Windows 10: Have lost ability to edit copied material in a Reply in Win Live mail

Discus and support Have lost ability to edit copied material in a Reply in Win Live mail in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, I was not able to help a friend with this today: she has partially lost the ability to edit (to use her cursor in) her mail program online in... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by ceemes, Jan 29, 2017.

1. ceemes Win User

Have lost ability to edit copied material in a Reply in Win Live mail

Hi,
    I was not able to help a friend with this today: she has partially lost the ability to edit (to use her cursor in) her mail program online in Windows 10. This problem applies specifically to composing a Reply while showing/editing the original message. She can, of course, physically copy the referent material into the message box, but that is a pain. Any ideas? *Smile

:)

ceemes, Jan 29, 2017

2. lost the ability to highlight material and copy in internet exployer - can't copy to an e:mail??? Why? How to correct????

In the past could highlight material and copy to an e:mail or highlight a URL when on a web page - recently quit working! Did I inadvertently do something to change this How do I correct it!????

NancyCollinsRN, Jan 29, 2017
  3. lost the ability to highlight material and copy in internet exployer - can't copy to an e:mail??? Why? How to correct????

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I can understand how frustrating it could be when things go unusual. I will certainly help you.

Please follow the below methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

Try to Remove or Add-ons from your PC. Check if it helps. Refer the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons#ie=ie-11

Method 2:

Run Internet Explorer as Administrator. Follow the below steps:

• Right click on Internet Explorer icon.
    • Select Run as Administrator.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to run the Microsoft Security scanner for the issue and check.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Safety Scanner - Windows Defender Security Intelligence

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner
    again. While scanning the hard drive if any bad sectors are found, the scanner tries to repair that sector, any data available on that might be lost.

Please refer the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Deepak..Raghav, Jan 29, 2017
  4. Have lost ability to edit copied material in a Reply in Win Live mail

While this may not be the root cause of your issue it could be related.

Windows Live Mail has been shelved and its ability to work with Microsoft accounts was announced several months back. Here in Canada plenty of the people I support use it for Bell mail, which is no longer Microsoft mail, and it can be very hit and miss. I moved them either back to Web based mail or to Thunderbird.

It could be with the end of support, which was January 2017, Microsoft Windows code may not, and I am just supposing, be as integrated as it once was.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-essentials

Caledon Ken, Jan 29, 2017
  5. ceemes Win User
    M-m-m. Good thinking. And I am sorry that I led you astray. Sue uses Outlook live.com mail online. That is where the problem is. Obviously, my term, Windows Live Mail, referenced a wrong app. which is part of Win 10? or left over from 8.1 and earlier? and how do we differentiate the Mail program that is part of Win 10 on a PC, which I really don't like?
    Muddled,

ceemes, Jan 30, 2017
  6. All good questions, one that should have been asked by marketers before they sent us down this rabbit hole.

I will try - Windows Live Mail is part of Essentials - it is a desktop program and can get mail from any service. It was a replacement, I think, for the free version of Outlook Express that came with XP.

Then there is Windows Mail app - part of Windows 10 and the built in mail app. Again able to go and get mail from any service.

Then there is the Outlook app which you can load on your Windows 10, Andriod or iOS phone. You get at store. Again, it gets mail from any service.

The there is Office 2016 - Outlook - this is the full blown desktop mail client.

and finally Outlook.com - which is the rebranded and improved Hotmail. I think even they realized the name is confusing so I'm hearing it called Office 365 or at least we were switched to that template. Everyone with an msn, live hotmail or outlook domain can access their mail at Outlook.com.

I think you are saying she uses the default Windows 10 Mail app. If it has a big O in the icon it is the Outlook app.

Caledon Ken, Jan 30, 2017
  7. ceemes Win User
    Great exposition. Just what I was hoping for. Both Sue and I dislike the "default Windows 10 Mail app." I cannot quite remember whether I used the store app or simply did a shortcut from the site. I do have the "envelope and big O" as icons on the desktop.

Now I can definitively say that Sue's Edit problem is with the Outlook.com version of Microsoft mail.
    Thanks,

ceemes, Jan 30, 2017
  8. Have lost ability to edit copied material in a Reply in Win Live mail

Sorry, promise last question. Are you "leasing" office 365, where you pay $99 a year but get word, excel, powerpoint, etc on up to five PC's. If so you have Microsoft Office 20xx Outlook. (The icon is very close to the less functional app just because...)

If not, it is Outlook the app and at least if we identify then that may help someone to help.

For my microsoft.com accounts, I use the browser. The functionality in the browser is right at your finger tips, you can set up "Sweep" rules for newsletters, mail rules for handling junk or important stuff. In upper left corner are nine dots which give you full access to people, Calendar, Task and the entire Office suite.

