Windows 10: Having Problem Shutting Down My Computer Properly (Windows 10)

Discus and support Having Problem Shutting Down My Computer Properly (Windows 10) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I often have problems shutting down my computer properly, and I can't seem to track down the exact cause for the issue. It happens every few weeks:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abigail, Jul 28, 2016.

1. abigail Win User

Having Problem Shutting Down My Computer Properly (Windows 10)

I often have problems shutting down my computer properly, and I can't seem to track down the exact cause for the issue.

It happens every few weeks: once in a while I will attempt to shutdown my computer and everything seems to go just fine - except for the fact that the power button is still lit at which point I'm forced to hold that button down until the computer shuts down completely. As I said this happens every few weeks (although it seems to be happening more frequently as of late), and I've tried everything I can think of to resolve the issue - multiple virus scans report nothing suspicious, SFC and CHKDSK scans are fine, I've turned off hybrid shutdown (and gone through the power settings as well)... I don't get it.

What is interesting though is the fact that a TPM error precedes every instance of this problem. Whenever I go through my event viewer after the problem occurs, I will find an error telling me that "the device driver for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) encountered a non-recoverable error in the TPM hardware, which prevents TPM services (such as data encryption) from being used.

Every. Single. Time.

Without fail. It could be 30 minutes before the problem, it could be several hours. But it ALWAYS precedes the shutdown problem. At this point I've taken to checking the event viewer every half hour because I know that if I spot that TPM error, then BANG - I'm going have a problem shutting down the computer later.

I don't know anymore, I'm just hoping somebody here can help because I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough when it comes to computers.

Everything else seems to work fine, and I'm not having any other symptoms. I just want to know why I'm having this problem every once in a while and what the connection is between that and the TPM errors.

:)

abigail, Jul 28, 2016

2. about power off

i have a Dell laptop. when shut down the window then not properly shut down this problem is happen when upgrade win 10 , before win 10 system shut down properly but not now

please resolve this query

AruneshKumarUL, Jul 28, 2016
  3. Bourne957 Win User
    closing down and sleep function

I installed windows 10 education and always there was problem of shutting down and sleep. My PC would not go to sleep or shut down. the power light would always be on. So every time I shut down my computer, I had to press the power button and every time
    I put to sleep, I had to restart by pressing the power button.

So I installed windows 10 pro. Quite amazingly the problem is gone now. My PC goes to sleep and shuts down normally.

Also, intel rapid storage technology driver was not working properly in windows 10 education. It is now working properly in windows 10 pro. Maybe that was the reason.

Bourne957, Jul 28, 2016
Thema:

Having Problem Shutting Down My Computer Properly (Windows 10)

1. Having Problem Shutting Down My Computer Properly (Windows 10) - Similar Threads - Having Problem Shutting

2. problem windows was not shut down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem windows was not shut down properly: Ive checked my computer to my local technicians and my computer works properly but when i start a game it reboots every single time. When i open Problem Details it says ''problem windows was not shut down properly '',''DescriptionThe previous system shutdown at 4:57:27 PM on...
  3. problem windows was not shut down properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem windows was not shut down properly: Ive checked my computer to my local technicians and my computer works properly but when i start a game it reboots every single time. When i open Problem Details it says ''problem windows was not shut down properly '',''DescriptionThe previous system shutdown at 4:57:27 PM on...
  4. My computer isn't shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer isn't shutting down properly: Hello...I just installed Ubuntu on my PC alongside Windows 11. I was thinking it was Windows 10. and after the install. I booted Windows 11 and after a while, I tried to shut down the PC. It showed the shut down screen, then after a blank screen, It boots up my desktop and...
  5. My computer isn't shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer isn't shutting down properly: Hello...I just installed Ubuntu on my PC alongside Windows 11. I was thinking it was Windows 10. and after the install. I booted Windows 11 and after a while, I tried to shut down the PC. It showed the shut down screen, then after a blank screen, It boots up my desktop and...
  6. Computer Not Shutting Down Properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Not Shutting Down Properly: Going to have to look into this tomorrow, but I've noticed a few times recently that when I shut down it seems to shut the OS down and my monitor goes off and everything - but the computer stays on. The light on the front stays on and it still makes a noise and I have to then...
  7. Windows 10 not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 not shutting down properly: So I recently built my dad a computer and everything seems to be going great in regards to the PC except for one problem. Randomly when he tries to shut down the PC thought windows it won't shut down. It just says its shutting down and goes on like that for hours, or until...
  8. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Not shutting down properly: Hi all *Smile Bit of a strange problem with Windows 10 on my desktop - it doesn't seem to shut down properly. I get the usual 'shutting down' screen, but (sometimes) when it turns back on it's resumes at a stage maybe 30 seconds before I switched it off. For example, if I...
  9. My computer can not boot and shut down properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer can not boot and shut down properly: My computer is not starting up and shutting down properly. At first the system started up correctly but I was strangely redirected to a screen that asked me to sign out and sign in again for Windows to work properly I did just that and it was successful. After like 10...
  10. Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!: Since upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, I remain perplexed about this one issue that is plaguing my system: Almost every shut down is reported in the Windows 10 Reliability Monitor as the computer was not shut down properly. This happens on both shut downs and restarts using...