Windows 10: Have WiFi 6 compatible WiFi card but connects to WiFi 4

Discus and support Have WiFi 6 compatible WiFi card but connects to WiFi 4 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi I have a WiFi card capable of WiFi 6 but my pc with windows 11 keeps connecting to WiFi 4 so when I go to properties of the WiFi card and change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Mohammad Saaleh Qureshi, Jun 23, 2024.

1. Have WiFi 6 compatible WiFi card but connects to WiFi 4

Hi I have a WiFi card capable of WiFi 6 but my pc with windows 11 keeps connecting to WiFi 4 so when I go to properties of the WiFi card and change the property to 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode and change the value to Dual Band 802.11ax and press ok it goes back to the old property and value

:)

Mohammad Saaleh Qureshi, Jun 23, 2024

2. Recommendation for WiFi usb / card

If you have a desktop computer I would STRONGLY suggest a PCIe adapter rather than a USB adapter if you go with WiFi 6. The only USB WiFi adapters that I have seen thus far use a Realtek chipset which is reported to have some serious flaws. In my own personal experience, I have tried 2 of these and returned both, getting performance worse than other WiFi 5 adapters and constant disconnects even 10 feet from my WiFi router. If you go with a USB adapter, I would suggest a quality WiFi 5 adapter. One more note: Should you decide to go with a WiFi 6 PCIe adapter, I would suggest a WiFi 6e model. They actually cost no more, and they are one step up just in case you ever go to a WiFi 6e router.

hsehestedt, Jun 23, 2024
  3. Windows 11 automatically connecting with Wifi 4 instead of Wifi 6

I have a Wifi 6 capable wireless router that works just fine, although my windows 11 PC connects to it automatically with Wifi 4 protocol until I manually disconnect from it and re-connect, then it's using Wifi 6. I set the wireless adapter to 5GHz only mode, my mobile always displays the wifi protocol as Wifi 6, so it's only the PC that for some reason prefers Wifi 4. There is no option in my wireless driver to set the connection mode to *ax exclusive.

Is there a solution to force windows to always try connecting with 802.11ax protocol?

Marcell444, Jun 23, 2024
  4. Have WiFi 6 compatible WiFi card but connects to WiFi 4

Windows 11 automatically connecting with Wifi 4 instead of Wifi 6

First of all, I didn't say that the problem is on your router, read carefully. I simply hypothesized that this behavior could be caused by Band Steering if this option is enabled on the router, and therefore I suggested trying to disable it and rename the 2 networks by assigning different SSIDs.

Regarding the fact that your phone is always able to connect to the WiFi 6 network, this means nothing as your phone certainly uses a different network card and the driver is also different, so the comparison is unrealistic.

The wireless mode appears to be set correctly but if for any reason the WiFi 6 network is not available or this network is disturbed, Windows could connect to the WiFi 4 network if this network appears to have a better signal. This is the behavior of automatic connection.

Go to the advanced properties of the WiFi adapter and try disabling wireless roaming or set it to the minimum value. Otherwise, temporarily configure the hotspot on your smartphone, then connect to the hotspot with your PC and see if the behavior is the same or if it is different.

franco d'esaro, Jun 23, 2024
Thema:

Have WiFi 6 compatible WiFi card but connects to WiFi 4

1. Have WiFi 6 compatible WiFi card but connects to WiFi 4 - Similar Threads - WiFi compatible WiFi

2. Have WiFi 6 compatible WiFi card but connects to WiFi 4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Have WiFi 6 compatible WiFi card but connects to WiFi 4: Hi I have a WiFi card capable of WiFi 6 but my pc with windows 11 keeps connecting to WiFi 4 so when I go to properties of the WiFi card and change the property to 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode and change the value to Dual Band 802.11ax and press ok it goes back to the old...
  3. WIFI 6 Mediatek MT7921 card not working

WIFI 6 Mediatek MT7921 card not working: I have tried reset network, uninstall wireless lan card then restart sometimes it work but after a while it stop working.My laptop is ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506IC with Windows 11.Also the error code is 45....
  4. Windows 11 automatically connecting with Wifi 4 instead of Wifi 6

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 automatically connecting with Wifi 4 instead of Wifi 6: I have a Wifi 6 capable wireless router that works just fine, although my windows 11 PC connects to it automatically with Wifi 4 protocol until I manually disconnect from it and re-connect, then it's using Wifi 6. I set the wireless adapter to 5GHz only mode, my mobile always...
  5. Windows 11 automatically connecting with Wifi 4 instead of Wifi 6

Windows 11 automatically connecting with Wifi 4 instead of Wifi 6: I have a Wifi 6 capable wireless router that works just fine, although my windows 11 PC connects to it automatically with Wifi 4 protocol until I manually disconnect from it and re-connect, then it's using Wifi 6. I set the wireless adapter to 5GHz only mode, my mobile always...
  6. wifi 6

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi 6: Has anyone gone to the expense of getting wifi 6 or 6E? Does it really make a difference? If so is it worth the cost of the new router? I priced the routers for wifi 6 and they are more expensive than what I am using now (Netgear about 5 yrs old). Just curious about all...
  7. wifi 6

in Windows 10 Support
    wifi 6: Has anyone gone to the expense of getting wifi 6 or 6E? Does it really make a difference? If so is it worth the cost of the new router? I priced the routers for wifi 6 and they are more expensive than what I am using now (Netgear about 5 yrs old). Just curious about all...
  8. Wifi 6 2x2 Simultaneous Connections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi 6 2x2 Simultaneous Connections: Hi, I have AC dual band router, and my laptop has Intel wifi 6 AX201 running on Windows 10. How do i connect to both 2.4 ghz as well as 5.0 ghz simultaneously. I understand 802.11ax is capable of 2x2 and hence this is possible. Thanks....
  9. Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wifi 6 adapter compatibility with 5.0ghz routers (WiFi 5): Hello, I have an older PC that only supports 802.11n WiFi which doesn't allow me to connect to my router 5.0ghz band using Windows 10. If I buy a WiFi 6 (802.11ax) adapter, will it work in Windows 10 with WiFi 5 routers (5.0ghz band) or do they only work with new Wifi 6...
  10. wifi 6

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wifi 6: Will 802.11ax devices still be able to work off of 802.11ac routers? From what I've read Wi-Fi 6 is back n fourth compatible with all 802.11a/g/n/ac devices, but won’t get the full benefits from everything Wi-Fi 6 can offer. If it's back n fourth compatible then a device as...