Windows 10: Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10?

Discus and support Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm not too happy with 10 and wanted to roll back to 8.1 but when I tried everything worked perfectly till the last moment when I was left with a black... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stranger7007, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10?

I'm not too happy with 10 and wanted to roll back to 8.1 but when I tried everything worked perfectly till the last moment when I was left with a black screen. I gave windows Tech permission to access my PC and they tried it - same result.
    I was called back and told to call then again and ask for a repair which would make it right.
    However when I did the person I spoke to today (Online Chat) had never heard of a repair and said I couldn't roll back as my online upgrade was version 1551 and I would have needed version 10204 to roll back.
    I can't find either of these versions with google search.
    Anyone able to tell me what's going on?
    Thanks

:)

stranger7007, Dec 3, 2015
  2. otooleg Win User

I have upgraded to the latest version of windows and now my PC will not boot up - even with Windows 10 in the DVD Drive - any suggestions?

Help! I installed the new version of windows and now I can no longer see windows at all - it goes direct to the BIOS. I even tried connecting a boot disk via an external dvd reader and it wont even see the boot disk? Any suggestions? It say insert disk and
    press any key to continue and then just hangs?

otooleg, Dec 3, 2015
  3. I have upgraded to the latest version of windows and now my PC will not boot up - even with Windows 10 in the DVD Drive - any suggestions?

Hi,

To resolve your query regarding your Windows 10 computer, we suggest that you perform the
    Startup Repair.

To do this, you may follow the steps below:

Boot your computer into recovery environment.

1. Turn your computer on and off three times.

Note: Make sure to turn your computer
    off after seeing the Windows logo.

2. After the third time, Windows 10 will boot into
    diagnostic mode

3. On the recovery screen, click Advance options.

Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10? [​IMG]

4. Click Troubleshoot.

5. Click Advance options.

6. Then, click the Startup Repair.

Keep us informed about the issue so we can assist you further.

Joseph Ban, Dec 3, 2015
  4. fdegrove Win User

Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10?

Hi,

The most current version is 1511 (OS Build 10586.17). The previous version is 10240.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 3, 2015
  5. Seems like he does not know what he is talking about wonder where he had it written down, either that or he needs glasses.
    The version you want is the one posted by fdegrove

hTconeM9user, Dec 3, 2015
  6. strollin Win User
    I'm guessing the 1551 that the OP posted was a typo and the MS Tech told him the correct version of 1511.

@OP - Did you backup your system prior to doing the upgrade? For some, the rollback feature doesn't work, I can't explain why. You may need to restore Win 8.1 from a backup or re-install the OS from install disk or do a factory restore.

Is the computer currently operational or not?

strollin, Dec 3, 2015
  7. Cliff Win User
    Here's my take on this. At this point, I don't know if the OP simply mis-typed the numbers or if the person he was
    chatting with made the mistake. That is however a moot point.
    My understanding is that the November Fall Update would not install over 10240 until 30 days had passed from when you originallyupdated from Win 7 or 8 . The reason for this was to allow one to roll-back to your original OS.
    Once you had updated to the fall update (Ver. 1511 Build 10586), you could no longer roll-back to Win 7/8.
    At this stage , the only way back is to use a recovery partition if one exists, restore a back-up if you made one, using media providedwith the machine, or by down-loading 8.1 from MS site and re-installing.
    Now this is assuming that the OP actually does wish to return to 8.1 as he stated.

Cliff, Dec 3, 2015
  8. Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10?

Thank you all for your input. Seems I have to accept that Microsofts' promise that I could roll back was false.
    Actually I was finding that recent updates have improved 10 and I was starting to think I would like to keep it anyway when, working on it the mornng, I suddenly found that clicking on the windows button didn't bring up what it used to. Instead of settings etc I just got a page with 5 large icons ( or should that be Apps?) for mail etc.
    So that's decided me to get an expert in to save my files and reload 8.1 - hopefully.

stranger7007, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10?

1. Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10? - Similar Threads - upgraded wrong version

2. Wrong version of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wrong version of windows 10: I just purchased windows 10 pro from the Microsoft store. I received my product key by email and the link to install windows 10 Pro. After installation was complete, my computer shows that windows 10 Home edition was installed. My receipt from Microsoft even shows that i...
  3. wrong Win 10 version

wrong Win 10 version: Was running Win 10 Home, bought Win 10 Pro at MS Store. Download & install resulted in Win 10 Enterprise on my PC. Cannot activate and don't want the enterprise version. How can I get pro installed?...
  4. Purchased wrong upgrade version of Windows 10, can I return for right version?

Purchased wrong upgrade version of Windows 10, can I return for right version?: I purchased and have a product key for Windows 10 Home upgrade but then noticed I have Windows 7 Professional, and the Media Creation Tool downloaded Windows 10 Pro upgrade. How can I return my Home upgrade version for a Pro upgrade version?...
  5. Windows 10 wrong version

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 wrong version: I had upgraded my windows 8 to windows 10 beta when that was available. Windows 10 works fine but my problem is when I installed windows 10 it installed 32 bit. My PC is a 64 bit machine. How can i correct my windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit? Is there a way to upgrade to 64 bit...
  6. Wrong windows version, can i upgrade

Wrong windows version, can i upgrade: so i recently rebuilt my pc from the ground up, and i installed the wrong version of windows (i had pro, i installed home). Can i upgrade to pro so my product key can be moved without reinstalling windows?...
  7. Wrong Windows 10 Version?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Wrong Windows 10 Version?: My father-in-law upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise but he is getting a Windows Activation error with the wrong product key. I'm guessing he had a Windows Home version but somehow upgraded to Enterprise. How can I get him back to Windows 10 Home? He no longer has his product...
  8. upgraded to the newest version but did it wrong

upgraded to the newest version but did it wrong: Hi there, I recently upgraded my 1607 version to the latest version of Windows but I didn't do it correctly, I did it how one of your techs online showed me how to do it. I did not create a back up nor a bootable copy of the Windows I was installing etc we simply put the...
  9. Have I upgraded to the wrong version?

Have I upgraded to the wrong version?: Hi there, I've just bought a new laptop: a Lenovo Z51, Windows 8.1, 8GB RAM. I've immediately upgraded it to Windows 10. I had a few problems on the way, but I thought I'd finally got there. (One thing I haven't sorted is activation, but I'll contact the company I...
  10. Wrong version of Windows 10

Wrong version of Windows 10: Hello, I have installed Windows 10 build 10.130 Pro. I should have installed another version, I am upgrading from Windows 7 Home Premium Dutch. I would like the stay at Dutch. At this moment it seems impossible to activate my Windows 10/ I presume because I have made wrong...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i upgraded to wrong version of windows

2. upgraded to wrong windows 10 version