Windows 10: Have files/shortcuts saved on Desktop always showed file extensions?

Discus and support Have files/shortcuts saved on Desktop always showed file extensions? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. Last night I saved a draft Word letter on my desktop - I'll save it in its proper place when I'm happy with it. It only has a very short... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Taffy078, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Taffy078 Win User

Have files/shortcuts saved on Desktop always showed file extensions?

Hello.

Last night I saved a draft Word letter on my desktop - I'll save it in its proper place when I'm happy with it. It only has a very short name - the intended recipient - so I was interested to see it there this morning with the name Fred.docx underneath the Word icon.

Hovering over the others show files extensions on all of them.

I don't feel silly asking here whether it's always been like this - I've never noticed file extensions in the names before! Do I need to visit a optician? *Shock*Shock*Shock

:)

Taffy078, Jan 11, 2018

2. Desktop shortcuts and files disappearing when dragging between monitors

I am using Windows 10 on my laptop and have dual monitors. I have several shortcuts and a few files on my desktop which I like to keep displayed on my main screen - which is not my laptop screen. When I create new desktop shortcuts or save new files
    to my desktop they always save to my laptop screen and I have to drag them over. Sometimes when I drag the new file or shortcut back over to my main screen everything on my desktop disappears. It looks like I have selected everything and flung them into the
    abyss. I have to restart Windows Explorer in Task Manager to get them to reappear. This happens almost weekly and maybe even back when I had Windows 8, but I'm not sure. There are now a few shortcuts missing from my screen that are still showing in File
    Manager/Desktop. Currently, when I drag a new file and everything disappears, those missing shortcuts are displaying and everything else disappears. It now seems as though I have 2 different screen profiles. Could this be happening because I use Stardock
    Fences or does this happen to other users?

KariTaylor, Jan 11, 2018
  3. Problem while saving a files using 'Save as' on Windows 10

Thanks for your effort Yashwanth.

But I can not agree with you, the click on "Save as" should always open the 'Browse' window redirected to the path of the original file you opened. As I use Windows 10 myself I did test it on my machine and it does what it should do, redirect me, in the
    browse window of save as, to the location of the original file.

This works even with a Shortcut, in case you have an Excel file Shortcut on your desktop which original location is in a Mapped network drive, deep down in some folder structure. You open it, change it, hit save as and your browse window will show you the
    real exact location where your Shortcut is referring to. Even after saving multiple files in different locations all over the company network before.

Thanks a lot your help is much appreciated.

Jannis

JannisHerbst, Jan 11, 2018
  4. Taffy078 Win User

PS Have you cleaned up and removed all the pre-2018 threads from our profiles?

Taffy078, Jan 11, 2018
  5. hiphopper Win User
    The setting under Folder options let's you decide whether or not to show file extensions. It defaults to not show extensions on newly installed Windows 10.

If you didn't change it I'm not sure how it would have changed. Do you have a shared computer?

hiphopper, Jan 11, 2018
  6. Taffy078 Win User
    Thanks for that. I've changed the setting and am happy again!

Perhaps it happened when I had to do a Clean Install after what one MS-badged employee referred as a Test version of Fall Creators was installed last October.

Taffy078, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Have files/shortcuts saved on Desktop always showed file extensions? - Similar Threads - files shortcuts saved

2. How to prevent a suggested file extension from showing when saving a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to prevent a suggested file extension from showing when saving a file: When saving a file, I hope to make a file extension not showing in the "File name" box. That's because I often need to change the extension. Since a file extension is shown or selectable in the "Save as type" box, I think it's redundant and unnecessary.I set Explorer to show...
  3. How to prevent a suggested file extension from showing when saving a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent a suggested file extension from showing when saving a file: When saving a file, I hope to make a file extension not showing in the "File name" box. That's because I often need to change the extension. Since a file extension is shown or selectable in the "Save as type" box, I think it's redundant and unnecessary.I set Explorer to show...
  4. How to prevent a suggested file extension from showing when saving a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files: A customer uses the Windows Snipping Tool often.He'll capture something and when he clicks on "Save As" he'll see the default file name:Capture.PNGHe then changes it to:Project 11.2022Even though the "Save as type" is .PNG, the file is saved as .2022 and obviously won't open...
  6. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files: A customer uses the Windows Snipping Tool often.He'll capture something and when he clicks on "Save As" he'll see the default file name:Capture.PNGHe then changes it to:Project 11.2022Even though the "Save as type" is .PNG, the file is saved as .2022 and obviously won't open...
  7. File Name Overrides Chosen "Save as type" Extension When Saving Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Files Have .lalo Extensions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Files Have .lalo Extensions: After a virus attack image files converted to lalo files. Ex; “ DSC_0008.JPG.lalo “ . Is it possible to recover these files ? [Original Title: lalo files] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/files-have-lalo-extensions/9c7c6c62-3938-4aef-a251-29eae620200b
  9. Internet Download Save-As Dialog Box only shows files that have the same extension as the...

Internet Download Save-As Dialog Box only shows files that have the same extension as the...: Win 10 OS: When downloading on Chrome, Firefox, IE11, and Bing users can save-as and browse to choose the file location. While browsing, not all of the folder contents are shown. Only the files that have the same file extension as the download file are shown. Often I have...
  10. Shortcut file referent does not include file extension

Shortcut file referent does not include file extension: What options or file extension settings and registry entries might result in shortcut files being produced without the file extension included in the shortcut reference? Is a direct edit of the shortcut manually to add the proper extension the only way to fix these...