Windows 10: Having trouble connecting to the Internet.

Discus and support Having trouble connecting to the Internet. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an Ethernet connection to my PC. My router randomly reset today and now I can't connect to the Internet on it. It says my connection is Public,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AMDISBETTER, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Having trouble connecting to the Internet.

I have an Ethernet connection to my PC. My router randomly reset today and now I can't connect to the Internet on it. It says my connection is Public, and I have no option to change it to a private network. Please help.

:)

AMDISBETTER, Aug 21, 2015

2. Trouble connecting to the Internet after upgrade to Windows 10

Hi Leon,

Your concern needs further investigation. Please provide the following information so we can assess the root cause of the issue:

• What are the status of your internet connection on your device?
    • Are you receiving any error messages when trying to use the internet?
    • Are you connected using WIFI or directly through your modem using a cable?
    You can also follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue:

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Network and Internet.
    • Select Internet Connections.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Aug 21, 2015
  3. leongeens Win User
    Trouble connecting to the Internet after upgrade to Windows 10

I have a H/P note book and I have just up graded it to windows 10 but I have trouble connecting to the internet why is that ?

From leon

Moved from IE10/Win8

Original title: the internet

leongeens, Aug 21, 2015
  4. Having trouble connecting to the Internet.

the easiest way to switch it to private is press windows key and x key at same time
    then open control panel
    then open homegroup
    itll warn that you cannot start homegroup until you switch to private

Having trouble connecting to the Internet. [​IMG]

any click on change network location
    itll switch it to private

icpwolverine, Aug 21, 2015
  5. I don't have that option under the message.

6. Do you think if I restored my computer to when it was working, I could fix it?

7. I don't have that option.

8. Having trouble connecting to the Internet.

I just ran troubleshooter and it said that it can't find a valid IP.

9. open control panel
    open network and sharing center
    on the left click change adapter settings
    there should be at least 2 adapters
    one is Ethernet the other is wifi
    right click on the Ethernet adapter
    select properties
    look for the Internet Protocol tcp/ip4

highlight it and then select properties on the right

in the top section instead of obtain automatically select the other one
    set your ip address to something like 192.168.1.10
    subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0
    gateway ip address usually its 192.168.1.1
    click ok
    ok again
    then close network and sharing center
    then reboot pc
    then see if itll connect
    if not unplug your router for a few seconds then plug it back in and give it a few minutes to cycle
    then try again
    networks are finicky beasts

but if you are on a homegroup network the above will lose the homegroup connection

10. brummyfan Win User
    Hi,
    Go to settings, Network & Internet, click Advanced Options, select ON with radio button for Private network in Find Devices & Content.

brummyfan, Aug 21, 2015
  11. There is no Advanced Options category.

12. Neither options worked.

13. Having trouble connecting to the Internet.

thanks i just tested that out on mine.. even tho I'm on wifi public i switched on the find other pc option and poof I'm on a private network now... the options i said ignore

14. Now it's saying "The default gateway is not available."

15. do what brummyfan suggested

Thema:

Having trouble connecting to the Internet.

1. Having trouble connecting to the Internet. - Similar Threads - Having trouble connecting

2. Having trouble connecting to the internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having trouble connecting to the internet: IT,I am having trouble connecting to our AT&T internet at our home. We have internet and run our streaming channels off of it, but I can’t connect my computer to it. Any suggestions as to what I can do differently?At a loss,Tonya Grant...
  3. Having trouble connecting to the internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having trouble connecting to the internet: IT,I am having trouble connecting to our AT&T internet at our home. We have internet and run our streaming channels off of it, but I can’t connect my computer to it. Any suggestions as to what I can do differently?At a loss,Tonya Grant...
  4. Having trouble connecting to the internet.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having trouble connecting to the internet.: I updated my laptop today and when it finally restarted, I went to connect to my university wifi, only to find that my settings did not have an option to connect to wireless internet. This was strange, because prior to the update, I had been using the wifi to do homework. I...
  5. Having trouble connecting to the internet.

Having trouble connecting to the internet.: I updated my laptop today and when it finally restarted, I went to connect to my university wifi, only to find that my settings did not have an option to connect to wireless internet. This was strange, because prior to the update, I had been using the wifi to do homework. I...
  6. Having trouble connecting to the internet

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Having trouble connecting to the internet: I am having a problem connecting to the internet. I have tried everything it said to do and I still can’t connect. Can someone please help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/having-trouble-connecting-to-the-internet/be76c6ea-294c-4eff-aa9f-9bd3fe416473
  7. Having trouble connecting to the internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having trouble connecting to the internet: I am having a problem connecting to the internet. I have tried everything it said to do and I still can’t connect. Can someone please help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/having-trouble-connecting-to-the-internet/be76c6ea-294c-4eff-aa9f-9bd3fe416473
  8. Having trouble connecting to the internet

9. Trouble connecting to internet.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble connecting to internet.: So about an hour ago, I couldn’t connect to certain apps. I was being told I had no connection to the internet. Thinking nothing of it, I reseted my computer. When I logged back in, I noticed the wifi icon was signifying that I had no connection to the internet. I ran a...
  10. having trouble with internet connectivity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    having trouble with internet connectivity: cant connect to the internet ip config says media disconnected. running windows 10 version 1903. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/having-trouble-with-internet-connectivity/df95ebd7-48ce-43b1-a015-114a30307e4d

Users found this page by searching for:

1. were having trouble connecting