Windows 10: Having issues removing Chrome before reinstalling.

Discus and support Having issues removing Chrome before reinstalling. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I work from home doing all sorts of odd job contracts. I have one I'm about to being that requires me to use Chrome with no 3rd party extensions. Since... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jayv2251, Apr 11, 2017.

1. jayv2251 Win User

Having issues removing Chrome before reinstalling.

I work from home doing all sorts of odd job contracts. I have one I'm about to being that requires me to use Chrome with no 3rd party extensions. Since I have added many extensions to Chrome, I thought it best to just uninstall then reinstall. When I tried doing this via add and remove programs in Windows 10, I was caught in a loop of it asking permission to change my system, then chrome would open, windows would say please close all running copies of chrome, which of course I would, before starting this whole process over again. Suggestions on how I can remove then reinstall Chrome ASAP! I'm loosing money while this isn't working right!

:)

jayv2251, Apr 11, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Google CHrome

Hi Randy, I have found over the years, to get Chrome working again, when uninstalling Chrome, to completely remove it before reinstalling, you also need to remove these folders manually (replace UserName with your login name):

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Google

Then restart before reinstalling Chrome . . .

DaveM121, Apr 11, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Pro 1709 randomly crashing

For me this issue goes away if I remove both Chrome & it's updaters and/or Chromium.

It's something these are causing...I've had them removed for a week with no issue, and just reinstalled Chrome and after 10 mins it happened.

fredgolightly, Apr 11, 2017
  4. OldMike65 Win User

You could try using Revo Uninstaller Free version. I have the Pro version myself
    Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

OldMike65, Apr 11, 2017
  5. Check your task manager to make sure no instances of Chrome continue to run in the background and kill them if necessary.

cyberrufus, Apr 11, 2017
  6. jayv2251 Win User
    That's what I thought too cyberrufus. Wasn't any instance of it running, until I acknowledged that the uninstall program would be modifying my desktop components or something to that degree. As soon as I check that off, it "opens" Chrome, as I can see a line appear below it in the tool bar. At first I thought it was acting like some other programs I've uninstalled before. They want feedback as to why you're uninstalling it. So I miniumized the add and remove windows to see if I can look at a chrome windows, but there is none, yet it says it's open. I also noticed a (2) after the word Chrome, which usually indicates two copies open, but there were no windows for either copy.

I'm very leery on using free software. I've been burned so many times by programs I've downloaded from Tucows or Cnet, whom both use to be much more reputable. Free meant free...Not free with a dozen or more malware or spyware programs buried inside your program. Guess the phrase, "you get what you pay for applies here". I'm starting a new work at home business and I don't have the capital to buy everything I need right away. Worst case scenario is I will get the revo uninstaller that was recommended above by OldMike. Just curious, doesn't CCleaner come with an uninstall option?

jayv2251, Apr 11, 2017
  7. Might try running --uninstall as a command line argument on chrome.exe. May also want to reboot your computer. That often seems to solve some inexplicable problems.

cyberrufus, Apr 11, 2017
  8. jayv2251 Win User

I had to do a bit of digging through Google of course. It seems even if you are not running or have Chrome open, during the boot process all the background extensions for Chrome load. I forgot to save the link, so as to share here. But this one site recommended going to Task Manager and looking at the background processes. And sure enough I had like 9 extensions running without actually having Chrome open! Once I closed all those via Task Manager, I was able to run the uninstall as usual with no issue.

jayv2251, Apr 11, 2017
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Downloading anything from Cnet, I would NEVER advise. The link I gave you is from the Makers of Revo uninstaller. Their are safe sites to download programs, and sites you should never use.
    Ccleaner does also uninstall apps from your computer, it just uses Windows uninstall options. Revo does a much better job.
    Your choice of course.

OldMike65, Apr 11, 2017
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    Glad you solved your issue. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Having issues removing Chrome before reinstalling. - Similar Threads - Having issues removing

2. Reinstalling Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling Google Chrome: In an effort to get over problems I was experiencing following an update on Windows 11 64bit on my desktop PC i uninstalled my Google Chrome browser. Now I am finding it impossible to reinstall it Firewall turned off and I have also tried allowing the Googleupdate.exe through...
  3. Reinstalling Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Google Chrome: In an effort to get over problems I was experiencing following an update on Windows 11 64bit on my desktop PC i uninstalled my Google Chrome browser. Now I am finding it impossible to reinstall it Firewall turned off and I have also tried allowing the Googleupdate.exe through...
  4. reinstalled windows 10 and im having problems that didnt exist before reinstalling or ever...

in Windows 10 Customization
    reinstalled windows 10 and im having problems that didnt exist before reinstalling or ever...: 1. when i open up edge two tabs open up instead of one 2. when i start my computer and lock screen it says administrator and password/username was incorrect. when i start up without adding a password or username and 3. there two choices to either pick administrator to sign...
  5. Anyone else have this issue with chrome?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone else have this issue with chrome?: submitted by /u/KingJeremyVII [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hrfe8x/anyone_else_have_this_issue_with_chrome/
  6. To do list before reinstalling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    To do list before reinstalling: I tend to reinstall my laptop every year or so, to keep it from running full with unwanted junk. This time i also want to exchange the Hard drive, so a fresh installation is the best solution The last time (which was the first time reinstalling windows 10) i had a bit of...
  7. How do I have Chrome prompt for password before opening?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I have Chrome prompt for password before opening?: Title of the thread basically. I am using latest version of Chrome on Win 10 64 bit. I remember there used to be an extension for FireFox...i think the name was ProfilePassword or something. Is there any add-on for Chrome to enable this functionality? 127296
  8. How do I have Chrome prompt for password before opening?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I have Chrome prompt for password before opening?: Title of the thread basically. I am using latest version of Chrome on Win 10 64 bit. I remember there used to be an extension for FireFox...i think the name was ProfilePassword or something. Is there any add-on for Chrome to enable this functionality? 127296
  9. backup Google Chrome browser before reinstalling Windows?

in Browsers and Email
    backup Google Chrome browser before reinstalling Windows?: What bugs me about Chrome is that you can't simply copy the %appdata% chrome folder to the new Windows install. Even though you copy the Cookies file over, websites ignore that old cookie in the new install. So if you have a bank website you visit regularly, or a...
  10. Before a total Reinstall

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Before a total Reinstall: Hi, Mum cannot login to her laptop !!! I upgraded the laptop to Win 10 Pro 64 bit as part of the free Win 10 rollout 2 years ago, creating an admin account for Mum. There is also a standard account for her daughter. Sure enough when I checked it, the known password...