9. ceemes Win User
    Yes, Sue uses her browser for microsoft.com accounts. This is where some of the functionality mysteriously disappeared. Hoping not to muddle again, but, yes, she is paying the $99. I believe that she is ignoring the mail app with Office. Or I am not seeing something.
    TIA,

ceemes, Jan 30, 2017
  10. Okay, so for sure this is browser based mail. So this icon on her desktop with the big O is a short cut and you can see the little short cut arrow on the Icon.

If this is true browser based mail the Sue needs to try another browser. What browser is Sue using?

Lets try Chrome or Firefox. I recommend either and I like the fact that I can use same browser on phone.

Please try and report if functionality changes. If she is using one of these try the other. I also noticed while we've been talking that MS released another cumulative update with a bunch of fixes.

11. ceemes Win User
    "Okay, so for sure this is browser based mail. So this icon on her desktop with the big O is a short cut and you can see the little short cut arrow on the Icon.

Sorry, a little confusion here. Just skip this post.

ceemes, Jan 30, 2017
  12. Caledon Ken, Jan 30, 2017
  13. ceemes Win User

Answering within the next-to-last contribution:

Okay, so for sure this is browser based mail. So this icon on her desktop with the big O is a short cut and you can see the little short cut arrow on the Icon. Yes, this is an Edge shortcut.

If this is true browser based mail the Sue needs to try another browser. What browser is Sue using? She is using Edge. I always include Chrome on the deskktop as an alternative in an emergency.

Lets try Chrome or Firefox. I recommend either and I like the fact that I can use same browser on phone. Point. Will suggest the option.

Please try and report if functionality changes. If she is using one of these try the other. I also noticed while we've been talking that MS released another cumulative update with a bunch of fixes. Oh, great. Will report back any changes.
    Thanks for being coherent,

ceemes, Jan 30, 2017
  14. ceemes Win User
    Sorry, I managed to do a duplicate here.

How does one delete a post? Sorry, I know that I am ' way off topic.

ceemes, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Have lost ability to edit copied material in a Reply in Win Live mail - Similar Threads - lost ability edit

2. Location of Live Mail folders in Win 10 Home edition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location of Live Mail folders in Win 10 Home edition.: I cannot find where the EML Windows Live Mail folders are stored on my Win 10 Home edition, homebuilt tower computer hard-disk. I read they supposed to be in the AppData\Local\Microsoft\file or at c: \users\default migrated\appdata\local\Microsoft\Widows folder, which was...
  3. Location of Live Mail folders in Win 10 Home edition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location of Live Mail folders in Win 10 Home edition.: I cannot find where the EML Windows Live Mail folders are stored on my Win 10 Home edition, homebuilt tower computer hard-disk. I read they supposed to be in the AppData\Local\Microsoft\file or at c: \users\default migrated\appdata\local\Microsoft\Widows folder, which was...
  4. Location of Live Mail folders in Win 10 Home edition.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. lost contacts in Windows live mail

in Windows 10 Customization
    lost contacts in Windows live mail: Hi, I recently changed password for my Microsoft account because it asked me too. recently got 1909 Since then my live mail has asked me for a password which I cannot remember. I assume that is my Microsoft accouunt password. It has now lost my contacts. At the moment...
  6. Live Mail lost e-mail

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Live Mail lost e-mail: windows live mail warns me that it has downloaded what appears to Phishing e-mail but where is it? I would like to look at it to confirm Windows Security opinion https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/live-mail-lost-e-mail/22a5206e-0957-418b-b177-b1451274686c"
  7. Lost ability to copy/paste into browser

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost ability to copy/paste into browser: I can no longer copy and paste from Word, Excel or PowerPoint into a browser (Chrome, Edge or Firefox) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-ability-to-copypaste-into-browser/30f624f0-fa96-47a8-b87e-9cb988f0b0d5
  8. Live Mail in Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Live Mail in Win 10: Win does not recognize Live Mail as a choice for .eml files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/live-mail-in-win-10/3f2a3fa5-58dc-4f33-a9b1-1ca3c05c1768"
  9. Win Live Mail lost some contacts

in Browsers and Email
    Win Live Mail lost some contacts: Desktop PC,Win 10,FF primary,IE secondary. I used Outlook mail on my XP laptop and liked it. When I got this PC I could not use Outlook and went to Live Mail. I do not find it to be user friendly like the old Outlook. Today I went to send an email and found about half of my...
  10. Win Live MAIL problem

in Browsers and Email
    Win Live MAIL problem: I have a new laptop with Win10 installed and ever since downloading WinLive Mail, Win Live Mail has given me problems. It spends hours saying it is upgrading, I cannot get rid of it unless, I shut the laptop down and remove the battery. This is ridiculous. Anyone else with...