D drive) in my PC using Bitlocker. That drive is now protected by a password and i also got the recovery key saved somewhere. If i decide to decrypt the D drive, will i need to enter the password? Because if it's not needed, then it...
  10. How to Use Bitlocker on Only Non System Drive and without TPM

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to Use Bitlocker on Only Non System Drive and without TPM: I want to use Bitlocker on my Non System E Drive without TPM. I read somewhere to do the following for without TPM: " Under Local Computer Policy navigate to Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Bit Locker Drive Encryption \ Operating...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. automatically bitlock disable cmd