Windows 10: have you disabled the 2 MRT.exe tasks ?

Discus and support have you disabled the 2 MRT.exe tasks ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi i have noticed with autorun that i have 2 tasks that run mrt.exe Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool i have disabled them do you have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drugo, Mar 12, 2016.

1. drugo Win User

have you disabled the 2 MRT.exe tasks ?

Hi
    i have noticed with autorun that i have 2 tasks that run mrt.exe Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

i have disabled them

do you have them ?

thanks

:)

drugo, Mar 12, 2016

2. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool , mrt.exe runs on startup - real or virus?

Thank you for replying so quickly!! I didn't notice the insert image button. That I can do. To answer your questions:

- Started about a week ago (never seen this before, so found it unusual)

- Windows is up to date (this is done regularly)

- You're right, Task Manager shows mrt.exe trying to run at startup. Pic below.

I've actually highlighted 2 other things I'm not familiar with.

1. Should I stop "Program" from running, that seems suspicious

2. I'm guessing "Windows host process" is usual? I just don't recall.

3. I'll probably disable MSRT, but how do I know if it's legit or fake? I just don't know if this is how mrt.exe should be running or not.

have you disabled the 2 MRT.exe tasks ? [​IMG]

Thank you,

Alex.

AlexHermano, Mar 12, 2016
  3. message after starting Windows is "Consent UI for administrative applications". I cannot work with my PC until I go to Task Manager by pressing "Alt+Cntl+Delete"

Sangeeta,

Like Al-Mahmoud, I had the same problem and my computer is a HP Windows 10 64 bit. I was able to follow your instructions to do a clean boot and determine the cause of the problem. I ended up isolating it to one of the Startup items: Microsoft Windows Malicious
    Software Removal Tool. By disabling this startup item, the problem goes away. Now my question is, should this item be disabled? Does it matter if it remains disabled forever? And if I have to enable it, how can I do that and avoid the problem Al-Mahmoud initially
    presented. I wanted to add that when I go to task manager and end the task for Consent UI for Administrative Applications I get the following window error: c:\windows\system32\MRT.exe - Incorrect Function.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Wendy.

Wendy Matos, Mar 12, 2016
  4. have you disabled the 2 MRT.exe tasks ?

2? Can you show me which, maybe I have overlooked it? I have only 1 and I have also disabled it in Windows Updates.

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\RemovalTools\MRT_HB" /Disable
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v DontOfferThroughWUAU /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

TairikuOkami, Mar 12, 2016
  5. drugo Win User
    hi
    yes two *Sad

have you disabled the 2 MRT.exe tasks ? [​IMG]

drugo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

have you disabled the 2 MRT.exe tasks ?

1. have you disabled the 2 MRT.exe tasks ? - Similar Threads - disabled MRT exe

2. Mrt related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mrt related: I want to tell that mrt app in my windows runs very smoothly without any problem but when I try to open it and when I try to closing it without opening it it shows you must be logged on as a member of the administrators group to run the mrt tool. Is it a genuine msg from mrt...
  3. Mrt related

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mrt related: I want to tell that mrt app in my windows runs very smoothly without any problem but when I try to open it and when I try to closing it without opening it it shows you must be logged on as a member of the administrators group to run the mrt tool. Is it a genuine msg from mrt...
  4. MRT related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MRT related: Can you tell me that I recently reset my laptop and it and it is now brand new and all thing is clear but I could not find mrt in my Windows can you tell me that why I cannot find it or I manually download it from Microsoft website....
  5. MRT related

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MRT related: Can you tell me that I recently reset my laptop and it and it is now brand new and all thing is clear but I could not find mrt in my Windows can you tell me that why I cannot find it or I manually download it from Microsoft website....
  6. windows mrt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows mrt: hello, so i ran the mrt and saw the results, i clicked detailed results and found this out so the question is, that all of this are malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-mrt/6c3a0726-c6bc-4154-8774-6f663db465ae
  7. The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task.

The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task.: Attempts to disable or modify any task in Task Scheduler results in "The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task."; even though my user account has Administrator privileges. I have created a new task; it works correctly and I can...
  8. MRT Update Notification

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    MRT Update Notification: When I run MRT, a notification pops up per Attachment 1 shown below. The link which shows will download but not install, per Attachment 2. Has anyone else experienced this? I continued running the the "current version" and it ran ok, but I am curious about these instructions...
  9. Vista>MRT

Vista>MRT: When I tried to run Microsoft's MRT, it said that it didn't support this operating system. It was automatically installed. Is there another, newer MRT tool from Microsoft?...
  10. msrt (mrt)

in Windows 10 Support
    msrt (mrt): How can I tell if I have the "Malicious Software Removal Tool" installed? 62820