Windows 10: HD not accessible. Can't take ownership.

Discus and support HD not accessible. Can't take ownership. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Trying to install a hard drive to my system. Says it is inaccessible. Images will help explain the problem. [img] [img] [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Lonepine, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Lonepine Win User

HD not accessible. Can't take ownership.

Trying to install a hard drive to my system.
    Says it is inaccessible.

Images will help explain the problem.

HD not accessible. Can't take ownership. [​IMG]

Tried 3 different HDs, and cables. Rebooted into safe mode.
    Tried takeownership
    Tried takeown /F command in cmd

Was working before.

Any help appreciated.

:)

Lonepine, Mar 25, 2017

2. Need access to Documents and Settings to save my extensive Itunes playlists

Documents and Settings refers to Windows XP and earlier. On my Windows 10 desktop, the iTunes music library is stored in File Explorer > Music.

Manage and back up your iTunes media library

If you can't access the folder, you need to take ownership of it.

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows 10 - Make Tech ...

https://www.maketecheasier.com/take-ownership-o...

Andre Da Costa, Mar 25, 2017
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Cannot Open Documents created prior to installing new desktop with upgrade to Windows 10

Sounds like at least part of your problem is Windows Access Rights Issues. Take a look at this article on how to "take ownership" of those files

How to take ownership and get full access to files and folders in Windows 10

Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10

Rohn007, Mar 25, 2017
  4. JLAF5150 Win User

did you set it up in Computer management or when there does it say unallocated?? If so you need to allocate it..

JLAF5150, Mar 25, 2017
  5. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Mar 25, 2017
  6. Lonepine Win User
    Lonepine, Mar 25, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    That's odd. Another odd thing is the drive letter Q: - I would expect it to have been the next available letter. The only time I've seen the letter Q used for a drive is for Microsoft Click-to-Run applications. If so, 'Denied Access' is the expected result. Your 'Q' may not be the new hard drive after all. What does File Explorer show for 'This PC - Devices and drives'? Mine shows...

8. Lonepine Win User

Yes, the Q came with all the drives.
    It used to be E:

I was trying to put 2 drives into Raid 1 via storage. It kept failing (2nd drive Q: inaccessible).

I had a D: & E: before that. Now I can't even get one HD to work.

Lonepine, Mar 25, 2017
  9. Lonepine Win User
    Maybe this:
    What is the Q drive?

This means that you have chosen to install an Office 2010 Click-to-Run suite, such as Office Starter 2010, Office Starter To-Go, Office Home & Student, or Office Home & Business.These products are based on Application Virtualization technology. The Q:\ drive is the virtual file system drive where virtualized apps "live" in the file system namespace.The Q:\ drive is not a real drive; it has no space and is not accessible from Windows Explorer or “My Computer”.

I do have click to run on computer.

I suspect no HD is showing at all. @ connected now.
    But they are warm, so have power.
    But why?????????

Lonepine, Mar 25, 2017
  10. Lonepine Win User
    Ok, I'd tried 3 cables from the motherboard which didn't work. Tried another from eSata port, and used one of the cables, and it work.
    So failure of 3 sockets on MB at same time? Why?

Thanks for help guys.

Lonepine, Mar 25, 2017
  11. essenbe Win User
    Are you saying that the esata port worked?

essenbe, Mar 25, 2017
  12. Lonepine Win User
    Yes. So I unplugged cable from there and plugged it into HD, and it appeared.
    3 other cables plugged into MB didn't work, but they did 2 days ago.
    So what would make them fail?

Lonepine, Mar 25, 2017
  13. essenbe Win User

If connecting with the esata port makes it show up in explorer and disk management, connect it that way. Is there any data on the drive you need to keep? If there is, DO NOT follow the rest of these suggestions.

Right click on the start flag and select command prompt (Admin) provide permissions
    Type diskpart and press enter. Wait for the cmd prompt to respond diskpart.
    Type list disk and press enter. It should list each disk in your computer. Be Certain to select the correct disk, which should be done with the size designation. Each disk will be assigned a number. Select the disk number as follows.
    Type select disk 2 (or whatever number is assigned to the disk in question)
    Type List Partition and press enter. It should give you the partitions on the disk.
    Type for each partition one at a time type select partition 1 and press enter.
    Type delete partition and press enter.
    IF you get a permissions error type select partition 1 again and press enter
    then type delete partition override and press enter.
    Delete each partition on the disk.
    See if that will work.

essenbe, Mar 25, 2017
  14. essenbe Win User
    It should look similar to this

essenbe, Mar 25, 2017
  15. essenbe Win User
    If you can't see the disk in diskpart , forget everything above.

essenbe, Mar 25, 2017
Thema:

1. HD not accessible. Can't take ownership. - Similar Threads - accessible Can't ownership

2. TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership: So I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise and wanted to get windows 10 so I decided to change to try and change to windows 8,1 professional. However, when I tried to change the product key in Registry Editor, I required permission from TrustedInstaller. I decided to look up a...
  3. TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TrustedInstaller Access Denied when taking ownership: So I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise and wanted to get windows 10 so I decided to change to try and change to windows 8,1 professional. However, when I tried to change the product key in Registry Editor, I required permission from TrustedInstaller. I decided to look up a...
  4. Can't take ownership of system 32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't take ownership of system 32: Hello dear people,i recently got an error that many of you know 0xc000007b,to fix it i need to paste some new dll files in system 32 to repair the appEpic Games Launcher that i need to open i need to have ownership on system 32 folder,i am the administrator of this pc,and i...
  5. Trying to take ownership of Content.IE5 - Access is denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to take ownership of Content.IE5 - Access is denied: I'm trying to take ownership of a shortcut to: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c get_iplayer_web_pvr.cmd When I try, I get: Code: SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe" now owned by user "ELLIOT-PC\kingm". processed file: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe...
  6. Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder access denied and Take Ownership fails: Hello, I have been dealing with an issue lately not being able to access the files from an external drive. That drive contains the windows 10 files that I had on my old pc. I have tried many methods of trying to take folder ownership and it keeps failing, error messages...
  7. Take ownership

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  8. Take ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Take ownership: Is there an easy way to take ownership of files or folders so they can be deleted. I want to delete Windows.old and some of the Wallpapers I have added to windows 10. Thanks 139644
  9. Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied: I typed a command in administrator Command Prompt icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C Because I wanted full access and ownership of my drive, so I followed this fourm Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 |...
  10. Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Tried taking ownership of a drive but access denied: I typed a command in administrator Command Prompt icacls "full path of folder or drive" /setowner "user name" /T /C Because I wanted full access and ownership of my drive, so I followed this fourm Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10 |...