Windows 10: Have problem running on battery since upgrade to 1703

Discus and support Have problem running on battery since upgrade to 1703 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Last week, I had a problem with Office 2013 (unlicensed product- 2nd time in 6 weeks). MS tried running repair and eventually had to re-install but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by keesadad, Nov 7, 2017.

1. keesadad Win User

Have problem running on battery since upgrade to 1703

Last week, I had a problem with Office 2013 (unlicensed product- 2nd time in 6 weeks). MS tried running
    repair and eventually had to re-install but also did 'repair' on Win 10. That was all completed around 5pm
    last Friday and things seemed to be normal. Received 'invitation' later Friday to upgrade to 1703 and started that process, which completed later in the evening.

Since that upgrade, when I unplug the computer, it immediately shuts down. Just will not run on battery, charging indicator say 96% charged, but not charging. Battery operation was fine before Friday, but have read through post relating to similar with 1703.

I spent a couple of hours with MS support, eventually agreed to roll back (to 1607), but that did not
    change the battery issue.

I'm beginning to suspect the ASUS computer (also having several other problems) but it's only 2+ years old. On the other hand, I've only had 1 of 7 MS support agents actually resolve any of my issues, so
    I'm 'still' leaning towards 1703.

I always appreciate help received here, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm listening.

Wayne ()

:)

keesadad, Nov 7, 2017

2. Battery Life on a Desktop Computer?

Do you have a Universal Power Supply attached to the PC? If so Windows might detect this as a battery.

If you're not running Creators Version update 1703 (check at Settings>System>Update) I would install and run

Media Creation Tool
    to upgrade to it now because this is solving many issues, and you'll need to upgrade anyway so this is the most stable way.

You could also make the bootable media for V.1703 there to do the
    Clean Install Windows 10
    which is the best possible install of Windows 10 that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given.

If you do have a UPS I would unplug it during upgrade or install along with all other peripherals. As Windows is reinstalled (while saving all files and Programs) it should not detect a battery again since this is not a known bug since one case in 2015
    here:
    Windows 10 bug warns for low battery on desktop computers - Myce.com

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 7, 2017
  3. nicknjenk Win User
    Problem with Nokia 5800 XM firmware V50.0.005

I have found a serious problem with battery life since upgrading. From a marginally acceptable 24 hours, I am now lucky if I get 8 hours. This problem needs addressing immediately by Nokia programmers and has been experienced by others. I am aware some
    people say their battery life has extended but my experience is the reverse. It has happended twice running now, so I am happy it is the upgrade that is the problem.

nicknjenk, Nov 7, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

zbook, Nov 7, 2017
  5. One other thing to check is the battery settings in the Advance Power Settings. (near the bottom of settings).

Caledon Ken, Nov 7, 2017
  6. keesadad Win User
    To zbook
    Thank you for your response. I went through some of the tests the day after (there are many, many of them) and wasn't sure which one(s) you were suggesting to run; there are NO specific battery tests.
    Meanwhile I have had numerous chats with Microsoft, with no results, and yesterday chatted with ASUS who sent me 2 files affecting the battery, one for the USB charger (for a new error that has shown up after MS asked me to upgrade to
    v1709). Unfortunately ASUS did not give me proper instructions for installing those two files, so that process is in limbo for now.
    Finally, I owe you an apology: I thought that clicking on the feedback icon would allow me to enter this reply, whereas the response from that entry implies that's not where I wanted to go to answer you. Won't do that again.

keesadad, Nov 10, 2017
  7. Did you check out battery settings in advance power options.

I believe Asus just sent you two exe's, right?

Caledon Ken, Nov 10, 2017
  8. keesadad Win User

To Caledon Ken
    Thanks for replying to my recent post (see my reply to zbook above for more details). Yes, ASUS sent me two files with skimpy instructions. I am supposed to uninstall the existing 'battery'(?) driver, then install the two files. The first file
    has a 'setup' option, but the second does not. I need to get in touch with them to get better instructions.

keesadad, Nov 10, 2017
  9. Great. I saw your response to zbook, that is why I asked if you checked Battery options under Advance Power settings.

Start > Settings > System . Power & sleep > Additional power options on right in full screen > click "change plan settings" beside plan being used > Change advanced power settings > near bottom of list in window that opens.

Usually to uninstall a driver, Right click Start > Device manager > find actually device you are trying to uninstall, right click. Uninstall option should be right there. If asked agree to remove software.

The setup to start install is one option they use, the other is likely just an exe that you double click on. See what Asus says but these are common practices.

