Windows 10: HDD crashed, showing as Unknown Device

Discus and support HDD crashed, showing as Unknown Device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, My seagate 2TB internal HDD suddenly crashed after a couple of days of weird loading. The main problem I have is that the device is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by geenky, Aug 24, 2016.

1. geenky Win User

HDD crashed, showing as Unknown Device

Hello,

My seagate 2TB internal HDD suddenly crashed after a couple of days of weird loading.

The main problem I have is that the device is showing as Unknown Device on device manager. If i try to uninstall / Scan Hardware Changes, it just disappears. If I disable / enable, stays the same as unknown device. I reboot, and again it shows as Unknown Device but cannot do much. If I try to run any software to recover data, it won't see the drive so I cannot do it.

Device Manager:

DISK DRIVES
    SSD Drive (shows fine)
    Another HD I have (shows fine)
    UNKNOWN DEVICE

Also if I go to disk management, it asks me to initialize the drive, which I dont want to do as I need the data that is inside.

I hope someone can please help me, Id greatly appreciate it (you have no idea!)

- I tried plugging it into a different PC, it didnt see it.
    - I tried swapping cables with the other HD, no difference.
    - Bios sometimes sees the drive, sometimes doesnt. Regardless of this, it behaves the same on Windows.

:)

geenky, Aug 24, 2016
  2. slance310 Win User

Windows 10

Hi,

Is it crashing while installing or while running ?

If it is crashing while running the problem is most likely a driver for a hardware device, but that can be tricky to find... There are error logs that may help, but that is above my knowledge...

You might check in Device Manager for anything that is showing a Yellow Triangle, Other Device, or Unknown Device...

if it is crashing during installation, a bit more info would be needed...

slance310, Aug 24, 2016
  3. ArunKT Win User
    Syncing HTC with Windows 7

Did not help. There is no "Moblle Device" in the Device Manager. The USB Serial Bus Connector Showed an Unknown device, which I uninstalled. Still showing Unknown Device.

ArunKT, Aug 24, 2016
  4. geenky Win User

Is there anyone with any ideas at all? I cannot believe I cannot find in google anything to help me in this situation. A data recovery service is quoting me 500 USD , seriously? For a HDD used LIGHTLY for 2 years!?

geenky, Aug 25, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    simrick, Aug 25, 2016
  6. geenky Win User
    Thanks but spinrite did not work. At least it would stay in the looking for devices screen for 2 hours before i gave up.

I was able to see the HDD now but it reads the sector so slowly it is ridiculous. I left it overnight and it didnt reach 1 million sectors out of 3.9 billion...

geenky, Aug 28, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Professional data recovery may be your only option at this point. They can even physically move the platters out of the drive and onto a new setup in a cleanroom, and try to recover your data that way. It's quite involved, and success depends on the failure mode. But, like I said, it gets expensive. Just depends on how valuable your data is. At one time, I was quoted $1,000 for a failed spinner which had irreplaceable photos, and even though I was ready and willing to pay, they still couldn't recover anything for me. *Sad

simrick, Aug 28, 2016
  8. geenky Win User

it has valuable pictures, but also work documents that I had backed up at work but are confidential. If these docs leak, I can get in serious trouble. So it's a catch 22. I think I would pay the money if I could rest assured no documents would leak

it has been such a nightmare this experience. I guess I was naive for not backing up data, I have had drives fail on me but never suddenly like this one. Usually I start seeing bad sectors, this one just died. I was able to "fix" the partition table with testdisk, and after reboot windows chkdsk started running and i stopped it (as this took 5 days last time). When I booted now my partition is damaged... I left it this morning running trying to recover the partition, it was going 1 cylinder at a time, out of 200k or so.

Needless to say I hate seagate with a passion now

geenky, Aug 28, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Yeah, that one drive of mine that failed gave no warning either. *Sad
    I doubt you'd have to worry about your data being leaked from a reputable recovery company. They would go out of business pretty fast if they did that. You could ask for a web address of their T&C; I'm pretty sure they'll have you sign some sort of contract to have the drive recovery done/attempted, and a data privacy statement should be part of it.

I'm not sure why Spinrite was taking so very long, but, have you tried contacting about it?
    GRC

simrick, Aug 28, 2016
  10. geenky Win User
    I haven't, no.

At the moment running photorec again, 2 million sectors in 1 day, 3905 million to go. I do hope it starts going faster later or i will need to wait 5 years for this to finish

geenky, Aug 29, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    *What*Roflmao2

simrick, Aug 29, 2016
  12. geenky Win User
    thanks for the reply, i appreciate it, but I tried EaseUS and it did not work for me. The problem I have is that it shows UNKNOWN DEVICE, not only uninitialized. If I am able to catch the HDD after a 100 reboots, then I just run photorec which is the only software that works for me.

geenky, Aug 30, 2016
  13. geenky Win User

even after seeing the drive, everything except photorec just sees ERRORS in all sectors. I even booted from an ubuntu live cd (usb) and ran ddrescue and after around 15 mins it was finding 0 info, all sectors as errors. I wish someone would shed some light on this. Photorec though is going slow but recovering data. I think I have tried like 30 different software packages, with photored being the ONLY ONE to recover ANYTHING at all!

geenky, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HDD crashed, showing as Unknown Device - Similar Threads - HDD crashed showing

2. Device manager shows Unknown USB Device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Device manager shows Unknown USB Device: Device manager shows Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed Here are the files:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnqODU59jkasgfasAUMd6Uq6mQyCqac?e=SfpeQe...
  3. Device manager shows Unknown USB Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device manager shows Unknown USB Device: Device manager shows Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed Here are the files:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnqODU59jkasgfasAUMd6Uq6mQyCqac?e=SfpeQe...
  4. Device manager shows Unknown USB Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unifying reciever shows as "Unknown Device"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unifying reciever shows as "Unknown Device": I just purchased a M510 wireless mouse for my laptop. I've never had an issue with the other 3 I own, and this worked great for the first week I had it. But since I removed the USB reciever and plugged it back in, it only shows as unknown device in the setting menu, and...
  6. Unknown device / external HDD

Unknown device / external HDD: For each USB HDD I plug I get an added unknown device showing under Volume/volume manager. Seagates and Western Digitals. Properties show drivers not installed. Code 28. Auto search driver yields error. found drivers for your device but encountered an error while...
  7. Unknown Devices showing up in Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown Devices showing up in Network: So, I've encountered this once before, but it's recently happened again. Got a device named 'austin' showing up in my Windows network section of Explorer. Its vendor was labelled 'Amazon', and it had no IP address - only a MAC address. To double my confusion, when I...
  8. Device Manager shows > Other devices> Unknown Device

Device Manager shows > Other devices> Unknown Device: I noticed a few days ago that Device Manager was showing an unknown Device, and I'm not sure how to correct that. I was thinking of deleting it, but that I should ask on the forum first. My system seems to be running ok save for my running slow when opening programs, but I've...
  9. Unknown Device Showing In Xbox Account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown Device Showing In Xbox Account.: My account shows a connected device that I did not attach to my xboxone,and when I click on the icon it redirects me.how do I find out A.what the device is and B.where/when/how it was connected to my account? ***Moved From: Microsoft Edge/All other issues/Windows 10***...
  10. HDD Shows in Devices But not in Explorer

HDD Shows in Devices But not in Explorer: I've got a zereoed HDD I want to format but formatting in win10 doesn't seem to be done by any disk handling prog I have found as yet. I was told to right click on the drive in Explorer and pick format. But the drive doesn't show in Explorer. the system sees it...