Windows 10: Having trouble taking ownership of USB network drive

Discus and support Having trouble taking ownership of USB network drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a 2TB USB drive connected to my router and I am currently copying my media files to it so I can access them from other devices. All seems to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobN17, Jul 2, 2018.

1. RobN17 Win User

Having trouble taking ownership of USB network drive

I have a 2TB USB drive connected to my router and I am currently copying my media files to it so I can access them from other devices. All seems to be working but at times have trouble with not having permission to change/delete files.
    When I try to to change the owner to give permission to read/write to these folders I get error messages. The Drive seems to be owned by S-1-22-1-0 and S-1-22-2-0 and i'm not included at all.

Sorry, this is an area where I am totally out of my depth and would appreciate some help. My objective is to have the media files located on my Desktop, replicated on the networked USB drive and to use sync centre to keep them in sync.
    I hope this makes sense. look forward to any help on this

:)

RobN17, Jul 2, 2018

2. file permissions/ownership troubles

There is a program named "take ownership" just google it. You'll just have to choose your entire drive, click on take ownership and you re done!

assaulter_99, Jul 2, 2018
  3. erocker Win User
    HELP PLEASE!!!! Trouble installing windows from USB on ASUS P9X79

You have to select the option in the bios to boot from the USB drive. Did you take the steps to make the USB drive bootable?

erocker, Jul 2, 2018
  4. Arul_D Win User

Can't take ownership of external hard disk

Hi Jenil,

Welcome to the Microsoft community.

In order to assist you better could you please confirm a few things like:

• Have you installed any third party folder lock software on your computer?
    I would suggest you to follow methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Step 1: Make sure that you are logged in as an administrator.

Step 2: Try to take ownership of the files and check if it helps.

Taking ownership of a folder from explorer

1) Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer.

2) Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu.

3) Click on "Security" tab.

4) Click on “Advanced” button.

5) Now click on "Owner" tab in Advanced Security Settings for User windows.

6) Click on Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list.

7) Click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok.

8) Now select User/group and click apply and ok. Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder.

9) Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed.

10) Now Owner name must have changed.

11) Now click Ok to exist from Properties windows.

Once you have taken the ownership of file or folder next part comes is granting permissions to that file/folder or object.

If the above method doesn’t work, you could try taking ownership from the command line.

Or Taking ownership of a file or folder from command line

Open an elevated Command Prompt window.

To do so:

a. press windows + X.

b. Select Command Prompt as Administrator.

c. Type the following command and press ENTER:

takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y

d. To assign the Administrators group Full Control Permissions for the folder, use this syntax:

icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T

The /T parameter is added so that the operation is carried out through all the sub-directories and files within that folder.

e. To know more information about the above commands, run these commands from a Command Prompt window.

takeown /?

icacls /?

Once you take ownership, you can grant permissions on those files or folders.

Method 2:

Try the steps in the following Microsoft article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Chkdsk disclaimer.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. WE will be glad to assist.

Arul_D, Jul 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Having trouble taking ownership of USB network drive - Similar Threads - Having trouble taking

2. Having trouble deleteing or changing ownership of files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having trouble deleteing or changing ownership of files.: I'm having trouble deleting or changing ownership of a file in my appdata that I put there. It keeps saying that I need admin permission to do either though I am the sole user and owner of this computer. When i go to change the ownership of said file it says I don't have...
  3. Having trouble deleteing or changing ownership of files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having trouble deleteing or changing ownership of files.: I'm having trouble deleting or changing ownership of a file in my appdata that I put there. It keeps saying that I need admin permission to do either though I am the sole user and owner of this computer. When i go to change the ownership of said file it says I don't have...
  4. Cannot Take ownership of FAT32 USB drive, "You have been denied permission to access this...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Take ownership of FAT32 USB drive, "You have been denied permission to access this...: I have tried running " diskmgmt.msc takeown /f E:\ /R /D Y ", I get the response "File ownership cannot be applied on insecure file systems".Every resource seems to say "Open properties, go to the security tab", but there is no security tab.I am, and have always been, the...
  5. Cannot Take ownership of FAT32 USB drive, "You have been denied permission to access this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Take ownership of FAT32 USB drive, "You have been denied permission to access this...: I have tried running " diskmgmt.msc takeown /f E:\ /R /D Y ", I get the response "File ownership cannot be applied on insecure file systems".Every resource seems to say "Open properties, go to the security tab", but there is no security tab.I am, and have always been, the...
  6. Cannot Take ownership of FAT32 USB drive, "You have been denied permission to access this...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. taking ownership of dirs on a non-networked machine

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    taking ownership of dirs on a non-networked machine: this is quite annoying folks. I've followed this: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-access-denied-folders-windows-10/ however, I'm unsure of what string mentioned in point #3 in that article, to put into the advanced box. the article makes me think it's my username,...
  8. take ownership of hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    take ownership of hard drive: Hi guys, I've been denied access on an external hard disk so I tried to take ownership but it won't let me do it. It says it is unable to set new owner as there is not enough space on the disk. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you...
  9. Take ownership

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  10. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644