10. keesadad Win User
    To Caledon Ken
    I spent an hour with ASUS support, came away even more confused.
    I answered you earlier that ASUS yesterday gave me links to 2 files for the battery issue. They are not .exe
    files but rather compressed. I extracted, that created subfolders and subfiles, but no instrucations. So I went back to them this morning, and, to my surprise, the agent said NOT to use them. Instead, he said to
    go to the device manager and..
    1-for the ACPI AC Adapter, update
    2- for the ACPI Compliant Method Battery, update.
    If they are both updated, delete #2.
    Why would I delete if it's already updated? Sorry, my logic tells me if I'm going to delete why would I bother to try updating; but then instead of having the ACD one(1) and Battery one(2) I'm left with no battery one. I tried to explain my confusion and it just got worse. Before I do that, if you can clarify, would appreciate.
    Thanks,

keesadad, Nov 10, 2017
  11. keesadad Win User
    Caledon Ken
    ps. after several chats with Microsoft, I'm now on win10 v1709, if that makes a difference

keesadad, Nov 10, 2017
  12. Give me 5. My wife has asus. I'll see what she has, if I can get in and she is on 1709.

One nice thing about windows is it will install drivers it needs, to my knowledge it won't delete drivers.

13. Have problem running on battery since upgrade to 1703

Okay, my wife's Asus Laptop has both those devices. Microsoft AC Adapter using a Microsoft driver dated 2006-06-21, version 10.0.16299.15 and the device name Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery using the same driver date and version.

The same for my HP laptop and my Dell. Now my Dell has two Control Method Batteries. I deleted one, scanned for new hardware and it re-installed.

My wife's laptop is using the Power4Gear Battery plan. What is your using?

Did you check Advance Power settings?

Start > Settings > System . Power & sleep > Additional power options on right in full screen > click "change plan settings" beside plan being used > Change advanced power settings > near bottom of list in window that opens.

Simple to do.

14. keesadad Win User
    Don't think I answered this: Yes I did, didn't see anything that related, in my opinion, to this battery issue. There were some quite low "actions if battery reaches" values, like 5% and 7%, but they are "standard", or at least I didn't set them
    like that. But that reminds me: I no longer got warnings about low battery, the laptop just turned off.

keesadad, Nov 10, 2017
  15. keesadad Win User
    mine are the same as hers. Interesting, does that point to a "worn down battery" ?
    re advance battery options see my post just prior.

keesadad, Nov 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Have problem running on battery since upgrade to 1703 - Similar Threads - problem running battery

2. Having some problems since upgrading to 10...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Having some problems since upgrading to 10...: I use my TV as a monitor. Resolution was way off since before I upgraded to 10, but circumvented it by scaling the text extra large. Now since upgrading, everything is too big. Text is blurry, icons too big, task bar goes below where I can see. I went to display settings...
  3. Screen problems since latest upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screen problems since latest upgrade: Since the latest upgrade of win 10, whenever a program is open, new screens pop up in back instead of in front and I don't know how to change this. For example if you click the properties of your printer, the screen comes up but in back of the settings window and you have to...
  4. Cursor Problems since 1703. No rollback, No fixable updates, problem persists

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor Problems since 1703. No rollback, No fixable updates, problem persists: Hello. Since the Fall Creator's update !703, the cursor has been acting very bad. First problems I noticed back in 1703 was that the cursor would hang or dissappear. Back then, rolling back was the only solution. Tried updating, reinstalling drivers, reinstalling computer,...
  5. Shutdown problems since upgrading to 1903

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shutdown problems since upgrading to 1903: I recently installed upgrade 1903 to Windows 10 on my Dell Latitude and to my Surface 3 Professional. Since the upgrade the Dell latitude takes 20 minutes or more to fully shut down. The Surface is running fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  6. Having a lot of problems with windows 10 1703

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Having a lot of problems with windows 10 1703: I just bought a new Asus laptop which ran gift box and I downloaded some apps like firefox and zip but when I tried to update, it had an error I tried retrying multiple times but nothing is working I tried almost every solution here that I can find but nothing worked. I ran...
  7. I have two problems since the last upgrade in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have two problems since the last upgrade in Windows 10.: Two problems 1. I use cut and paste a lot and though this works with the paste element, it does not cut. 2. This one is more irritating, I use Windows Photos as my default viewer and a picture will open but will no longer move to the other images in my folder, the arrow...
  8. Windows 10 1703 upgrade won't run

Windows 10 1703 upgrade won't run: This is an ASUS CM6870, i7 CPU, 16GB ram, wireless option, UEFI BIOS about 4 yrs old and came with W7 installed. I clean installed 1703, but after install it does not boot but instead locks up with a bluish screen (not BSOD) and non-movable mouse pointer. So I clean...
  9. Problems upgrading old laptop from 1607 to 1703

Problems upgrading old laptop from 1607 to 1703: I'm having problems upgrading my old laptop, which was happily running version 1607, to version 1703. Any ideas what I should try next? When I say "old" laptop... it came with XP, but has run Windows 8, 8.1, 10 Preview, and versions of Windows 10 up to 1607. So far I've...
  10. Graphical artifacts 1703 upgrade.

in Windows 10 Support
    Graphical artifacts 1703 upgrade.: I seem to have another issue following the Creators Update upgrade in which I'm seeing graphical artifacts. I first noticed it in the shutdown process where the screen goes blue (could be black, not sure) It happens very quickly but I think I would describe the artifacts...