Windows 10: HDD Disappeared from File Explorer after upgrade to Ver 1709

Discus and support HDD Disappeared from File Explorer after upgrade to Ver 1709 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; One of my drives disappeared from the left hand side pane of file explorer (see image). [img] It is categorised as a removable disk like the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by shag00, Dec 13, 2017.

1. shag00 Win User

HDD Disappeared from File Explorer after upgrade to Ver 1709

One of my drives disappeared from the left hand side pane of file explorer (see image).

HDD Disappeared from File Explorer after upgrade to Ver 1709 [​IMG]

It is categorised as a removable disk like the other HDDs and I used the registry hack found here Add or Remove Duplicate Drives in Navigation Pane in Windows 10
    I can see this is a recurring issue that started some years ago but the old fix seems not to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

shag00, Dec 13, 2017
  2. ReinLind Win User

Huawei E3372 LTE USB Stick not working

After upgrading to Windows 10 ver 1709

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate]

ReinLind, Dec 13, 2017
  3. Julie Ram Win User
    Upgrade from Ver 1703 to Ver 1709

Hi Vedran,

Conflicts with the Windows Updates settings is one of the possible reasons why you're having issues with installing the update. But before we proceed in resolving this, I'd like to know if you're getting any error messages when installing the update.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you run the provided troubleshooting steps below:

If the given troubleshooting steps didn't work the way it should, then I recommend that you
    perform a repair upgrade. This is a process of installing
    Windows 10 over the existing installation of Windows 10 on your hard disk, using your installation DVD or ISO file. Performing this can repair broken operating system files while preserving your personal files, settings and installed applications. To do so,
    follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa through this link.

Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to post back.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Julie Ram, Dec 13, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

A actual drive or a Partition. What does it show in Device Manager, hidden devices? If you boot with a Linux Live DVD, what does it show in GPARTed?

bro67, Dec 13, 2017
  5. shag00 Win User
    It is an actual HDD.

Device Manager:

Gparted shows the missing drive with the flag: MSFTDATA, however another drive also has this flag so it's likely not the issue.

shag00, Dec 13, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey Shag00,
    What does Disk Management show? I'm wondering if it might be a drive letter conflict

Eagle51, Dec 13, 2017
  7. shag00 Win User
    Disk management shows what you would expect it to show. I have already tried changing the drive letter but no fix.

shag00, Dec 13, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

spunk, Dec 13, 2017
  9. shag00 Win User
    @spunk
    the drive operates normally, I have run gsmartcontrol just to check, no errors at all. I have previously followed all the steps in the MS link. The drive does appear under the THIS PC "Library" it has just disappeared as a separate entry which it was prior to the upgrade. The scanner is OK, every MS update it wipes the scanner driver plus a few other things and I need to re-install them.

shag00, Dec 13, 2017
  10. jumanji Win User
    Just shooting in the dark. Try this no harm.

In Windows Disk Management disk map, rightclick on the Disk 2 icon on the left and make it offline. Toggle it back to online. ( You must reboot your PC after the toggle for the change to take effect )

Just in case the unique id of disk 1 and disk 2 or any other disk are the same , this should change the unique id of Disk 2.

jumanji, Dec 13, 2017
  11. shag00 Win User
    HDD offline/online and reboot had no effect.

shag00, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HDD Disappeared from File Explorer after upgrade to Ver 1709 - Similar Threads - HDD Disappeared File

2. icons and files disappeared after a upgrade

in Windows 10 Customization
    icons and files disappeared after a upgrade: After my system updated all except 2 icons on my taskbar disappeared-phone & mail. When I tried to access them from the start menu, it would underline any site I clicked on but never went to the site. When I clicked on the small square it would fade, but never go to the...
  3. Internal HDD disappears randomly only at start up from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal HDD disappears randomly only at start up from File Explorer: Good day,This might get a bit long so here we go...Some stats:O.S.: Win 10 Pro 64 bit up to date as of todayMotherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VII HERO WIFI BIOS and driver are up to dateCPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700Memory: Corsair Dominator running at 3000 MHzBoot Drive: Samsung 970...
  4. HDD Disappear after crash

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Disappear after crash: Hello I run into a trouble. I was playing game and it crashed then I reboot my laptop and when it rebooting it starts so slow. I use SSD for booting and it usually takes 10 secs and this time it takes more than 3 minutes. I see in the file explorer that the D drive is...
  5. Upgrade to version 1809 from 1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to version 1809 from 1709: I currently have windows 10 version 1709 and i wnat to upgrade to 1809 but i dont know how to install it if I can. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-to-version-1809-from-1709/35359f03-daee-44c7-8958-977e15869e22
  6. HDD disappears from Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD disappears from Explorer: All was fine until recently. There's been no hardware changes or software installs, apart from possibly Windows updates! Physically all is fine. A 2nd internal HDD E: randomly fails to appear in windows explorer. Rebooting the PC usually resorts the drive view. Q - Why...
  7. Upgrading from 1709

Upgrading from 1709: I just removed an old HP Laptop with W10 ver 1709 from the closet and tried to update it to 1903. The process failed according to Update History and the machine is still at 1709. Repeated attempts yield the same thing. Is there something I can do to get to 1903 and keep my...
  8. Upgrade from Windows 10 ver. 1709 to 1803

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Upgrade from Windows 10 ver. 1709 to 1803: I have performed the subject upgrade and computer appears to operate properly however my personal files were divided among two directories. C:\Users\mylogin and C:\Users\mylogin.000 Is there a way to correct and recombine all the files under one directory?...
  9. windows 10 update from ver.1709 to ver.1809

windows 10 update from ver.1709 to ver.1809: can we update Windows 10 ver.1709 to ver.1809 directly using "Windows 10 Update Assistant"??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-from-ver1709-to-ver1809/891e2f3f-4120-495c-8e5a-c97032c032ff
  10. Files disappearing after transfer from one hdd to another

in Windows 10 Support
    Files disappearing after transfer from one hdd to another: Hi guys, This is my first post here but i have been reading this forum for a while so I know you guy will do your best to help, so thanks in advance. I run a pc repair shop and have been having an issue where if I transfer files from any hard drive that is pugged into...